Best HALOMD Players Ever

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Pepe4SocialJustice

Best HALOMD Players Ever

Post by Pepe4SocialJustice » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:11 pm

The title is self-explanatory folks. Just please below list your top 5 all time HALOMD players in your opinions, can give reasons or don't need to give reasons. Don't be afraid to list controversial players, just speak your minds.

Nash

Re: Best HALOMD Players Ever

Post by Nash » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:16 am

Ignore the order, this is my list:

Atomical
Jumbo
MadCussack
HandofGod
Baby

Pepe4SocialJustice

Post by Pepe4SocialJustice » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Nash wrote:Ignore the order, this is my list:

Atomical
Jumbo
MadCussack
HandofGod
Baby
I think this is is a pretty good list overall. Not sure how long you've been playing but remember Russac? I don't see him much on MD anymore (I assume he spends most of his times on other versions of Halo) but he's definitely worth considering. Haven't played against Baby, atomical is obviously undisputed, Jumbo yea, MadCossack-eh I mean he's good but is he that unbelievably good? It's up for debate. HandofGod sure-I think though Tim_Reaper could also be in this conversation.

Nash

Post by Nash » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:13 pm

I've been playing for a while, but I took the summer off so I haven't been around that much. If I've played against Russac I may not have had that many fatal encounters. My exclusion of him may be simply because of that.

I'm thinking of players who are good on numerous levels - Offensive, defense, flagging, close quarter combat, snipping, flying, driving, artillery vehicles/combat and survivability. I think of survivability as being able to take on overwhelming odds -- On foot Vs. vehicle. Mongoose vs. Falcon, etc. ...

Reaper is good. I had considered him, but he has his specialties that aren't as wide as the others. That doesn't mean he should be excluded. I won't debate it if someone places him on their list. It's well deserved.

The best sniper/hardest to kill player (for me) was NYC Pho (think that's how he spelled it). Life was miserable for you if he was on the other team. I haven't seen him play in years. Some players are good because they camp, or clearly hack/cheat.

Last,I think of the players on my list as 'Good' players, because they are all around good people and fun to play with. If I see their names in the game inspector I'll quickly join in, as oppose to those who have a good skill set but are trolls, or racist bigots, or just plain assH---s.

-Nash

Pepe4SocialJustice

Post by Pepe4SocialJustice » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:24 pm

Nash wrote:I've been playing for a while, but I took the summer off so I haven't been around that much. If I've played against Russac I may not have had that many fatal encounters. My exclusion of him may be simply because of that.

I'm thinking of players who are good on numerous levels - Offensive, defense, flagging, close quarter combat, snipping, flying, driving, artillery vehicles/combat and survivability. I think of survivability as being able to take on overwhelming odds -- On foot Vs. vehicle. Mongoose vs. Falcon, etc. ...

Reaper is good. I had considered him, but he has his specialties that aren't as wide as the others. That doesn't mean he should be excluded. I won't debate it if someone places him on their list. It's well deserved.

The best sniper/hardest to kill player (for me) was NYC Pho (think that's how he spelled it). Life was miserable for you if he was on the other team. I haven't seen him play in years. Some players are good because they camp, or clearly hack/cheat.

Last,I think of the players on my list as 'Good' players, because they are all around good people and fun to play with. If I see their names in the game inspector I'll quickly join in, as oppose to those who have a good skill set but are trolls, or racist bigots, or just plain assH---s.

-Nash
You take a more holistic approach towards defining skill, I see now how your list makes more sense-I was thinking more strictly in terms of ability to get a high kdr (kill death ratio). I suppose your criteria may be more accurate given that those traits more contribute to team wins as opposed to individual performance, so now it makes sense why you'd include MadCossack/HandofGod.
There was a guy I saw like last year, HerbThePerv who was the hardest player to kill I've ever encountered-think he had something like a 37-2 kdr. Never saw him again tho, perhaps he changed his name. NYCPHO-rings a bell, I remember him being pretty hard to kill as well.

Nash

Post by Nash » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:55 pm

Some players have high kdr scores from spawn camping. Others have a speciality that they focus on such as achieving high kill score with a Falcon, or tank. I've nothing against that expect it tends to make them a little 1-dimensional. There was a version on Bigass where a player could dominate a base with a tank, or even a Falcon. The countermeasure to that was the tower gun.

Pepe4SocialJustice

Post by Pepe4SocialJustice » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:03 pm

Nash wrote:Some players have high kdr scores from spawn camping. Others have a speciality that they focus on such as achieving high kill score with a Falcon, or tank. I've nothing against that expect it tends to make them a little 1-dimensional. There was a version on Bigass where a player could dominate a base with a tank, or even a Falcon. The countermeasure to that was the tower gun.
Yea that makes sense. That being said, what do you think of notorious and skilled spawn campers such as wt, John Boner, and Osama? Such players get high kdr's from camping although it's difficult to ascertain their holistic skill. Would such players in your eyes not really be great at all?

Nash

Post by Nash » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:29 pm

I've dealt with them both. Osama isn't so bad, but Boner, whose been banned a number of times, a few for being a bigot or racist, is an insufferable troll. I won't consider him because he's taken the easy way to a high kill score. I look at spawn camping as shooting fish in a barrel. There's really nothing impressive about it other than the player has taken the path of least resistance.

Spawn campers also aren't (always) team players, and in any team game that's another factor I look at, especially if a characters offers help or instructions to others. Get in a hog with Atomical, Jumbo or Mad, and you're in for one hell of a ride.

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:27 pm

For me the best players I've played with or against on Halo MD would probably be: bun, spf, a vehicle and MR GOAT. Russac isn't bad either but he is a bit of a troll sometimes, which can be annoying.

Pepe4SocialJustice

Post by Pepe4SocialJustice » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:42 pm

HandofGod wrote:For me the best players I've played with or against on Halo MD would probably be: bun, spf, a vehicle and MR GOAT. Russac isn't bad either but he is a bit of a troll sometimes, which can be annoying.

If I'm not mistaken, MR GOAT was permanently banned for hacking (look him up on YouTube), although that could have just been because ADM[CAESAR] is a douche-but either way I'm curious to know if you've ever played against HerbThePerv, Tim_Reaper, Daddy-O, or SovietSanta. Have to agree with you on bun, spf,-a vehicle is pretty darn good too, I didn't know Russac was a troll-he never talks when I've played against him, I do know he's the best player on SniperGulch I've ever seen.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:48 pm

I don't keep up with recent times anymore, but Bun was one of the top skilled players (on the Mac side) when this game used to be extremely competitive around 8-10 years ago. MR GOAT is also an oldish player (at least from 2010? guessing..) so I know he's good as well, and doesn't hack. spf is decent as well I'm pretty sure. I'm no good at this game anymore =), but I did participate in a bunch of organized competitions back then. Boy was it fun, but also very tense/heated compared to pub games.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:00 pm

Clan Halo had a ton of really great players. Literally everyone in Phoenix clan was incredible.
I remember getting crushed by Phoenix in many KWs.

Man, those were the days. I remember developing the official KW map with nil and sword.

EDIT:

However, with that said. I'd say Jon was the greatest player I ever met. Also a great hacker that helped make HaloMD and Pearl.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:38 am

Jon is pretty good but didn't play competitively. He's a pretty nice player to be around and great programmer though. He goes onto MD from time to time with some different pseudonym (maybe one already mentioned here?) I can never keep track of anymore.

Back in 2012, the clan halo folk helped me a lot with getting the HaloMD player base started.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Nash

Post by Nash » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:55 am

Some time ago there was a version of Bigass that had a hall of fame, or a stats board for players. There were kill numbers, deaths, flag scores, and other areas covered. It was an odd version where you were awarded points for high stats, which you used to upgrade things.

Personally, I didn't like it because it favored the really good players who got stronger, faster and better, making it harder for less skilled players to compete. The less skilled players became canon fodder for the enhanced players, which increased the points awarded to the good players and the cycle continued. Anyway, the version didn't last long. I wonder if anyone has any screen grabs from that time showing some the top players?

Pepe4SocialJustice

Post by Pepe4SocialJustice » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:45 pm

nil wrote:I don't keep up with recent times anymore, but Bun was one of the top skilled players (on the Mac side) when this game used to be extremely competitive around 8-10 years ago. MR GOAT is also an oldish player (at least from 2010? guessing..) so I know he's good as well, and doesn't hack. spf is decent as well I'm pretty sure. I'm no good at this game anymore =), but I did participate in a bunch of organized competitions back then. Boy was it fun, but also very tense/heated compared to pub games.
No offense but I'm not sure where you've been the last two years...MR GOAT was banned, first by ADM[CAESAR] (as I mentioned, a despicable moderator and generally unliked by the MD community), and then banned from all the MD servers. I personally liked GOAT but he was hacking, as is shown by this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwvoAoDFol8)

I agree with NASH about the Hall of Fame version, wasn't a great idea because it just made it impossible for newbies to get anywhere. Random question: anybody remember BotTest? (i might be amiss on the capitalization). I remember a couple games where that guy went ham, like 50-4 kdr's and that kind of ridiculousness. Probably under a different pseudonym now.
Also I personally find spawn camping to be legitimate-although trolls like Boner and Osama abuse it, it's still a great way to get kills IMHO.