Help the Mac AoE cause

Everything about the AoE series.
n8mac

Help the Mac AoE cause

Post by n8mac » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi everyone!

I bet I don't have to tell you that us Mac Age of Empires players are a niche within a niche. I have looked long and hard for a supportive site/forum for us. While this site is good for general Mac gaming, it is not dedicated (nor should it) to AoK or its series.

Sure we can go to sites dedicated to the series but Mac specific knowledge is virtually nonexistent. So this leaves us longing for more as Von Mixer's earlier thread can attest.

So to help the cause I have created a thread within the forums on the most popular Age of Empires series website. Heavengames (the main website) has a different website for each Age game. So I chose the AoK (AoEII) site that can be found here...
www.aok.heavengames.com

The thread can be found here...
http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokc ... 37047,0,10

If you wish you can register there, post your hopefully positive thoughts on getting a Mac forum, or at least a Mac FAQ, started.

lewbylew
Veteran

Post by lewbylew » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:38 pm

Hey N8mac, I want an AoE II forum for macs too, the one I use ismy forums :P but I bet that if there was a non-clan AoE II Mac site, I would support it entirely :)

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:01 am

This site can function as a dedicated area for the AOE games. The Halo Demo section is an example of just such a thing. Now the reason AOE section here isn't that big is because the community hasn't come and used this area. Alot of Mac AOE knowledge seems to be spread between various clan sites. Some of the AOE 3 players have kind of taken over the GameRanger forums for AOE 3 strategies. That works out fine until more posts show up on that forum and the strategies disappear.

This site is probably the most neutral site for AOE since I'm not active in that community or with any of the clans. I don't know who I'm suppose to hate. 8)

If you guys want this area or this site to expand the AOE section, I am open to ideas. The Halo Demo section is a perfect example of expansion as the community grew.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

n8mac

Post by n8mac » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:24 pm

@Von Mixer
Have you registered on heavens site yet or do you feel it's a waste of time?

@Monoman
Thanks for your response. This site is setup fine for the AoE series, but it's missing one thing: traffic. I know there are other Mac AoE non-clan users out there. How to get their attention?

So far the best response at heavens site is to get a sticky with FAQs. Great :roll: Until more Mac users start voicing their opinion over there, then it will be 1 vs 100.

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:37 pm

The main way to get traffic coming here would be to just start filling the board with information, recorded games, or strategies and then direct people to the site when they ask you about them. It mostly comes down to people active in the AOE community to be active here. If both of you want this place to become the main area, I would suggest focusing on maybe recorded games or strategies and just start filling this place up with them. The idea behind this is if this place, for example, became the go to place for strategies then people would come here first looking for them. As the site gained returning members they would expand on this area and start adding recorded games, maps, or other information here.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

lewbylew
Veteran

Post by lewbylew » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:29 am

Ok Monoman, that seems like a good idea, I will try and get all my clan members to register here aswell as on my forums.

@N8man: I dont consider AOK heaven to be a waste of time, I just think that a site shared with PC gamers isn't going to be as effective as a site dedicated to mac gamers unless the PC and the mac players can connect somehow, such as in halo, they can play each others mods and play against each other, with AOE II you can only play against mac users :(

seabeast
Green Beret

Post by seabeast » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:22 pm

I finally was able to log in because I looked in my keychain at my username. And yes, that would be a very good idea. I really like AOE III.

Re: Help the Mac AoE cause

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:20 pm

Update: They are not adding a Mac forum @aok.heavengames.com rather adding a FAQ found here

I also added a thread called 'Official AoK Mac thread' found here

So if you know anyone with questions, it's the best I got.

n8mac

Post by n8mac » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:24 pm

...thats me (n8mac) up there called guest. Don't know why it didn't recognize me.

Ragnarok
Veteran

Post by Ragnarok » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:50 am

aoe 3 is ok but you canget better games.
keyboard not found press F1 to continue??

Excentricity

Post by Excentricity » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:30 pm

Personally i would stick with MGM because everything is in the one spot and i don't need to go anywhere else!
You need to find a way to attract users to your site. Everything under one roof is perfect for me. Anyone else?
The Shark: Teno is just mad that he could not find a Troll Rogue to cover in rose petals.
[zT]-Quesadilla: i loves australia sometimes
tenob of bmr: fucking guards still won't give me candy bags
The Shark: I have a bag.
[zT]-Quesadilla: lol wtf?

I'm QUESADILLA

seabeast
Green Beret

Post by seabeast » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:19 pm

Lol. The only forums that are popular and Halo, Spam, and General Discussion.

Excentricity

Post by Excentricity » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:02 am

there isnt enough people still playing age of empires 2... Whatever happened? Age of empires 3 is just a big blob of jizz.
The Shark: Teno is just mad that he could not find a Troll Rogue to cover in rose petals.
[zT]-Quesadilla: i loves australia sometimes
tenob of bmr: fucking guards still won't give me candy bags
The Shark: I have a bag.
[zT]-Quesadilla: lol wtf?

I'm QUESADILLA