Public Info

Moderator: Altimit01

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Public Info

Post by Monoman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:35 am

I have move 2 topics from the public board that dealt with some things many of you want to keep private. This topic of what everyone wants public and what they want private has been discussed before so I'm not going to go into it again. For as much as you want this info to stay private it will never stay that way since the info is available to anyone who knows how to use a search engine. Moving stuff or not talking about stuff in the public board only stops the lazy people who don't want to actually search.

Now a possible solution to help stop this is to actually turn this board into a resource. Currently, to me, this board isn't really a resource for anyone. Yes, there are some tips and code for some stuff but most of the actually information is being done privately between modders. Right now when a person joins this board, they don't gain any new knowledge. The most they gain is that the pelican has been added to bloodgulch but not how to do it. One topic that can be used as an example of how this board should be, is the topic on how to make the pelican drivable in the silent cartographer map. Ideas were discussed on how to do it then once it was figured out, a guide was created to tell others how to do it.

To achieve this many things will need to change.

1. The level of knowledge to gain access to this board. We need to come up with a standard level. The current level worked in the beginning since everyone was new and knowing where and what certain things was the goal.
2. The level of knowledge of this board needs to change. This can be done somewhat easily since I just boot all the inactive or less active modders from the board. I've meaning to do this anyways, just never got around to it.
3. The sharing of knowledge in this board needs to change. I've already discussed this above.

Ok, that is all I can think of at the moment.
Last edited by Monoman on Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Cherub Rock
Peon

Post by Cherub Rock » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:48 am

oh i agree with some of that, i was so friggin happy when i got in cuz i thought i would learn all this stuff from other peopl cuz i had worked up to the point of gaining access to the baord but then when i asked for css vehicle codes, someone was jsut like hell no, find them out for yourself and that bummed me out, and about inactive modders, what would be considered inactive? i dont want to get booted :( i love it here lol
Smashing Pumpkins mo-facko

?mike?
Ranger

Post by ?mike? » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:10 pm

Cherub Rock wrote:oh i agree with some of that, i was so friggin happy when i got in cuz i thought i would learn all this stuff from other peopl cuz i had worked up to the point of gaining access to the baord but then when i asked for css vehicle codes, someone was jsut like hell no, find them out for yourself and that bummed me out, and about inactive modders, what would be considered inactive? i dont want to get booted :( i love it here lol
i absoulutely agree with you and know what you are talking about. when i joined i was expecting to learn all of this cool new stuff......

all i got was a pelican mod for silent cartographer. i mean come on we got on the development board didn't we. how are we supposed to develope without sharing information???

D.T.

Post by D.T. » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:36 pm

Sword and Deox won't like this. Not that I agree with them, but they seem to be the most active, so their info might just never see the light of day. I do like the idea of an open forum for ideas. I personally want to know how to inject models. If I could do that, I could do a major amount of fun things.

Cherub Rock
Peon

Post by Cherub Rock » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:37 pm

i also would like to know how to inject models so for the sake of this forum, if i come across any info on that subject ill inform you D.T.

i just know that some people use a program called wings 3d
Smashing Pumpkins mo-facko

«Beast»
Ranger

Post by «Beast» » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:47 pm

See, here's the thing. I think that the reason that things aren't shared on these boards is not because "the Demo will be 'ruined'", but because people just want to feel unique, or that they are one of the few that know how to do something. Usually these things are model injection (tutorials can be found everywhere, by the way), and importing new objects like the Pelican. But you do have to admit, say you made a great discovery in modding that took a really long time and a good amount of work on your part. Would you really want someone who has no clue what they're doing to just follow some step-by-step instructions so they can reap the benefits of your work? The only people that I know were willing to do something like this were the creators of programs like HMT and HHK. They had to have a great understanding of how Halo data works to create those programs, and then they just released them to the public.

foxrun
Veteran

Post by foxrun » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:55 pm

i know whut you feel beast. occasional hints would be nice though. I do think that people should actually try (experiment, research, trial and error) and not just follow step by step instructions unless its a tutorial or something. I think that would exterminate all chances of people trying to just "reap" the benefits of your work since they would have to work just as hard (with help).

>Shadow<
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by >Shadow< » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:24 pm

Well I wasn't too dissapointed when I first joined 'cause I already had a basic understanding of hex. I already knew some swaps and made several simple mods myself. When I came here I found tons of new info that I didn't know. Now I know a whole lot more and make mods on a regular basis. There still are a ton of things I don't know how to do and would like to learn how to but I still feel that I have made improvments since I got here. I love this board. And personally thank Monoman for allowing me in here. Thanks Monoman! You rock! :D

sword
Ranger

Post by sword » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:41 pm

People learn best on their own.

Find out what a few terms mean, then just mess around. Hell, you can find everything in hex, you don't need all the codes posted. How to do this is even posted online, just adapt it for demo.

Oh, and did I say that you could capitalise my name up there? I think not....

:PPPPPPPPPPP

But yeah, I like originality. Thats one major reason why I don't wish to post how to do things. What fun is it to make a mod, tell how to do certain things, then to see the next 30+ mods made feature exactly what you did. (I'm looking at the other battle rifle mod.)

Oh, and the thing about models is, if your a joiner you cannot see any model changes whatsoever.

Heh, one last thing, you really do remember something longer if you do it on your own rather than reading through a tutorial. Also, by doing things on your own there is a good chance you will learn more about how the map works, as well as things you can change in the process. I remember a while back, I was working on a self driving warthog, then I found a little thing some place and started following it for a half hour or so just to find out exactly what it did, and what else it is linked to. It was pretty interesting too ^_^
The sword.

«Beast»
Ranger

Post by «Beast» » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:37 pm

I've seen those Warthogs in mod videos and was quite curious as to how they work. I should go research that...

D.T.

Post by D.T. » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:50 pm

Sorry so very much about the improper capitalization. Please accept my humble apologies, and my gift of eternal gratitude for being such an inspiring figure.

:beats myself over the head: sword, not Sword, sword......REMEMBER!!!!

D.T.

P.S. I goofed because I forgot that even if your name is the beginning of a sentence, it shouldn't be capitalized. 4th grade English dies hard, you know.

@Beast: What tutorials are you talking about? I tried 2 or three OBJConverter and HMT tutorials with absolutly no success at all. I have a wonderful plasma sword model, but I can't figure out how to get it in.

{SBF}Leader
Veteran

Post by {SBF}Leader » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:47 pm

ok D.T. what format is it in? 3ds obj? PM me and we'll talk.. i know how to add it in.
http://www.clanhalo.forumup.com
not my site.... just go there!!!!!!!

SleepingInsomniac
SEAL

Post by SleepingInsomniac » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:15 pm

how exactly did you make the hogs drive on their own? I made them never slow down... but you have to start them.
- Pseudosleep on halo

{SBF}Leader
Veteran

Post by {SBF}Leader » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:51 pm

wait... SI19.. you mean beast or me? cuz i made that kind of mod
http://www.clanhalo.forumup.com
not my site.... just go there!!!!!!!

SleepingInsomniac
SEAL

Post by SleepingInsomniac » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:53 pm

I was talking to Sword capital S

:P no disrespect or anything