Blam! Developer Communities Network

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: HDM

Post by Sparky » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Someone by the name of pinkylol registered here at the MGM forum using my HDM e-mail address. That's a big "no-no".
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Pinky's a retard on the server...
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:39 pm

At the bottom of the first post, I've added information about how to set up your e-mail client to receive and send e-mail with the HDM mail server.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:42 pm

Sparky wrote:Someone by the name of pinkylol registered here at the MGM forum using my HDM e-mail address. That's a big "no-no".
Ahahhaha I find that kind of funny sorry.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:27 pm

Looks like another spam surge again, I'm getting 200+ messages in an 8-hour period.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:05 am

I went through and manually changed everyone's spam settings to the strictest setting. I whitelisted all mail sent from the HDM mail server domain (although this include-all whitelist might not work). Any possible spam matches will be sent to your "Spam" folder. Check that folder because there will periodically be matches that you would rather not be interpreted as spam. The "Bayes" learning system is also active, so just remove what you consider normal e-mail out of the spam folder if you want it to improve.

EDIT: I also just banned hundreds of new wiki accounts. I think the e-mail settings on the wiki are being abused by bots. So either I turn off the e-mail privilege on the wiki, or we continue to ban accounts that are 1 week old and have no legit content on their user pages.
Last edited by Sparky on Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:27 pm

AID and nil have been doing a great job, but I need another person to handle registrations, to ban accounts that are 1 week old and have no human activity on their User Pages. So I'm looking to promote someone else to Bureaucrat so this issue in particular can be handled. Who wants to help? There are other rights that would go along with this task, so this person must be scrupulous.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:23 pm

If you think you can trust me, I can do it.
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:38 am

Hmm... no more takers?

---

I added an entry to the Installing Mods instructions that suggest a method for organizing and installing mods with the Universal Binary builds of Halo and Halo Demo. This is to help promote modding the Halo Demo UB version. We don't have an HDemoLauncher that works with the UB versions yet.
http://www.halodemomods.com/wiki/Instal ... ds_of_Halo

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Vegerot and I discussed some ideas for HDM:

- Use the Meta Keywords extension: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MetaKeywords
- Use a tabbed layout (add a tab to each page using this extension) with: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:DynamicTabs (or what's on this page: http://www.halopedian.com/index.php?title=Data_Drop) using info from http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:FA ... my_wiki.3F
- Upload File page should let you enter keywords
- Make a {{TEMPLATE}} for uploaded files' pages that improves its appearance

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Basically our problem is that the Mod Database is really cluttered. So I came up with an idea.

1. Totally remove the Mod database page, except for maybe making it like a "featured mods" page or something.
I also came up with some things to help out the developers:
2. Every mod will now have its own page, so that way the developers will be able to go into more depth when explaining their mods, even give tutorials filled with pictures for step-by-step walkthroughs on how they made their mod, for example.

3. Add a tagging system for the pages, I went really in depth on this on mumble with Sparky. But essentially it would allow me (as the consumer) to type in "invincibility" and all the invincibility mods would come up. Or type in "wieldable energy sword" and "biped mod" and all mods with modded bipeds and wieldable energy swords will appear.

4. Just do a total overhaul of HDM, and make it awesome, with a combination of the features I said above, and a bunch of other features I told Sparky but don't feel like writing here, and a new UI and all that good stuff, just totally update HaloDemoMods to go with the trend of updating websites around this time (i.e. Xbox, Xbox,com, Waypoint, Waypoint.com).
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

Excend
Commando

Post by Excend » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Vegerot wrote:Basically our problem is that the Mod Database is really cluttered. So I came up with an idea.

1. Totally remove the Mod database page, except for maybe making it like a "featured mods" page or something.
We should at the very least have a mod archive.
TaxiService wrote:Roses are red
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:21 pm

I mean the mods will still be there, it's just the way you search for them would be different.
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:40 pm

This involves creating templates for files in the Mods category and categorizing mods.

Primarily, this involves revising the code on the Upload File page so that additional information can be provided about the mod before you hit the upload button. This information will let you say if it's a mod and choose some categories to add to the FilePage (or the Mod's new page if we only use the File Page as its current main purpose being a download link).

Categorizing mods upon upload will allow easier grouping of similar mods by using Category pages.

If we give each uploaded Mod a new page at the option of the user, then a template can be placed on it and it will give people more incentive to discuss mods using the template rather than the file's page which is cluttered.

I'm also thinking something like this would be possible to index map file data so that you can search an uploaded map file (within a .zip file) for tags right from the wiki search function:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:FileIndexer

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Also, one of the many things I was talking to Sparky about is having both tagging(aka keywords, search-phrases, whatever), AND categories. It seems very similar on the surface, but it's not.