Is HaloMD dead with macOS 10.15 (Catalina)?

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Conkers

Is HaloMD dead with macOS 10.15 (Catalina)?

Post by Conkers » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:04 pm

Now that macOS Catalina is killing off 32-bit apps, will haloMD survive or is this the end of the line?

HandofGod
Peon

Re: Is HaloMD dead with macOS 14?

Post by HandofGod » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:09 am

From what nil has said (he's the creator of HaloMD) is that yes it will be the end of the line for HaloMD. It's a 32bit app and Apple hates those so it won't work in Catalina :( Will be the end of the line for most unless you don't upgrade to Catalina. RIP HaloMD 2012-2019

Jumbo

Re: Is HaloMD dead with macOS 10.15 (Catalina)?

Post by Jumbo » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:28 pm

The answer is NO....... Catalina has not killed HaloMD and I can prove it.

I am now playing HaloMD on my new iMac running Catalina. Yes, you heard that right. However, I am not using Catalina to run it, I'm using Mohave.
You see, I have both Catalina and Mohave installed on my Mac. I partitioned part of my SSD hard drive and installed Mohave on that drive from a flash/thumb drive with a Mohave installer on it. I found some instructions on how to make a startup drive out of your flash drive. Not difficult at all. Takes minutes. I then rebooted from that flash drive and simply installed Mohave onto the 2cd partition I created on my SSD hard drive. I did run into some problems here and it took quite a while for me to figure it out. Seems my bluetooth mouse would not work with the installer, so I found an old keyboard and wired mouse I had in a drawer and hooked it up. Voila! It installed flawlessly and so far is working great. When I want to play HaloMD, I simply switch my startup disk in Catalina system prefs and reboot from my "Mohave" drive. A bit of a hassle, but worth it to keep playing HaloMD. Mohave is the last Mac OS that will run HaloMD, but you could install earlier versions as well I guess.

I'm no expert and perhaps thats the reason it took me so long to figure this out (I was absent for over 6 months....) Hope this helps anyone out there that wants to upgrade their Mac to the latest OS.......but ALSO wants to keep playing HaloMD.

8)

jeepwrangler

Post by jeepwrangler » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:06 pm

Jumbo wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:28 pm The answer is NO....... Catalina has not killed HaloMD and I can prove it.

I am now playing HaloMD on my new iMac running Catalina. Yes, you heard that right. However, I am not using Catalina to run it, I'm using Mohave.
You see, I have both Catalina and Mohave installed on my Mac. I partitioned part of my SSD hard drive and installed Mohave on that drive from a flash/thumb drive with a Mohave installer on it. I found some instructions on how to make a startup drive out of your flash drive. Not difficult at all. Takes minutes. I then rebooted from that flash drive and simply installed Mohave onto the 2cd partition I created on my SSD hard drive. I did run into some problems here and it took quite a while for me to figure it out. Seems my bluetooth mouse would not work with the installer, so I found an old keyboard and wired mouse I had in a drawer and hooked it up. Voila! It installed flawlessly and so far is working great. When I want to play HaloMD, I simply switch my startup disk in Catalina system prefs and reboot from my "Mohave" drive. A bit of a hassle, but worth it to keep playing HaloMD. Mohave is the last Mac OS that will run HaloMD, but you could install earlier versions as well I guess.

I'm no expert and perhaps thats the reason it took me so long to figure this out (I was absent for over 6 months....) Hope this helps anyone out there that wants to upgrade their Mac to the latest OS.......but ALSO wants to keep playing HaloMD.

8)
Yes you can install older versions of macOS or Windows on Intel Macs but the new Macs coming out are ARM-based (M1) which makes it basically impossible to run 32bit Intel apps like Halo for Mac.

These days I just use my cheap Windows laptop to play HaloMD if there are ever people playing. I started playing more Master Chief Collection since its included with Game Pass.

The MD community sure was a great one!

KV_Dexter

Post by KV_Dexter » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:16 am

HaloMD won't run on Macs with 64-bit OS, but Halo CE (Custom Edition) does! Thanks to CrossOver and works quite well.