Can we join PC servers?

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

DudeQuestion

Can we join PC servers?

Post by DudeQuestion » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:10 am

Hey guys,

I've noticed that MD has been quiet recently... is it possible to load the PC server map list?

Usually I don't like playing on PC servers (too many hackers and such) but sometimes when MD is dead, I gotta get some Halo in!
;)

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: Can we join PC servers?

Post by nil » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 pm

You can add a specific PC servers in MD by navigating to Game -> Show Favorites... in the menu bar of the lobby application.

Find a server list and find a list of servers you enjoy playing in. If you find a good small set of servers, this will be more worthwhile than loading an entire list in my opinion. I'm not sure if any of the servers have a CD key restrictions, but chances are SAPP ones don't.

MD activity may get better at the end of this month / next month if people come back to school, but who knows.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Ranger

Post by 002 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:27 pm

nil wrote:I'm not sure if any of the servers have a CD key restrictions, but chances are SAPP ones don't.
Technically they do, but only to detect if a key doesn't match the hash (which may mean that the client is trying to steal someone's hash). Invalid CD keys are allowed, though.
DudeQuestion wrote:is it possible to load the PC server map list?
Not the server list itself, but you can manually add servers or direct IP to them.

You will need to somehow get the full version multiplayer maps, though, if you don't want to play Blood Gulch. Multiplayer maps include every map except sounds.map, ui.map, and bitmaps.map, as well as every map that isn't formatted with a single number followed by two numbers, such as b30.

You can install these maps by copying them to your MD maps folder. To get to the MD maps folder, go to the lobby, click on Mods in the menu bar, click Reveal Mods in Finder. Alternatively, you can invoke Shift+Command+M. Finder will reveal the location of your maps folder, where you can simply copy the maps.

Also, Samuco and I are also working on an MD plugin for the CE server list, which has the same requirements of having every single map installed. To minimize hassle, it likely won't be downloadable on HaloMD since you will need three different plugins to get it fully working, but I'll try posting a link to them in on this forum.

DudeQuestion

Post by DudeQuestion » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:07 am

Wow, great info guys! Thanks for the server list, Nil.

And that sounds really cool about the CE server list, 002. Could be a game changer for MD. Cheers!

cry.exe

Post by cry.exe » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:00 am

Yessssss! I didn't even know this option existed. HaloMD is great :D

nil/002/Samuco: Is there any progress on this CE server list plugin?
Thank you

Ranger

Post by 002 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:02 am

cry.exe wrote:Yessssss! I didn't even know this option existed. HaloMD is great :D

nil/002/Samuco: Is there any progress on this CE server list plugin?
Thank you
I was planning on releasing everything at some point, as it's nearly done, but I'm still not quite sure how it'll be released. Some extensions cannot be released on the HaloMD lobby, like the lobby itself, and will require being manually downloaded.

The ability to join CE servers has been available for quite a while already through the use of Samuco's Halo+ plugin (downloadable through the HaloMD client itself), though you will need the stock maps from the full version of Halo in order to join these servers. Otherwise, you're limited to Blood Gulch servers, as usual. You'll also need to use direct IP to join these servers, and you can't use CE maps even if they're converted due to how Halo CE's netcode works.

I did write extensions to allow CE maps to run without conversion and auto-download CE maps via HAC2, but neither are available on HaloMD, either. When I upload them, they'll have to be downloaded manually.