How Can I Make a Mod Tool

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

A Stick

How Can I Make a Mod Tool

Post by A Stick » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:34 am

So before I found out about HaloMD I actually programmed apps and stuff like that and I want to learn how to make a mod tool for Halo like Eschaton or any of the other mac editors. What programming language were they made in. Objective C? Java?
IGN: a stick
Discord: Stick#9145

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: How Can I Make a Mod Tool

Post by nil » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:55 pm

A Stick wrote:So before I found out about HaloMD I actually programmed apps and stuff like that and I want to learn how to make a mod tool for Halo like Eschaton or any of the other mac editors. What programming language were they made in. Objective C? Java?
Well for a map editor, you'd want to familiarize yourself with Halo map's data format say with a Hex Editor and other existing resources. Modzy and 002 know more than me about Halo maps (I virtually know nothing), so maybe they'd have some resources to link somewhere..

Some of our tools and programs including Eschaton and swordedit/archon also have their source code available if you look hard enough. Eschaton was written in xojo, a lot of other apps are written in Obj-C/Cocoa, some written in C++/Qt. Not sure the platform or language choice really matters initially for learning purposes.

I suggest first creating something small and workable in any case, maybe even first starting with a command line utility.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

A Stick

Post by A Stick » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:43 pm

nil wrote:
A Stick wrote:So before I found out about HaloMD I actually programmed apps and stuff like that and I want to learn how to make a mod tool for Halo like Eschaton or any of the other mac editors. What programming language were they made in. Objective C? Java?
Well for a map editor, you'd want to familiarize yourself with Halo map's data format say with a Hex Editor and other existing resources. Modzy and 002 know more than me about Halo maps (I virtually know nothing), so maybe they'd have some resources to link somewhere..

Some of our tools and programs including Eschaton and swordedit/archon also have their source code available if you look hard enough. Eschaton was written in xojo, a lot of other apps are written in Obj-C/Cocoa, some written in C++/Qt. Not sure the platform or language choice really matters initially for learning purposes.

I suggest first creating something small and workable in any case, maybe even first starting with a command line utility.
Thank you. I plan to make a tool that makes it easier to spawn ai in maps such a Blood Gulch where there aren't any ai spawns by default.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:12 am

Yeah that would probably require depth knowledge of the map format. Just as a warning though, AIs do not synchronize over multiplayer across multiple players.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

A Stick

Post by A Stick » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:40 am

nil wrote:Yeah that would probably require depth knowledge of the map format. Just as a warning though, AIs do not synchronize over multiplayer across multiple players.
So you mean what one person sees may be different than what another person sees.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:25 pm

Yeah, that's what I mean - synchronizing AIs is unsolved and hard problem. AI's being mounted on vehicles might work okay though, but I'm not really sure. Sparky's Eschaton plug-ins may be a good resource for offsets 'n stuff. Another resource and one more on the map formats.

A Stick

Post by A Stick » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:36 pm

nil wrote:Yeah, that's what I mean - synchronizing AIs is unsolved and hard problem. AI's being mounted on vehicles might work okay though, but I'm not really sure. Sparky's Eschaton plug-ins may be a good resource for offsets 'n stuff. Another resource and one more on the map formats.
Ok thank you and is there a way to make a custom map with blender?