Problem with using swordedit on converted CE maps.

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

ThePolice

Problem with using swordedit on converted CE maps.

Post by ThePolice » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:15 am

So I am modding an original CE map and I converted the map to demo using pearl 1.2. When using swordedit sunlight and when I for example delete a scenery object and then convert the demo map to MD, the map will crash when loaded.

So I was wondering if there was a problem with the conversion process? Swordedit is not the problem because I can use it on any map that was originally a demo version and have no problems. It seems like adding or deleting scenery, vehicle or item collection references will crash the map. Can I fix the map by using a hex editor or something?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: Problem with using swordedit on converted CE maps.

Post by nil » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:51 am

Converting to demo is unnecessary. You want a direct CE -> Full/MD conversion. Pearl 2 should be able to do that.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

ThePolice

Post by ThePolice » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:59 am

Yes but I need to convert it to demo to be able to rebuild the map with eschaton.

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:23 pm

What map is it?

ThePolice

Post by ThePolice » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:43 pm

Timberland

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:42 am

Is it just the stock version of Timberland you are trying to mod or is it a custom edition mod of Timberland from halomaps? I have had no problem with rebuilding the stock version of Timberland with Eschaton and then changing things around on swordedit, it's what I did on Canopy, my modded version of Timberland, which is on HaloMD. Generally though swordedit can be pretty annoying to work with and I think it can break maps so that's also something you should take into account but I'm sure you already know that.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:16 am

ThePolice wrote:Yes but I need to convert it to demo to be able to rebuild the map with eschaton.
Eschaton is designed to work for retail maps. I still don't see why demo is necessary.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

ThePolice

Post by ThePolice » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:48 pm

Still not sure what was causing the map to crash but I gave up on trying to fix it.
HandofGod wrote:Is it just the stock version of Timberland you are trying to mod or is it a custom edition mod of Timberland from halomaps? I have had no problem with rebuilding the stock version of Timberland with Eschaton and then changing things around on swordedit, it's what I did on Canopy, my modded version of Timberland, which is on HaloMD. Generally though swordedit can be pretty annoying to work with and I think it can break maps so that's also something you should take into account but I'm sure you already know that.
Its a version of timberland I started making on CE and I'm trying to finish it up for MD. I havn't done anything really crazy with the mod to cause it to have problems converting.

@nil
For me at least, MD, PC and CE maps won't rebuild on eschaton. I guess CE and PC maps might rebuild on the windows version of eschaton.