Noob question about maps

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

master both

Noob question about maps

Post by master both » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi! first of all, congrats on everyone that made this possible, it is amazing that this exists and I can't be more gratful :D

Ok, now to some noob questions. Keep in mind I know nothing about how halo works and how mods are made, I just play it when the gamespy servers still existed.

So from what I have read in this forum, haloMD is based on the demo which uses a different map format than haloPC and haloCE (correct me if I'm wrong), with that in mind, I have been trying to convert a haloCE map to haloMD (icefield) with Pearl 2.0 (is this the best choice?), but it errors everytime, maybe it's because I don't know how to use it. It ask's me two directories, one is the "target", which I'm guessing it's the map to convert, and the other ("Full Maps") which I have no idea what to do with it.

Another noob question, can I use that map to play on a different server? because that's my main goal.
Thanks, I hope this isn't too much trouble to answer.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: Noob question about maps

Post by nil » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:30 am

master both wrote: So from what I have read in this forum, haloMD is based on the demo which uses a different map format than haloPC and haloCE (correct me if I'm wrong)...
In technical spirit, HaloMD is based on the full version and uses the same map format as Halo PC, only that we custom rename mods internally and on disk, and have a strong/mandatory versioning convention when it comes to mods.
master both wrote: I have been trying to convert a haloCE map to haloMD (icefield) with Pearl 2.0 (is this the best choice?), but it errors everytime, maybe it's because I don't know how to use it. It ask's me two directories, one is the "target", which I'm guessing it's the map to convert, and the other ("Full Maps") which I have no idea what to do with it.
Ice Fields is a Halo PC map, not a custom edition one. If it is a mod of ice fields, all you would have to do is rename it via MDRenamer to satisfy MD's requirements. However, we have an exception for unmodified retail maps like ice fields: you can just drop the map un-altered into MD's map folder (Mods -> Reveal Mods in Finder... from menubar) and you should be able to play it.
master both wrote: Another noob question, can I use that map to play on a different server? because that's my main goal.
Thanks, I hope this isn't too much trouble to answer.
You can play on Ice Fields provided you find a server to play on. Since MD is Full compatible, you may be able to direct IP (or add favorites via Game -> Show Favorites... from the menubar) to certain full-version servers (provided there's no serial key issues). You can also try hosting on ice fields, but only other MD players that have the map installed will be able to see your game listed on the MD lobby. Un-installed maps don't get advertised unless they are submitted on the mod database; however, as a policy, we don't allow other retail maps like ice fields to be put on our database (unless they are mods with significant gameplay alterations; eg, see Mudgorge). Only those that own ice fields and other retail maps may use them with MD.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

master both

Re: Noob question about maps

Post by master both » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:01 pm

Thanks for responding, now I get it.