inappropriate language on games

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Protoss98

Re: inappropriate language on games

Post by Protoss98 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:28 pm

Who is removing me from play? Sword you made that up-I'm free to go on the Bigass server anytime I want, i'm not banned or restricted in any way. And rather than respond to any of my arguments-because we both know you have zero legitimate responses, you just belittle me personally and say "good riddance."
Damn, really got me there. What a brilliant comeback! Lol.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Bizarrely, I just came to this forum to start a thread on this exact topic. Odd coincidence to see this thread has been started.

I'd like to weigh in briefly.

As far as I can tell, the age range on the bigass server seems to extend from 12 year old kids up to the more... mature end of the scale (naming no names).

I could be wrong about this, but the players who seem to use words like 'nigger', 'faggot', etc. all seem to be younger.

While I am totally against censorship in any of its forms, I don't believe censorship is what this issue is about.

It's about young and immature players using words online that a) they don't understand, and b) would earn them a smack in the mouth in reality. They use these words as a guilty pleasure, despite knowing they're wrong – because they know they can use them without dealing with the repercussions.

I am not some weeping liberal pencilneck, lamenting all the nasty language people use. I am British, I refer to my friends as 'cunts', I enjoy bad language in all its forms.

What I do not enjoy is knowing there are young children being taught that it's ok to use deeply charged words online without any fear of retribution, and what this might entail for their offline lives.

Personally I would like to see the mods taking a tougher stance on the players who come online to disrupt games with words deliberately chosen to be as offensive as possible.

It's not about censoring certain words. It's about generally setting the right example to younger players.

TL;DR I'm not suggesting that language is policed in and of itself on the bigass server. More that it would be nice to set the right example to younger players by keeping the bigotry in check.

I think that's important.

aimbot

Post by aimbot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:08 pm

Guest wrote:Bizarrely, I just came to this forum to start a thread on this exact topic. Odd coincidence to see this thread has been started.

I'd like to weigh in briefly.

As far as I can tell, the age range on the bigass server seems to extend from 12 year old kids up to the more... mature end of the scale (naming no names).

I could be wrong about this, but the players who seem to use words like 'nigger', 'faggot', etc. all seem to be younger.

While I am totally against censorship in any of its forms, I don't believe censorship is what this issue is about.

It's about young and immature players using words online that a) they don't understand, and b) would earn them a smack in the mouth in reality. They use these words as a guilty pleasure, despite knowing they're wrong – because they know they can use them without dealing with the repercussions.

I am not some weeping liberal pencilneck, lamenting all the nasty language people use. I am British, I refer to my friends as 'cunts', I enjoy bad language in all its forms.

What I do not enjoy is knowing there are young children being taught that it's ok to use deeply charged words online without any fear of retribution, and what this might entail for their offline lives.

Personally I would like to see the mods taking a tougher stance on the players who come online to disrupt games with words deliberately chosen to be as offensive as possible.

It's not about censoring certain words. It's about generally setting the right example to younger players.

TL;DR I'm not suggesting that language is policed in and of itself on the bigass server. More that it would be nice to set the right example to younger players by keeping the bigotry in check.

I think that's important.
This was written by me, BTW.

I also want to add that this isn't meant to be a criticism of love, who seems to be a really decent guy.

It's a response to the OP.

Protoss98

Post by Protoss98 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:53 am

Well first off I have a lot more respect for you than sword, who doesn't contribute anything meaningful to the discussion other than insults. But I have a major problem with your advocacy. You claim you're "totally against censorship"-yet, you conclude your post by advocating a form of censorship-booting players who use what you deem to be bigoted language. But there you go again-who decides which language is bigoted-because some people would say the word "cunt" is far more bigoted than the word "faggot"-which in some contexts just means the same thing as douchebag or asshole, neither of those words are banned. Most people don't even use faggot meaning gay (not that i'm necessarily defending use of that word). But my point is that it's not mods job to be the moral police of the gaming community, it's their job to boot aimbotters, spammers, and other people who are clearly only on to do evil, but not to ban the use of particular words.
My position can in fact best be summed up by a quote from one of my favorite characters of all time, William Wallace who said as his balls were getting ripped off and as he was being killed-

"FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!"

aimbot

Post by aimbot » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:19 pm

Protoss98 wrote:Well first off I have a lot more respect for you than sword, who doesn't contribute anything meaningful to the discussion other than insults. But I have a major problem with your advocacy. You claim you're "totally against censorship"-yet, you conclude your post by advocating a form of censorship-booting players who use what you deem to be bigoted language. But there you go again-who decides which language is bigoted-because some people would say the word "cunt" is far more bigoted than the word "faggot"-which in some contexts just means the same thing as douchebag or asshole, neither of those words are banned. Most people don't even use faggot meaning gay (not that i'm necessarily defending use of that word). But my point is that it's not mods job to be the moral police of the gaming community, it's their job to boot aimbotters, spammers, and other people who are clearly only on to do evil, but not to ban the use of particular words.
My position can in fact best be summed up by a quote from one of my favorite characters of all time, William Wallace who said as his balls were getting ripped off and as he was being killed-

"FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!"
there is a campaign in UK football called 'Kick It Out'.

Its purpose is to promote football as a multi racial sport and move past its (relatively ancient) roots as a deeply racist culture.

The campaign has been extremely successful. The main result is that you now rarely hear the sort of racist chanting you used to hear in stadiums, and so today's younger fans aren't exposed to it in the context of the sport.

Positive, right?

It's not 'censorship' to ask people to stop calling other people 'niggers'.

If you can't understand this I feel pretty sorry for you.

Protoss98

Post by Protoss98 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:02 pm

Lol, i literally laughed out loud when I read your reply aimbot. What the hell does "Kick it out" have bullcrap to do with whether or not mods should censor certain words in Halo?
You just lost the respect i had for you before. Shame.
And yes, it is censorship to prevent people from saying certain words-that is the literal definition of censorship. Look it up. Now if you were to say mods should ASK people not to say certain words, yea that's different, rather than simply banning the use of the words themselves.
You're beginning to sound suspiciously like one of the PC police. I can't stand PC police.

Nash

Post by Nash » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:20 pm

I'll try this again since my first post didn't seem to go through.

I'll admit that I haven't read through all of this thread, but I figure I'll add my 2-dimensional cents.

The idea of Freedom of Speech doesn't apply here because this is Bigass. The Mod is not the United States, or any county that has its own version of the Right. The internet is not a country at all. It's a mass communication world-wide medium. That's it. The moderator of the site can make up and enforce any rules they want. If you don't like it, that's tough. Don't play, or make your own mod. Any belief that a player has any kind of right or privilege related to Freedom of Speech is just an attitude of entitlement. You don't. Welcome to the internet.

That being said there is no slippery slop that Love is edging to regarding 'How' she runs the site, because the mod isn't a legal entity under the jurisdiction of any country's law or policy. It's online, on the internet, with players from countries from all over the world.

As a Black man I'm glad that she is enforcing her censorship of the N-word. Whenever I've seen it used in gameplay, or as a username I've been extremely offended. I've survived and fought racism all my life. I've taken a neighbor to court for a hate crime and every fight I've been in throughout my life has been racially motivated. I've won them all.

And I get it. A lot of the players here are In their teens. Their brains are still forming and they lack a sense of empathy and perspective. That doesn't mean they should be cut a break. Love has every right to rule this mod under her rules. If it were mine I'd do the same. Sure, there will always be that asshole bigot who will respell things to get through the filter. That doesn't mean the process should be stopped. When it comes to racism, if it were me, I'd be damned to help it along it's way.

Protoss98

Post by Protoss98 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:53 pm

someone is an easily offended-PC policeman.
Freedom of speech is freedom of speech, even if it's speech you don't like.
I'm glad the government doesn't function under you Nash, because otherwise freedom wouldn't be freedom at all, it would be curtailed to suit your whims.

Nash

Post by Nash » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:21 pm

Freedom of Speech doesn’t apply to the internet, much less a gaming mod. None of them are countries. If you think because you live in the US that everyone in the game is subjected to our laws you are very mistaken. You seem to have a hard time grasping this.

Even with Freedom of Speech that doesn’t mean you are free from the consequences of your words/actions. Say what you want, but if it’s offensive then there’s a consequence for it. In this case you can be banned from the game. The thought of a slippery slope towards censorships doesn’t apply here. The Game is not under the jurisdiction of the US, or any country. It’s controlled by the moderator. It’s their rules. Like it our not, It’s not a Democracy.

It’s just a game. With rules. Break them and you are punished.

Last, I have nothing against Freedom of Speech. I teach in three Art Colleges/Universities in Philadelphia PA. I defend Freedom of Speech and censorship on a daily basis. It doesn’t apply here. If you really want to use Freedom of Speech don’t use it to be infantile, masturbatory, or an all around asshat. Say something meaningful, otherwise it’s a pretty shitty use of that Freedom.

Protoss98

Post by Protoss98 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:57 pm

Bless you sir, you are too kind.
Last edited by Protoss98 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

aimbot

Post by aimbot » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:06 am

Protoss98 wrote:I'm sure you would have enjoyed living under the Soviet Union Nash. They banned any language they didn't like in that country, and you could get thrown in jail for criticizing Stalin. You're probably a libby who voted for that ignorant twat Obama, and you're probably going to vote for another twat like Sanders or Hilary.
I'll keep my guns, money, and freedom-you can keep the CHANGE.
don't feed the troll Nash :-)

Nash

Post by Nash » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:16 am

It’s all right, Aimbot. I couldn’t hear a thing he said under his KKK hood. The fact that he’s going for personal insults just proves that he doesn’t have anything intelligent to say, or add (which is why he’s fighting to use the N-Word). We’ve already won this discussion. Whatever is under his hood is probably as powerful as a mouse fart.

Maybe less.

Protoss98

Post by Protoss98 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:21 am

I would just like to personally congratulate love, aimbot, nil, Nash, and every single other individual who commented on this board.

This whole post was designed to suck all of you onto the level of a troll like me. Although I did mean everything in my original post, I digressed from that to ridicule individual posters such as Nash for my own entertainment. Not that I hate anyone here, but I do think you all need to grow thicker skin and learn that not everyone will respect your feelings or your lofty standards of what "proper" speech should be.

And by the way, my real username on Halo is...

John Boner.

Can't...stop...a boner...

Nash

Post by Nash » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:49 pm

Just curious, Boner ("Can't...stop...a boner...” -- what are you, like ... six-years old or something. That’s the name you’re going with? All right, whatever), if you are accusing myself, or others as being easily offended by words, such as the use of the N-word -- a word with a long an horrible history (since you’re six you may know nothing about it), a word that people have been drawn into physical fights over (myself included), and worse, then what word should we be offended by?

Protoss98

Post by Protoss98 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:21 pm

No word. Don't get offended. Instead, grow a thick skin as I said, do some maturing of your own, and get over it.
People are mean. That's life. Instead of getting offended like a teenage girl going through puberty, I'd encourage you to reflect on how no real harm actually comes to you through a word-only the harm you let it have over you.

This boner out,

Can't...Stop...A Boner