Purely Cosmetic Mods?

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

VashM16

Purely Cosmetic Mods?

Post by VashM16 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:06 pm

Hey there, I'm pretty new to HaloMD and was a little involved in the Halo Demo mac modding scene a while back and I was just wondering:
I used to use a lot of cosmetic mods; there were a ton of really good cosmetic mods that people used to make and use that were purely client side, and didn't require servers to have the maps to use them - is this possible now? Thank you
Have a nice day, and please do treat yourself.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: Purely Cosmetic Mods?

Post by nil » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:27 am

VashM16 wrote:Hey there, I'm pretty new to HaloMD and was a little involved in the Halo Demo mac modding scene a while back and I was just wondering:
I used to use a lot of cosmetic mods; there were a ton of really good cosmetic mods that people used to make and use that were purely client side, and didn't require servers to have the maps to use them - is this possible now? Thank you
Hey there.

It is still possible just as it has been before: just mod what you want in your Mods folder (go to Mods -> Reveal Mods in Finder in the menu bar). If you want your cosmetic changes to affect every map, you may want to alter bitmaps.map and not say, bloodgulch.map, but that's up to you.

Purely "client" side mods cannot be distributed on the MD database, however. The MD lobby ensures that if the server is hosting a mod, that the players who can join them also have the mod. So if you want to make a cosmetic mod to submit on the database, and ensure that everyone playing also has the cosmetic changes, that is also possible. The database and lobby also ensures that players know when they may be joining a modded (or with a different map) game or not. Thus, server-only mods (CSS) are also not relevant anymore and are more or less banned from use.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!