Taking the light out

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Crae

Taking the light out

Post by Crae » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:49 pm

Hey Guys, I am trying to turn the sun off in blood gulch.
My goal would be for it to be pitch black, I tried taking out certain things in eschaton, nulling out the sky tags and things like that, but it ended up breaking the map :(

If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated :)
thanks,
-Anthony

Ranger

Re: Taking the light out

Post by 002 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:38 am

In the sky tag, try nulling out the model and the lens flare.

If you want to remove the lightmaps to make everything completely dark, you can set the lightmaps to bitmap #0, then replace the lightmaps bitmap with the black bitmap. Alternatively, you can modify the lightmaps with an image editor and make them all black, then internalize them.

Crae

Post by Crae » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks for the quick reply! :D
So I tried nulling out those tags and the sky looks great!
But the level is STILL lit up. :(
Even in the caves, its like there is some other light thing that is giving light to the whole level.

I looked through eschaton and I couldn't seem to find the light maps, where are they located?

I want to keep the light on the flashlights, and the weapons and headlights and all that jazz, but de-illuminate the rest of the map.

thanks again for your help! :D
-Anthony

Crae

Post by Crae » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:00 pm

Here is a screenshot from sword edit that KIND OF looks like what I am trying to do...

https://www.mediafire.com/?2q62ckc8pbjp3qp

(In the picture, it looks like sword edit isn't rendering the skins of the rocks or almost anything else for that matter, but you can see what I am saying?)
-Anthony

Ranger

Post by 002 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:12 pm

Like I said, you're going to want to modify the lightmaps, or swap them with ui\shell\black and just modify the BSP so all of the lightmaps are bitmap #0 (so it doesn't crash). Lens flares (the sun in the sky) and lightmaps (the light on the ground) are quite a bit different.

Kayar's Not Dead

Post by Kayar's Not Dead » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:01 am

As 002 said, you need to modify the light maps, not what the perceived light source is. I believe your confusion is this: In our version of reality, the sun is the largest, most prolific light source in our local area. Thus, this must be the case on a Halo, no? However, in the reality of the game, the sun is simply a lens flare effect in the skybox. It actually hardly even gives off any light at all! In the reality of the game, light levels are a constant across all or most areas of a map, and they are present in this way due to lightmaps. Essentially, the very BSP of the map and the bitmaps for all objects are what give off a sort-of light.

Did I miss anything, 002?

Good luck, hope that helps.

Crae

Post by Crae » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Hey guys,

So everything you both said sounds fantastic :)
but I have been searching eschaton to find the light maps but I haven't been able to find them...
Where are they?
How do you edit light maps?

also, if there isn't an external light source illuminating the map, how are there shadows? or are the shadows on the map drawn in?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these :) I really appreciate it :)

-Anthony

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:12 pm

null out the "bitm levels\test\bloodgulch\bloodgulch 000818" in the "sbsp levels\test\bloodgulch\bloodgulch"

Crae

Post by Crae » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:12 am

Tried nulling out what you said samuco, but now it looks even brighter than it was before... it went from this
to this
i'll apologize in advance for the large image file size... ahem, sorry about that :(

Ranger

Post by 002 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:34 pm

Samuco wrote:null out the "bitm levels\test\bloodgulch\bloodgulch 000818" in the "sbsp levels\test\bloodgulch\bloodgulch"
Eww. Don't do that. You'll just use Halo's default fast lighting. Have you even tried doing this??

Crae wrote:Tried nulling out what you said samuco, but now it looks even brighter than it was before... it went from this
i'll apologize in advance for the large image file size... ahem, sorry about that :(
If you are using Shader Workaround, you should update it.

Also, you'll want to set the levels\test\bloodgulch\bloodgulch tag to ui\shell\bitmaps\black. You'll then want to iterate through each lightmap reflexive and set the bitmap to 0. I made a video of me doing just that:

https://youtu.be/0xL_IkAtFNY

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:29 pm

I think Sparky also has a mod of Bloodgulch with it all dark if you want to take a look at that in Eschaton too. I think it's Environment Mod Series: Scary Night. Could be something to check out

Cae

Post by Cae » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:31 pm

Wow, well first off I would like to thanks you 002 for taking the time out of your day to make that video :)
That was really really good thanks man! :D
Easy to follow, results are exactly what I was looking for, there does seem to be a problem unfortunately.
002 on your bsp in eschaton, it had waaaaaaay more options than mine does(no light maps drop down menoo:(, am I missing a plugin or something?
yours
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ncmwt92xp ... ptions.png
mine
http://www.mediafire.com/view/zueemv09w ... ons....png
lol all i have is a vehicle ceiling

also whats a shader workaround?
also when you opened up blood gulch, everything looked GREAT, noticeably better than when I run it,(for example, that plasma piston in ur video was oh so shiny :) and mine not so much,) I have alls the graphix boosted all the way and things like that, am I missing something there as well?

thanks again guys for taking the time to help me out with this, wouldn't be able to do it without cha! :D
-Anthony

crae

Post by crae » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:49 pm

Oh, uh quick fixie on that last post :(
I figured out how to make the plasma piston shiny...
and it looks great!
that was all me, my mistake
sorry
-Anthony

Ranger

Post by 002 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:04 am

Oh, I'm using Sparky's plugins.

http://protonnebula.com/Sparky%27s%20Plugins.zip

And nevermind about Shader Workaround, if you're not using it.

Crae

Post by Crae » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Thanks for the plugin! :D
so I did the things in the video, the only problem is, it crashes even if I have put all the light maps to zero :(
why do you think that is?

also, on your video, from what I could see the light maps didn't get super high and the never got into the double digits
when i was editing it, there was NEVER a negative number, the values for the light maps were all over the place,
starting at 62 and only getting higher from there until light map 16, for me (on yours it was pre-set -1?) was pre-set to 169! does that mean something?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this! :)
-Anthony