Help: Hosting issue diagnosis?

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

100% Juice

Help: Hosting issue diagnosis?

Post by 100% Juice » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:33 am

I recently moved and we had to set up a new router/modem for internet access. I can access the internet, but for some reason other people can't connect to my servers when I host them on HaloMD.

I've tried a variety of things, including installing the port mapper extension and port forwarding, but people still can't seem to connect. Here's what it looks like:

So I went to my modem's settings and port forwarded these ports:

And then I open HaloMD and I host a server like so...

And when I check the lobby window while my server is open, I see it there...

But when I ask my friends to join they can't see it. It doesn't appear for them. I've been having the same issue with my Minecraft server, making me think this is a systematic problem that probably doesn't have to do with Halo. I've also noticed that anyone on my local network can join just fine. It seems like there's a problem either with the modem or the connection between the modem and the router.

Anyone know what's wrong? I'm very confused.

Any help or direction would be really appreciated.

100% Juice

----------

Also, in case it's helpful, here's some information about my network:

LOCAL IP (my computer): 192.168.0.14 (which is static)

LOCAL ROUTER IP: 192.168.0.1

ROUTER: Mac Airport Time Capsule

MODEM: Motorola SBG6580

MODEM/ROUTER CONNECTION: Ethernet

CONNECTION (MODEM): Cable

SERVICE PROVIDER: Time Warner Cable

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: Help: Hosting issue diagnosis?

Post by nil » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Next time, you should use imgur for uploading images...

For checking to see if *your own* server shows up in the lobby, you should use the website as it's more reliable for this: http://halomd.net/lobby
Or ask somebody else, like you've tried.

Apple's router does not have a web interface as shown in your screenshot. If you want to use Apple's Time Capsule as a router, you have to turn on Bridged mode on your modem so it doesn't also act as a router (your modem also has a router built into it). I had to do this recently as well; for me I had to call my internet service provider and ask customer support to turn on bridged mode (ask for this specifically). The Wi-Fi light indicator on your modem shouldn't be on.

The port forward settings (and every other kind of setting) on Apple's router are accessible via the Airport Utility on your Mac.

Or you could also turn on bridged mode for your time capsule so it doesn't act as a router I believe, via the Airport utility.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

100% Juice

Post by 100% Juice » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply. Going to try this as soon as possible.

100% Juice

Post by 100% Juice » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:54 pm

So I looked at the Airport Utility settings for the router...

Evidently bridged mode was already enabled. We disabled it to test what would happen but our router started blinking orange so we set it back. I tested a server I opened during this time using the link to the lobby just to check, but didn't see it. Does this mean that we should enable bridged mode on our modem? And if so should we disable it on the router?

In case it wasn't clear, the ports I forwarded were on the Motorola I think (the device acting as a modem). I'm not sure if I need to port forward on the router/modem only or both.

Well probably call our service provider to ask for advice but if I can fix it without the hassle then that would be great.

Thanks,

100% Juice

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:20 pm

You need bridged mode on exactly one of the devices. The device you choose not to use bridged mode on, is the one you have to make port forward settings for. I just happen to do bridged mode for the modem since I trust apple's router more.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

PyThonRex

Post by PyThonRex » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:05 pm

I'm also known as Pyrhex. You could try this: http://codingmonkeys.de/portmap/

100% Juice

Post by 100% Juice » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Figured it out:

Evidently I had NAPT mode enabled while bridged mode was as well. Apparently NAPT mode needs to be disabled in order for bridged mode to work correctly. This transferred settings like port forwarding to my router, so I just used Port Map (thanks BTW Phyrex - this is actually what I was using before my network changed when I moved, but it didn't work because of my network problems) to port forward ports 2302 and 2303.

So in case anyone else may struggle with this problem:

• Enable Bridged mode on your modem
• Disable NAPT mode on your modem
• Port forward your router (you can use Port Map: http://codingmonkeys.de/portmap/, or just forward directly)

Thanks for all your help guys!

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:03 am

The port mapper extension for MD should do what Port Mapper does, just for the record.