Joining servers on a Mac G4 running OS10.5.8

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

BoldSeagull

Joining servers on a Mac G4 running OS10.5.8

Post by BoldSeagull » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:27 am

Newbie here, I have HaloMD on 2 MacBookPro's which run fine and on start up I get a lobby to join a list of game servers where I'm sure many of you have been enjoying blowing myself and my son EdSeagull to pieces.

I've also got a version of HaloMD on our old iBook G4 but don't know if we can link or do something to connect to the same lobby we get on the 2 MBP's?

I got the versions of HaloMD for the MBP's off this forum which this lobby startup programmed in, but got the version for the G4 off another site.

Any help appreciated!

Modzy
Green Beret

Re: Joining servers on a Mac G4 running OS10.5.8

Post by Modzy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:46 pm

Hello,

What website did you download it from? Try downloading a copy from halomd.net, which contains the latest version.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:53 pm

The latest version from halomd.net won't work on the G4 - says its the wrong architecture. Works on my 2 MBP's though.

The working Halo demo I have working on the G4 I downloaded from softonic.com. Halo: Combat Evolved version 1.5.2

BoldSeagull

Post by BoldSeagull » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Guest wrote:The latest version from halomd.net won't work on the G4 - says its the wrong architecture. Works on my 2 MBP's though.

The working Halo demo I have working on the G4 I downloaded from softonic.com. Halo: Combat Evolved version 1.5.2
This was me, didn't realise I wasn't logged in….. :roll:

Post by 0001 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:30 am

Apple dropped support for PowerPC programs (via Rosetta) in 10.7. The original Halo Demo was one such PowerPC application and HaloMD was created as a replacement for that. Halo Demo for the newer systems. I don't think supporting older machines running on PowerPC architecture like your G4 was a consideration for the HaloMD project.

Ranger

Post by 002 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:20 pm

PowerPC building is no longer supported on Xcode, and HaloMD is only supported on 10.6 or newer while only 10.5 is available for PowerPC architectures.

However, it is still possible to join HaloMD servers despite having a G4 architecture. You will need the latest version of Halo: Combat Evolved for the Mac (difficult to get now), particularly the latest Universal Binary version. You will also need the HaloMD map that's being used on the server you want to join placed in your maps folder, which you can get at http://halomd.macgamingmods.com/mods/ . Then, use direct IP to join the server.