Invisifying

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Pyrhex-

Invisifying

Post by Pyrhex- » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:47 pm

What colour do I put to make some bitmaps invisible. Taxi said he invisified some
Bitmaps to make the blowtorch.

Modzy
Green Beret

Re: Invisifying

Post by Modzy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 pm

Either make the alpha channel of a bitmap completely black, or change the shader that the model references to something invisible.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Re: Invisifying

Post by TaxiService » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:10 pm

I meant to reply much sooner but i've been super busy lately. Anyway,
In the blowtorch model there are two examples of how to turn shaders invisible.

First, by "nulling out" a shader in the mod2.
I say "null out" in quotes because if you nulled out a soso, schi or whatever from a mod2, the game would crash whenever you loaded that model.
Instead, if you swap the shader with any ligh tag, the shader is not drawn and the game keeps going!

- This is the flamethrower model.

- And this is the blowtorch model. (Note the ligh tag instead of the soso)

Another method to make shaders invisible is using a mask. To make some parts of the original flamethrower model disappear, i looked for a 512x512 bitmap that had a mask (like the banshee multipurpose map), duplicated it and renamed it. Then I looked at the model and tried to mask out parts of it until i was happy with the result. (it took quite some time to find all the correct parts)

- This is how the original flamethrower bitmap looks.

- And this is how the blowtorch bitmap looks. (Note: It isn't necessary to white out the parts that will be masked. I did that for no reason)

Feel free to open up mudgorge and checking things out in it! There are more ways to turn shaders invisible, depending from which shader you're working with. If you have more specific questions i'm be willing to answer them if i can!
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig