Vehicle spawns? HELP?

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Darth Vader

Vehicle spawns? HELP?

Post by Darth Vader » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:43 am

Hello, Im trying to get more vehicles to spawn on a map WITHOUT gametypes. Like maybe have 7 different vehicles on the map. Or 10 warthogs on the map?
"And for a split second, the rabbit wondered what the anti-personnel mine was doing in the carrot patch" - Works of David Shrigley

WaeV
Peon

Re: Vehicle spawns? HELP?

Post by WaeV » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:04 am

That sounds like a job for Sparkedit (Windows) / Swordedit (Mac). I'm not clear on the particulars of the Mac version, however.

Ranger

Post by 002 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:54 am

You can set the gametypes for each vehicle spawn so it can spawn by default instead of requiring a gametype to tell it to spawn. This is how many retail maps have different vehicles spawn by default.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:07 am

>7 vehicles

I guess there are a couple of ways to spawn more than the six default vehicles. I have never tried because of lack of time, but i guess that if you somehow add another vehicle in the scnr vehicle palette (using sparkedit), then spawn the vehicles (using sparkedit/swordedit) and set their flags so that they spawn by default (using eschaton), when you use a gametype with the default vehicle set, the seventh vehicles will spawn too!

Like, needs more research.

>10 warthogs

The max number of any vehicles you can tell the gametype to spawn is 7, because (as far as i know) the bytes that regulate how many vehicles you can spawn are three; like, 000. So like, the first byte is worth 1, the second 2 and the third 4. Like this:
- 001 would spawn 1 warthog.
- 011 would spawn 3 warthogs.
- 110 would spawn 6 warthogs.
- 111 would spawn 7 warthogs.

Now, i don't really know where these bytes are in a gametype. But i know they can be modified like this because Jonathan made a tool for halo demo that would be able to edit this kind of stuff.
I guess that we could find these bytes easily by comparing in a hex editor two identical gametypes that differ only for their vehicle numbers.

Consider that team games can spawn vehicles for each team, while free-for-all gametypes are limited to one "set" of vehicles.
I mean that if you spawn 7 warthogs per team in ctf (providing the map allows all these hogs to spawn), then you'd end up with 14 total warthogs!
While if you set 7 warthogs to spawn in a FFA gametype such as slayer, only 7 will spawn.

PS: i promise that when i'm done doing the shit i've got to do in my busy life i'll look into this. X(
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:58 am

They're bits, not bytes. You can look at HDemoEditor's code to find where the offsets are around, but you may need to compensate for endian differences.

Also, it looks like Vader doesn't want to use gametypes, re-reading from his first post.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Tucker933
Peon

Post by Tucker933 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:15 am

Well, you can do it the nasty way, by converting the vehicle tags to scenery, placing them in your editor, then converting them back to vehicle tags. You can spawn as many vehicles as you want, as many types as you want.

The drawback is the variant used must have vehicle respawn time set to never, and you can't use the map reset function. If the vehicle respawns as a result of the variant telling it to, or the map being reset ingame, the game wont know how to handle it because it's still partially treated as scenery, you will get an exception error.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:24 am

>Also, it looks like Vader doesn't want to use gametypes, re-reading from his first post.

Eh but there is no other way. Luckily standard CTF and Slayer already come with the Default vehicles set, so using those gts will spawn the seventh vehicles, if my theory works.

>the nasty way

Eh, that way is nasty indeed! But back in Halo Demo i didn't get any exception errors, only that all the vehicles that were spawned through scens would respawn at the first vehicle spawn of the map. : \ In bloodgulch it's the blue warthog (but not the one that spawns in MD; the halo demo warthog! remember? the one on the right side of the base when looking towards red.)

Like, if you want to test just for fun: duplicate bloodgulch, go into scnr and swap all the scen's with vehicles. Then get in game and restart the game. Look towards blue base. ;)

PS: if the map crashes then halomd doesn't handle this stuff like HD used to do. :| I haven't tested this in a long time since it's, as Tucker said, a very nasty method to spawn stuff.
MGM Sig

Tucker933
Peon

Post by Tucker933 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:42 am

I've never seen what you're talking about happen, but it probably has to do with the difference in tools we're using. I'm a HaloPC modder, so for this trick I would use HMT and Spark Edit.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:08 am

Oh!

Well, like, what we used to do basically is, like, go in scnr and simply swap scens with vehis. o_o

When you do that and restart the game, all vehicles spawn simultaneously in the same spot. And, like, they explode in all directions and stuff. It's kinda amusing the first time you see it.
MGM Sig

Tucker933
Peon

Post by Tucker933 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:12 am

TaxiService wrote:Oh!

Well, like, what we used to do basically is, like, go in scnr and simply swap scens with vehis. o_o

When you do that and restart the game, all vehicles spawn simultaneously in the same spot. And, like, they explode in all directions and stuff. It's kinda amusing the first time you see it.
Yeah, that's definitely different from how we do it.

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:00 am

TaxiService wrote:When you do that and restart the game, all vehicles spawn simultaneously in the same spot. And, like, they explode in all directions and stuff. It's kinda amusing the first time you see it.
That sounds hilarious, lol.

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:54 pm

Swordedit (moonlight) has the ability to create more vehicles which appear without game type modification. All vehicles function perfectly in-game (with no blue base explosions!).

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:55 am

>That sounds hilarious, lol.

check this out, erryone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86X8lYcXcWw
MGM Sig

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:26 pm

Ohhhh, yeah that's what happens when you simply swap 'scen's for 'vehi's in Eschaton.

If Swordedit is basically Sparkedit, then you should be able to do it the way Tucker described and avoid this issue.

Tucker933
Peon

Post by Tucker933 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:50 pm

WaeV wrote:Ohhhh, yeah that's what happens when you simply swap 'scen's for 'vehi's in Eschaton.

If Swordedit is basically Sparkedit, then you should be able to do it the way Tucker described and avoid this issue.
Eschaton wont do the trick for something like that, you need HMT so you can actually convert the tag to a different class (not talking about meta-swapping or reference swapping).
Once you've done that, then you can import your vehicle as a scenery item, then swap the class back via HMT.