Dependencies

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

Dependencies

Post by Sparky » Wed May 15, 2013 12:01 pm

Update to my understanding of the dependency struct type, based upon research today:

Code: Select all

dependency			external tag reference	|	4 chars for the tag class, a 4-byte 32-bit unsigned integer that when modified by magic points to the tag name (in tag files, a number generated by Guerilla that is not random, but something like a hash based upon the string name of the tag but does not seem all that significant so long as it is unique), 4 bytes of zero (in tag files, tag name string length as 32-bit unsigned integer used to parse the dependency tag name strings listed at the end of the file), and a 4-byte unsigned 32-bit integer unique tag ID (in tag files, 0xFFFFFFFF or 4294967295 which would be -1 if it were a signed integer)
So basically a 4-character string and three unsigned 32-bit integers.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Re: Dependencies

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Wed May 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Omg thank you, i want to know that so I can make cheats :P with The Cheat.

Modzy
Green Beret

Re: Dependencies

Post by Modzy » Wed May 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Traditionally the first four bytes, the tag class, is read as a 32-bit int (hence why the byte order gets reversed when loaded into memory as big endian).

The next four bytes make up a pointer to the tag name in memory (we modify this by a "magic" value in most map editors to compensate for not loading it into memory).

Next four are unused.

The last four are the tag's ID.