[WIP] Heatsinks

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Good idea?

Do it!
60%
Needs fixing ...
No votes
Worst idea ever.
40%

Total votes: 5

Ranger
Location: Forerunner Cartography Installation 330, making new maps!

[WIP] Heatsinks

Post by 2310 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:28 am

Inspired (slightly) by Mass Effect 1 cooldown-based weapons. Also because I have yet to see a mod effectively use the "Rounds Recharged" function.

Concept: All weapons have infinite ammo, but granted through either an infinte battery+cooldown or regenerating ammo system. Ammo pickups will be disabled. Power weapons will have either increased cooldowns or require multiple rounds per shot (e.g. for the Rocket Launcher: 1 round regen/second, 2 rounds for 1 shot, resulting in 0.5 shots/second). There'll be a few other changes to compliment this, but that's the basic concept.

Suggestions/Comments/Complaints?

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Re: [WIP] Heatsinks

Post by TaxiService » Wed May 08, 2013 12:29 am

This is the kind of thing i like to do. I think it'll be an interesting project!
If it was my project i'd build a deepspacearena-style map, then modify the shaders and projectiles of the weapons so that they looked more plasmaish or energy-based maybe; but most importantly i'd try to come up with some HUD elements that look like Halo's original ones but that can convey the charge informations better.

Like, i don't know. This is just something i just thought:
1 - This is basically the most important part; it's just a meter that fills up over time that is connected to the loaded rounds. I think the best thing would be to put some marks on the meter background, each one representing a round; so that when the bar reaches that mark, you'll know you'll be able to fire that round.
2 - This meter should be unnecessary if we do the mark things? But you could keep this one instead of doing (1), if you'd rather do so.
3 - Up here is a useless space! When i have that space to fill i put the weapon's icon in there. : | BUT, if you don't want to do the (1) thing, you could set up the whpi so that in this space there's a numerical meter that goes up to 100 representing the charge, and (2) is there just like usual, filling up as rounds recharge.

Like, i don't know if i could explain properly... but yeah, like, that's what i'd do.
Problems arise when you want to put too many marks on (1)'s background; like in an assault rifle. All the weapons kind of have to be re-thought and balanced; maybe using overheating to prevent them for firing for a short while, allowing them to recharge or something; and ammo counts, recharging times... all that jazz.

Like, I say: do it!! And if you need help with whpi's i'll be more than glad to help.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Ranger

Post by 2310 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:52 am

Thanks Taxi! Right now, weapons are set as follows:
  • Rocket Launcher is an airstrike - may not be implemented in final version. Simply because it doesn't make that much sense to have rockets created out of nothing ... 10 rounds/shot, 1 round/second, holds 20 rounds.
  • Shotgun - 3 rounds/shot, 1 round/second. Slightly more powerful to compensate.
  • AR - 4 rounds/second, all else unchanged.
  • PR - Longer cooldown, but less heat/shot.
  • Pistol - 1 round/second, all else unchanged.
  • FRG - Longer cooldown, but less heat/shot.
  • Flamethrower - 7 rounds/second, standard heat mechanism left in place, but will run out of ammo after three continuous bursts, forcing player to wait for ammo regen.
  • Sniper - 2 rounds/shot, 1 round/second.
In Mass Effect, bullets are really small but are propelled at really high speeds, resulting in that guns can hold millions of rounds but heat up as fired - hence the need for cooling. Also why bullet based weapons can have infinite ammo. :P

Bugs:
  • Flamethrower still has firing effect when it runs out of ammo - does not actually fire projectiles but has the appearance of doing so for as long as the fire button is held down.
To-do:
  • Rocket launcher - is an airstrike a good idea, or should this be changed to an energy weapon (Spartan Laser-style?)
  • Rocket launcher needs new whpi.
  • Change "Low/No ammo" to "Cooling"/"Overheated"/"Overheating"
@Taxi:
For the diagram:
  1. This would work really well for the Sniper/Shotgun/Rocket Launcher. Perhaps also the Pistol.
  2. This would probably work for the AR. I think it's working fairly well as it is, given that there's a ammo counter on the gun itself.
  3. The icon could totally go there! I doubt a numerical counter would be needed for anything, as the AR and Flamethrower have their own ammo counters on the model.
I think we should optimize the gameplay before doing the graphics. What do you think? I'm really more of a numbers modder than bitmapper, so I appreciate the help :)

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Wed May 08, 2013 7:20 am

>I'm really more of a numbers modder than bitmapper

eh, i'm more of a guy that gets lost in trivial details, lol. But hey! I'm glad to help with anything!
For instance, if you want I could work on getting the whpi's working w/ the Cooling/Overheated/Overheating thing. Like, editing whpi's is something i love to do so i don't mind!

Anyway I'm on [url=irc://irc.gamesurge.net:6667/#macgamingmods]#macgamingmods[/url] all the time ...unless i'm not! : P Come over whenever you feel like it!
note: the link might not work, you need an irc client to access it i think? but i might have written it incorrectly, so meh. get here otherwise!

EDIT: I tend to work by duplicating+renaming existing tags anyway, so i could even work on the whpis in another map and you could then import them in yer mod! (and delete the old ones if you want, to keep things tidy)
Like, I'll probably need some information later, or just tell you where to input some values, since every weapon will have their specific ammo count, heat crap and all that.

Oh, by the way, should weapons maybe have two meters? one for the ammo and one for the heat? : ?

...and ehh, maybe you'll want to give human weapons some... overheating effects? like... i *might* be able to mess with the antr's a little and mod2's and effe's so that smoke comes out of barrels or some crap..? Depends by what you want to do and need!
Anyway i'll keep you informed and crap. Also i think i'm speaking english shittier than usual..?
MGM Sig

Ranger

Post by 2310 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Heatsinks v0.1 is now available on the MD mod list! Try it out :)

So .... here's what I'm thinking - we start off with finalizing weapon functionality, (probably 0.2/0.3 or so), then you can download off the map and make the edits directly to the new weapons. Then we can send the map back and forth if needed!

Weapons having both ammo/heat meters seems redundant, except for maybe the Flamethrower and FRG (which already have these two meters on the model, but should have two meters on the HUD) Unless they serve different functions? Like heat functionality prevents burst firing, while ammo regen prevents volume of firing? It seems kinda redundant to have both. Also if we do, some weapons definitely won't have it (like the AR/Pistol, the ammo is directly related to heat, and the Airstrike doesn't overheat) Any other functions for both heat/ammo you can think of?

Overheating effects would work on the AR and Sniper Rifle, possibly Shotgun. The Pistol doesn't seem like it'd need one ... also, might it be possible that the "reloading" animation becomes a cooling animation that boosts ammo regen?

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu May 09, 2013 6:31 am

You don't need to use the HEK for these changes.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Ranger

Post by 2310 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:25 pm

Heatsinks v0.2 now available!

Now featuring: an airstrike that actually hits exactly where you shoot it at! (Thanks to Sparky's Chainspawning Grenades :D) Tutorial coming soon!
If you'd like to try it, it's the Rocket Launcher.

To-do:
  1. Fix flamethrower firing effect bug.
  2. Add new whpi.
  3. Explore destructible airstrike drone.
  4. Fix overshield nades.
  5. Reduce autoaim.
Bugs:
  1. Flamethrower still has firing effect when it runs out of ammo - does not actually fire projectiles but has the appearance of doing so for as long as the fire button is held down.
  2. Frag grenades cause overshields due to negatives testing that I didn't remember to switch back >_>
  3. Airstrike does not work well if fired into a cave/base.

Ranger

Post by 2310 » Sun May 19, 2013 1:04 am

Heatsinks v0.3 (the Taxi Upgrade) now available!
TaxiService wrote: - modified airstrike meter
- modified shotgun meter
- modified sniper meter
- put an infinite sign instead of numbers up in the right side of the hud; also made the meter blue instead of red. This applies to rounds-based weapons and energy-based weapons.
- gave the flamethrower the [new] crosshair
- gave back rocket's whpi to the airstrike, so it now has a scope mask
- made a crosshair for the airstrike.
- made a mod.
- gave the drmade the drtag that looks like the dr. It explodes too if shot.
To-do:
1. Fix flamethrower firing effect bug.
2. Improve whpi.. Fix flamethrower battery. Fix needler wphi
3. Update needler in line with other weps
4. Rebalance chances of wep lottery
5. Add credits for Taxi and Sparky somewhere
6. Redo loading message
7. Re-skin airstrike

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue May 21, 2013 8:07 am

2310 wrote:

Code: Select all

[i][size=150][color=#FCBBBB]H[/color][color=#FCBCB9]e[/color][color=#FCBDB8]a[/color][color=#FCBEB7]t[/color][color=#FCC0B6]s[/color][color=#FCC1B4]i[/color][color=#FCC2B3]n[/color][color=#FCC3B2]k[/color][color=#FCC5B1]s[/color] [color=#FCC7AE]v[/color][color=#FCC8AD]0[/color][color=#FCCAAC].[/color][color=#FCCBAB]3[/color] [color=#FCCDA8]([/color][color=#FCCFA7]t[/color][color=#FCD0A6]h[/color][color=#FCD1A4]e[/color] [color=#FCD4A2]T[/color][color=#FCD5A1]a[/color][color=#FCD69F]x[/color][color=#FCD79E]i[/color] [color=#FDDA9C]U[/color][color=#FDDB9B]p[/color][color=#FDDC99]g[/color][color=#FDDE98]r[/color][color=#FDDF97]a[/color][color=#FDE096]d[/color][color=#FDE194]e[/color][color=#FDE393])[/color] [color=#FDE591]n[/color][color=#FDE68F]o[/color][color=#FDE88E]w[/color] [color=#FDEA8C]a[/color][color=#FDEB8B]v[/color][color=#FDED89]a[/color][color=#FDEE88]i[/color][color=#FDEF87]l[/color][color=#FDF086]a[/color][color=#FDF284]b[/color][color=#FDF383]l[/color][color=#FDF482]e[/color][color=#FDF581]![/color][/size][/i]
That's intense, did you do all that manually?
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Tue May 21, 2013 10:26 am

Nope. I mean, that's highly improbable. There are generators out there. like this one!
MGM Sig

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Tue May 21, 2013 1:27 pm

That is sick XD

Ranger

Post by 2310 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Yep, I googled for a generator :P

Also, enjoy some pics of the Airstrike's effects!

Before:

After:

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Wed May 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Lol, nice :D

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu May 23, 2013 7:34 pm

rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:That is sick XD
RIPz, I agree with this first statement more. Airstrike pics = sick/disgusting. Clearly the animated violence of this game has lost its appeal, and whatever gaming sport there is in the gameplay is not reflected in those pictures.

Ranger

Post by 2310 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:34 am

I apologize if you found the Airstrike pics offensive; however, they were simply intended to demonstrate the effective range of the Airstrike. I could have used any other destructible object, but the cyborg bipd was the easiest and most comparable for gameplay purposes, as well as being the only destructible static object currently in Heatsinks.