[MT] Mod Testers

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

[MT] Mod Testers

Post by Sparky » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:28 am

[MT] Mod Testers reviews Halo mods. We had a subforum here at MGM, but due to inactivity, we no longer needed it. Instead, this forum topic will suit our purposes henceforth.

Official Mod Reviews will be posted on the Halo Mod Testers YouTube channel:
Halo Mod Testers Youtube Channel

Reviewing Procedures

First we make comments in the game and on this forum, taking notes and discuss things amongst each other while analyzing video footage and meeting in-game. After taking notes, we propose an official review and revise our game footage to highlight certain areas of gameplay. After we determine an official written review and have the video footage we need for a video review, our presiding video editor (Zodiark or me) works on the official video review while we discuss the official [MT] rating for this mod... now given in Masterchief Helmet icons as a Masterchief Helmet Rank (MHR). Finally, the MHR is added to the video review, the video review is presented here in the forum for final comments by the team members, and then we publish the review.

0. Recommend and vote for a mod to review. This step will last one day and will take place in this topic. You can recommend a mod or vote for one by replying with the name of your mod at the appropriate time.
1. Play the mod in HaloMD and/or Halo Demo by yourself and with other team members. Take notes and type your comments in a text file, then copy/paste them here in a new reply. If you are a video editor member, record initial footage of the mod.
2. Discuss the mod here. The current review editor will propose an official written review and the video editor will use that written review to record relevant game footage in order to highlight those certain ares of gameplay.
3. Discuss an official Masterchief Helmet Rank (MHR).
4. The video editor adds the MHR information to the video, uploads the their final draft to the Halo Mod Testers YouTube channel titled "[MT] <mod name> Review Draft" and proposes this as the final version of the mod review video to the team here.
5. The team has 2 days to comment on the video before the video review is revised and/or retitled as "[MT] <mod name>" and placed within the [MT] Mod Reviews playlist.
6. The official [MT] Mod Testers Video Review is published on several web sites.

Rules
A. The present mod author is disqualified from review conversation subjects.

The mod author cannot participate in the review of their mod in any way, except to provide additional information about their mod.

Until you see an official video mod review posted for a mod on the Halo Mod Testers YouTube Channel, everything presented in this topic is meant for discussion among the Mod Testers team members. If you are not in [MT], and your mod is being reviewed, you should refrain from commenting on what we say here unless you would like to draw additional attention to a certain feature in your mod that you think has not been discovered; this would be able to complement our first exploratory in-game testing step.

Until the official Mod Testers review is published for a mod, including a Masterchief Helmets Rating (MHR), this is merely a point of discussion among [MT] members, and no mod authors should participate in discussions of their mod during that time when their mod is being discussed. If the Mod Testers team has any questions for the mod author, or wants comments, they will ask the mod author in a private message. The exception to this rule is that mod authors may contribute additional information about their mod, such as the locations of hidden teleporters or other easter egg features that they think the team has not noticed during exploratory in-game testing.

B. During step 0, the present mod author may rescind their mod from being reviewed for any reason.

The mod author has the right to say that they do not want their mod to be reviewed at all (or at that present time), but this must take place during the 24 hour decision period when the team recommends and votes upon which mod to review next. Once the team starts playing the mod together and taking notes, the mod author may no longer rescind their mod for review.

-----

Review in Progress: Pheonix 2 by Tucker933
Mod Topic: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=17430
Mod Author: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1844
Last edited by Sparky on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Re: [MT] Mod Testers

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:55 pm

I'll like to be in [MT].

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Joining the Mod Testers group is as easy as adding [MT] to the start of your in-game name (mine is [MT] Sparky) and participating during the mod testing events here in this topic.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:18 am

Okaay :lol:

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:12 pm

We have loads of dedicated servers now. If you want to use one for private testing purposes or for public arrangements, just give me or Modzy a howl on the IRC.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

[MT] Mod Review: Phoenix 2

Post by Sparky » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Review of Phoenix 2 in progress...
I took some in-game footage with other [MT] members, nil, and the map author of Phoenix 2, tucker. I'm putting together some suggestions and a short footage video.
[MT] Mod Review: [url=http://www.macgamingmods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=17430]Phoenix 2[/url] by [url=http://www.macgamingmods.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1844]Tucker933[/url] wrote:Balance:

Weapons
- M6C pistol and MA5C Assault Rifle are two starting weapons
- Rod Pistol's (plasma pistol) primary fire goes through all shields, including stationary shields

-- comments:
- each weapon's effectiveness is esoteric; players should read the weapon descriptions on the mod release forum topic before playing this mod
- the plasma-rifle-like "Trigger Gun" is the most fun to use and is useful against infantry and vehicles
- weapon combinations are significant in this mod
- frag grenades are not as useful as usual in dismounting warthog vehicles
- the rod pistol is very difficult to aim with and would be best in combination with a bullet-firing rifle
- the MA5C Assault Rifle is very effective at medium-distant ranges also
- the SPAS-12 Shotgun is only effective within melee range
- the location of the Rocket Launcher is difficult to discover
- nice placement of the SPAS-12 Shotgun behind the flag

-- suggestions:
- add descriptions of the grenade launcher shotgun and frag grenades to the Phoenix 2 release forum topic at MGM (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=17430)
- move the location of the Carbine on the map so that it is in the valley areas in the middle of the map, or near the active camouflage
- give the Rod Pistol slightly better homing
- useful weapon combinations should coincide with weapon placement, for example, the rocket shotgun with the Rod Pistol
- the grenade launcher shotgun should be most useful against unshielded infantry

Vehicles
Fighter and Bomber have the same HUD display text name: "Aero". You can determine which vehicle is which based upon the HUD reticle and the default placements in the scenario.

-- comments:
- MDT's primary fire is not easy to hit with, especially in multiplayer lag situations
- Bubbler is difficult to figure out; the location placement is understandable, but the area visibility while sitting in them needs improvement
- Bomber is definitely the most fun vehicle to use
- the quantity of vehicles in CTF is just fine

-- suggestions:
- vehicles will very often go from the tops of the map down to the bottoms of the map; this is especially the case with the Laser Hog, which should be placed in a sniping location at the top of the map, while the Fighter and Bomber should be placed within the canyon areas in order to suggest both topside and outer edge scenario use and to encourage players to go into the middle canyon areas.
- the Fighter's low-yield missile is potentially too weak to be used at all; perhaps increase its area of effect or give it some homing
- reposition the Bubblers so that players can see their surroundings while using them

Scenario:

Design
- the base map is Death Island

-- comments:
- very useful ladder placement
- the most enjoyable aspect is the energy shields which repel most projectiles
- memorable interior base lighting with fluorescent white decals
- vehicles and teleporters both will make this map seem very small and quickly repetitive

-- suggestions:
- add more incentive for players to walk through the canyons of the map; teleporters make the map much smaller, perhaps place in the central canyon areas the teleporter entrances which lead to the top of the map
- spread out the assets to be found also in hidden and exploratory locations

Scenery
- standard rocks and trees with some variation
- crashed pelican uses smoke emitter

-- comments:
- excellent placement of health packs (I mention this here, even though these are itmc and not scen)
- trees are difficult to effectively place in scenario design
- rocks are placed more strategically on the top of the map and give vehicles an obstacle course when moving between the middle canyons and the outer shore areas
- the teleporter entrance and exit scenery is very similar in appearance

-- suggestions:
- use more differentiated teleporter entrances and exits
- use trees also as obstacles for vehicles, not just the rocks
- add some brush and ferns, especially in the middle canyons and top areas of the map
...video footage forthcoming...

Tucker933
Peon

Post by Tucker933 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:25 pm

I appreciate the review, though there are some things I should clarify-
Sparky wrote:- frag grenades are not as useful as usual in dismounting warthog vehicles
The frag grenade functions the same as the original grenade does, more damage or a higher radius would be overkill to infantry.

Sparky wrote:- move the location of the Carbine on the map so that it is in the valley areas in the middle of the map, or near the active camouflage
There already is one in the center near camo.

Sparky wrote:- give the Rod Pistol slightly better homing
There's no homing since the secondary fire is a one hit kill. It would be unbalanced if it tracked, and there's much more of a payoff for learning to lead it.

Sparky wrote:- useful weapon combinations should coincide with weapon placement, for example, the rocket shotgun with the Rod Pistol
This would cut down on player traffic and would result in overused combinations.

Sparky wrote:- Fighter and Bomber have the same HUD display text name: "Aero". You can determine which vehicle is which based upon the HUD reticle and the default placements in the scenario.
It's unfortunate that there's nothing I can do about the names, it's not a CE map so the differences have to be more subtle such as the textures.

Sparky wrote:- MDT's primary fire is not easy to hit with, especially in multiplayer lag situations
It's extremely effective when you have lead figured, it's meant as a longer range vehicle. Also the weapon descriptions found on MGM do not all coincide with the content in the mod because I forgot I released it here after I made updates to the map. The MDT was cut.

Sparky wrote:- the Fighter's low-yield missile is potentially too weak to be used at all; perhaps increase its area of effect or give it some homing
I'm probably going to simply cut the missile, any damage increase would be overkill. While it isn't that powerful, it is very useful especially against infantry.

Sparky wrote:- reposition the Bubblers so that players can see their surroundings while using them
The locations aren't a problem in regards to visibility aside from the one at the neutral base. Given the geography of the BSP, there is no better location for it in that area unfortunately.

Sparky wrote:- spread out the assets to be found also in hidden and exploratory locations
You mentioned that certain weapons were too hard to find or not convenient enough, this suggestion is a bit contradictory. They're very evenly scattered about the map in strategic locations, there's not much else I can do about this point.

Sparky wrote:- the teleporter entrance and exit scenery is very similar in appearance
The half teleporters are exits, and the full ones are entrances. Unfortunately I don't model or texture so there isn't something I could do about making them more discernible.

Sparky wrote:- use trees also as obstacles for vehicles, not just the rocks
This becomes too problematic for aircraft, people are already almost constantly getting stuck in trees.

Sparky wrote:- add some brush and ferns, especially in the middle canyons and top areas of the map
The map is already over budget on scenery, no more can be added.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Tucker933, it's too bad that you feel so limited when there is an entire community here that can help you do whatever you like with this mod ;) Also, I'm kind of sad that it was mostly all arguments to my suggestions.

About spreading out the assets to be found also in hidden and exploratory locations, this does not contradict having certain weapons closer to each other than others, relative distances. You placed them all in very strategic locations, and you can still do this while spreading them out around the map. The goal here is to provide players with some additional incentive to do something besides routine. This map is prone to routine and can become boring very quickly because of that, and because of the really small size as a result of the combination of teleporters and vehicles all being within grabbing distance from the spawn points. The problem here is that all the activity is on the top of the map or just outside the bases. No activity at all takes place in the canyon areas which constitute the great majority of the map... and are right in the middle of each base and provide much more interesting and varied arena spaces. So by having vehicle travel be more obstructed by trees and rocks and by moving the topside teleporter entrances to the middle of the map, you then force players to meet in the middle if they want to reach those areas... which would contain powerups and certain weapons and such.

Right now, you get this: spawn in base, take portal in base to top of map, take banshee to enemy base, grab flag, take flag via banshee back to home base +1, rinse and repeat with banshee.
Revise it to be like this: spawn in base, choose weapon(s) from base, take portal to strategic shoreline locations or run around cliff to central canyon location and meet or skirt enemy players along the way, if you survive the middle area, take banshee from middle area to enemy base and encounter resistance when you get there (the player(s) you killed in the middle while getting the banshee), teammates can run in from the shoreline sides to assist in offense from the sides.
Last edited by Sparky on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tucker933
Peon

Post by Tucker933 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:27 pm

Sparky wrote:Tucker933, it's too bad that you feel so limited when there is an entire community here that can help you do whatever you like with this mod ;) Also, I'm kind of sad that it was mostly all arguments to my suggestions.

About spreading out the assets to be found also in hidden and exploratory locations, this does not contradict having certain weapons closer to each other than others, relative distances. You placed them all in very strategic locations, and you can still do this while spreading them out around the map. The goal here is to provide players with some additional incentive to do something besides routine. This map is prone to routine and can become boring very quickly because of that, and because of the really small size as a result of the combination of teleporters and vehicles all being within grabbing distance from the spawn points.
I understand what you're saying, though most of my responses were informational, while the rest were valid excuses as to why certain things couldn't be pulled off. I also don't work with others on my projects because I have unreasonable standards for quality on the content that goes into them. I know how to model, etc, though it is not my field.

The map is also way too big to further encourage players to spread out. Due to engine limitations, the game will not run more than 14 players on this mod, but that's what it takes to fill out the map nicely with combat. It's too often there aren't 14 players, so I need to make specific combat areas more accessible or people are going to be playing hide and seek the whole time.

I do appreciate your feedback, and while I agree it isn't perfect, I don't tend to agree with some of your suggestions.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Sparky you should make this a sticky and make a sort of "template" review.
For example:

Code: Select all

[u]Weapons:  [list][color=#80FF00][/color][/list][/u]

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Well, for example, the Halo 2 style teleporters are confusing, and instead of having two similar-looking teleporters right next to each other, one for entering and one for exiting, either use the Halo 1 default ground teleporter field scenery as the exit or have a single entrance and exit teleporter and just place the entrance and exit points slightly off from each other, the entrance point behind the exit point. These are simple changes that can have players no longer pondering which means which.

RIPz: I don't have the privilege to set topics as sticky topics at MGM, I'm a regular user like you.
The old criteria for the mod reviews is not really necessary. Are there any other subjects you would recommend discussing about mods besides what I discussed in this review?

EDIT: We had a nice conversation volley going here, but I'm off for the night now.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Mod gameplays.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:18 am

Here is my summary of this mod:

Base fights and banshees.

Because of this and because Tucker is reluctant to change the layout of the mod, I'm going to look back at Bloodgulch Extreme and see what I can do to improve its layout also through adjusting player spawn locations and additional teleporter placement, so the map seems smaller than it is but uses its more promising areas, like Pheonix has a promising area in the middle canyons that goes unused.

By the way, Tucker, I'm going to import the bsp from Phoenix (in case you changed anything in it from Death Canyon) into 3ds Max and add some tunnels to the middle of the map from inside each base. That is the alternative to adjusting netgame flags like teleporter points and player spawn locations whose changes would be CSS. Then I'll show it to you and you can see what you think; if you like it, you can use it, if not, then at least I will have revised BGX to be more playable.

EDIT: After playing the original Death Island map and comparing it to this mod, I changed my mind about what I will do. I also updated this topic with our first rule, so you should realize that what I posted above as the [MT] mod review for Pheonix 2 is only an unofficial review proposal to the rest of the team. It was not meant to be commented upon by yourself, or criticized at all. Until you see the official review posted in a more prominent location (like in an MGM topic sticky or on HDM, or on your Pheonix 2 mod topic), you should consider what is presented here in this topic to be mere commentary and review discussion points and proposals; and so unless you are in [MT], and even then, you should say little to nothing about our comments until we publish an official video review and text review like I was saying. You will notice that as of yet, I only mentioned "footage" and not "Official [MT] Mod Testers (Video) Review of Pheonix 2" or anything like that.

First we make comments in the game and on this forum, taking notes and discuss things amongst each other while analyzing video footage and meeting in-game. After taking notes, we propose an official review and revise our game footage to highlight certain areas of gameplay. After we determine an official written review and have the video footage we need for a video review, our presiding video editor (Zodiark or me) works on the official video review while we discuss the official [MT] rating for this mod... now given in Masterchief Helmet icons as a Masterchief Helmet Rank (MHR). Finally, the MHR is added to the video review, the video review is presented here in the forum for final comments by the team members, and then we publish the review... and THEN the author is allowed to comment on it as the official Mod Testers review for their mod. At any point during this process, the mod author is encouraged to read what is being discussed and change their mod as they see fit, but it is not appropriate to argue with the Mod Testers team members about their mod or feel defensive, because these are mere comments and discussion points for the MT team and their official review would be not yet provided. So all this is to say that there is no official [MT] review for Pheonix yet, but the [MT] team is still on the first step... and I'm thinking about the second step, but need more comments and discussion from the team here about my present notes.
Last edited by Sparky on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:01 am

The [MT] subforum was private so that we could discuss mods without having the author argue or comment at the same time. Therefore, I'm going to establish a rule here for this topic: until the official Mod Testers review is published for a mod, including a Masterchief Helmets Rating (MHR), this is merely a point of discussion among [MT] members, and no mod authors should comment during that time when their mod is being discussed. If the Mod Testers team has any questions for the mod author, or wants comments, they will ask the mod author in a private message.

Now that I have established this rule, I will continue working with the present mod review.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:39 am

I met Tucker in-game and he said what he changed in the latest update to his mod. He swapped the (needler) and (plasma rifle) itmc coordinates and re-balanced the damage of the weapons. I like all his changes. I still have a problem with the rocks obstructing the blue team's right-side tunnel which lets them access the map's top teleporter directly to the red base. Since Tucker did mention that he does not have access to editing the sbsp (and he refused my initial offer to help change things), I played through Death Island and compared the map layout regarding player paths. I think that overall, the initial design of Death Island had the Red Team own the middle of the map by quickly accessing it via the right-side tunnel, and the Blue Team having balance to this by being able to quickly walk to the Red Team's topside teleporter exit through their own right-side tunnel, providing offense to their ability to both teleport there and quickly walk their using that spiral cliffside walkway on the right of the Red Team base. Phoenix removes the Blue Team's ability to provide that offense by blocking the Blue Team's right-side tunnel with rocks and a crashed pelican, giving the Red Team a distinct advantage in this mod; and if you'll notice, the red team usually wins while playing this mod in CTF mode. The Blue Team is still able to walk left in order to go the long way to the middle of the map, but this takes time and allows the Red Team enough time to camp in sniper positions at the tops of the canyon cliffs. Along the way to the middle of the map, the Blue Team also is spotted on their right side by the team-equally-accessible (scen-based) metallic base. In the time it takes the Blue Team to walk to the middle of the map, the Red Team could either teleport to the top and grab the sniper and teleport back down and be in a position to snipe the blue team member coming into the canyon area, or teleport to top and grab the sniper and walk at the top of the cliffs to be in a sniping position on the cliffs to snipe the blue team member walking into the canyon area below. This central advantage means the blue team does not have a strategic playing angle in the middle canyon areas and so the red team can easily walk to the right up the cliff to the top and be at the central position of the map: and as you know from playing chess, the center of the board is prime real estate. The Red Team owns the middle of the map while the rest of the red team can provide offense by driving around the shore. The Blue Team is left with two options: drive around the shore or race to grab the first banshee they can get. Both depend upon the gametype using vehicles, so in games where the gametype disables vehicles, I would suggest removing the teleporter entrances from the tops of the map and removing the rocks from the right tunnel of the blue base (put the rocket launcher inside the tunnel if you want, and allow some navigation room around the crashed pelican). What do you guys think: does the Red Team have a distinct advantage in being able to quickly access the middle of the map? Do you feel more free when playing on the Red Team and constrained while playing on the Blue Team? Do you get bored faster or feel at a disadvantage while playing on the Blue Team?

I also get the impression that both the middle of the map and the sides of the map opposite the small base, the base you can teleport to, are both underused. I also get the impression that it is too simple to teleport to the top of the map, grab a banshee, grab the flag and fly back to your base. Banshees and teleporters seem to unbalance and unhinge this scenario. I get the feeling that a sniper version of the original Death Island would use the features of the map more than this combination of vehicles and teleporters.

That said, I should really revise the Bloodgulch Extreme layout so it is more playable.. I'll keep this last point in mind about the different areas' playability, so that where players approach sniping areas they are given a sniper and where they approach the interior areas they are given other weapons.