Map Noise

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Ben

Map Noise

Post by Ben » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to edit my sounds.map file so that I no longer hear the background noise in each map? I play all of the Full Version maps plus some custom and the noise is distracting. My aim = akfriar. Any help would be awesome!
Thanks,
Ben

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: Map Noise

Post by Sparky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:11 pm

In each scenario map file, such as bloodgulch.map or a30.map, open the map in Eschaton, click on the sbsp tag, and choose the Reference Swapper tab at the top right, then null the lsnd entry/entries there.

Alternatively, from the Halo game "Settings" menu, change your sound settings so that the music volume is 0.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:17 pm

I have never opened Eschaton but I will give it a go.
Lowering the volume isn't really something I'd like to do because the point of this was to eliminate background noise so that I could hear footsteps better. Especially on Sidewinder where there is the "whirling winds" going on.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:58 am

I don't think changing the Music volume has any effect. What Sparky suggested with the reference swapper will probably work though.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:27 am

The music volume relates to Bloodgulch's bird sounds which are lsnd references in the sbsp, but not to ssce (sound scenery) tags like the teleporter portal ambience and probably wind noises. Change the music volume to 0 before you decide to change anything in the map files. I don't think you are realizing that there are various sound volume options in Halo's in-game settings; changing the music volume does not affect the volume of footsteps, unless for some reason the modified map has snd! tags for the footsteps that have been changed to music instead of unit_footsteps. That is very unlikely even to happen at the hands of a novice modder.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.