Halo modding question.

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

corang

Halo modding question.

Post by corang » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:00 am

Hey guys, I am a new modder learning the ropes of Eschaton and hex editing and such, and i have created my own map in Blender to import into a map file. I have tried the obj converter included with Fonzie's mod pack but it just crashes everytime i try to convert the map obj back into meta, if anyone could help me i would greatly appreciate it, thanx in adavnce, Corang.

SAS

Re: Halo modding question.

Post by SAS » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:23 am

i have created my own map in Blender
do you mean you made the ground and whatnot?

corang

Post by corang » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Yes, like the model of the map itslef

SAS

Post by SAS » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:39 pm

corang wrote:Yes, like the model of the map itslef
that's your problem. that is the bsp of the map. As far as I know, you can not create new bsp models with eschaton and a 3d modeling app.

corang

Post by corang » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:42 pm

Do you know of any application that could, because there is obviously something, look at yoyrast island for proof

And if there was no way to change the bsp why is there an "export bsp as obj" in eschaton when you are over the scenery tag?

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Yoyorast was made in CE. Halo CE, also known as Custom Edition is the windows official modding tools. Unfortunately, there is no way for us to make something as complex as a custom BSP collision with our current tools. You could import the bsp, but you would essentially fall through it. Export bsp as obj really has no pratical use. Alt probably expected we would figure out custom collision some time in the future. But it is cool for using as a far away object, or even move to a different game.
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:32 pm

Hello and welcome to Mac Gaming Mods and halo modding in general!

Yes, there are ways to import new bsps and add custom content, but you need Halo Custom Edition to do that, and that means you need a windows computer and a copy of halo. (unless someone out there made a mac version of HEK? but i doubt it? i didn't check.)

Sadly Eschaton doesn't allow us to do that. It's more of a modifying tool than a creating tool. Of course you can duplicate and edit tags so much that they don't even resemble the original tags, but it doesn't really allow you to make a new one from scratch.

With Eschaton you can edit textures and a looooot of stuff relative to tags, like ammo counts, speeds, effects, loads of numbers and options... like, really a lot of shit! (to learn all this crap you better just try and experiment around, or ask for help!) Eschaton can still export sounds and the map's bsp, but it cannot import models or sounds.

To import sounds you can use this tool that Modzy made to convert an .ogg file into an eschaton-importable tag, and there was a way to import models using older tools such as HMT and OBJConverter.

Aw mgal! you beat me! :<
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

corang

Post by corang » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:36 pm

Would you be able to give me a link to halo CE I have halo for PC and I might be able to get it to run under wine in mac osx.

EDIT: i found Halo CE and i am downloading it now, do you think i could legally post a download link to HEK for Mac OSX?

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Sure! ; )
MGM Sig

corang

Post by corang » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:52 pm

was that a sure that you think i could post a download link legally or a sure "heres a link to halo CE"

btw nice link :P

After about an hour of researching, downloading, installing, and being frustrated i have concluded that HEK cannot be run under wine

SAS

Post by SAS » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:43 pm

HEK is for windows only (although you could do bootcamp, virtualbox, etc.) and usually comes along with CE. its totally free and totally legal (gearbox gave it to us). halomaps should have a download link to the HEK on their main page. welcome to the community, man! (and don't worry, I'm pretty new around here, too.)

Edit: IIRC, wine is for games (I'm probably wrong about that, so don't quote me). assuming you have a newer mac, like 10.5 or up, you should be able to run virtualbox or bootcamp.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:11 pm

Yeah, like, welcome to you too by the way SAS!

And it was the latter. :​p

PS: but yeah, i guess i should've said that CE is, like, free. So you can just download it off any site that has it hosted. ·‿·
Last edited by TaxiService on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGM Sig

corang

Post by corang » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:12 pm

Hmmmm i actually forgot i had bootcamp with windows 7 on here, lol. i am gonna try that either tonight or tomorrow.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Welcome to MacGamingMods, corang!
Welcome to Halo modding!

If you want to use Halo CE on the Mac, there is a way. Here is the topic that says how to do it:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=8445

BSPs are one of the most complex things in Halo modding, and to here that you're a begginer and you made a BSP model. That's pretty impressive.
Nice. :)

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:22 pm

If you are using Bootcamp, you will need to buy a copy of Windows XP, Vista or 7, and use 3ds Max's free student version or the 30 day trial. You can then use this collection of everything else you would need in your setup:

- HEK Starter Kit: http://www.halodemomods.com/wiki/File:H ... er_Kit.zip -- link to wiki download page
- Youtube tutorial video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3osbPbk6nsU
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.