A few things

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

a bullet

A few things

Post by a bullet » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:00 pm

To start off, I was wondering if there was any simple way to have a player spawn in a vehicle every time they are killed/respawn, or at least initially like how MC spawns in a Pelican at the beginning cutscene of the Silent Cartographer. I was looking around the SC in swordedit though, and found that there are two actual spawn points in the map, which is starting to make me think that he actually spawns outside the pelican and the beginning cutscene is something completely unrelated to the player.

Second, I'm pretty sure it is possible to melee a player whom is in a vehicle while actually delivering damage to the driver. I was playing halo full the other day when a hunter slammed into my turret, and thought adding this 'ability' to a multiplayer map might just be another little perk to a mod. I was browsing the melee jpt tags in eschaton but didn't find much. I also looked at the material type in the coll tag for the c gun turret _mp and then set the damage ratio in a melee .jpt to 1 rather than 0 for that material, but didn't get much of a result. If the melee happens to damage the whole vehicle rather than just the player being hit, that would be fine. But as usual when I make posts like these, I really just need to be pointed somewhere to look.

edit:
also, i'm having trouble converting halo full campaign maps to demo. if I wanted to modify a single player map other than the silent cartographer i would typically want something from halo full, but anything i convert (i tried both queen anne's revenge and pearl) doesn't load and just crashes halo.

I'm sorry if any of these questions have been answered before anywhere else.
Whenever I see Nuthead's avatar all I can see is a sad, abandoned cigarette butt that is forced to spend the holidays all alone in the cold.

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: A few things

Post by Sparky » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:10 am

1. Coll tag has enum16 and float values you should use which are not within reflexives.
2. To have a player APPEAR like they are spawning in a vehicle, place their spawn point next to the driver-side seat of a duplicated warthog tag which has its phys nulled (I forgot if the engine will enjoy that) and its driving speed zeroed in the vehi tag.
3. Pearl removes script chunks from the map, so you either have to tweak the scnr tag manually, or do the following:
  • 1) Convert the single player map to demo with Pearl,
    2) Use SCNR SWAP to swap the scnr tag FROM your Halo Full map TO your Pearl-converted map, using SAFETY MODE "LOW: SBSP count must be the same" (it's a Freudian slip that Altimit01 wrote "SBP" instead of "BSP" or "SBSP")
I tested a10, b30, b40 and d20 with this method, and only b30 worked. I don't know why, but I'm guessing it has to do with the scripts for some reason. However, I distinctly recall using just Pearl to convert the entire Halo Full campaign into Halo Demo, but this was with a previous version of Pearl, maybe 1.0 to 1.2.

But Pearl panics after a few conversions, so if you don't have luck after the first try, reopen Pearl and SCNR SWAP and try again. Or maybe you can ask Modzy for a version of Pearl which does not remove the scripts blocks. Or you can tweak the scnr tag by setting the Scripts Data float value to 0 after you use Pearl and/or SCNR SWAP.

UPDATE: Yes, you can just use Pearl 1.2 to convert any Halo Full campaign map to Halo Demo. Pearl 1.3 will not work, though, because it removes the scripts block; it will only work in combination with SCNR SWAP if you are using the Halo Full b30.map file.

EDIT: It's not perfect, because on the way to the control room in b40, for example, it crashes.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

a bullet

Post by a bullet » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks Sparky.
But anyway, I am like 95% sure that I can edit the gravity values of a map in eschaton. I saw it somewhere before (using 0.8) that had gravity values for the map, but I don't remember where and I have been tearing myself apart looking through an entire map file for one meta edit. It was either somewhere where I found the biped weight (for the cyborg it was 500, I think,) or some sort of gravity value in either the scnr, matg, or sbsp tags of a map. I know it is totally possible as Hostbot changed the gravity values at some point and it is easy to make vehicles super heavy or weightless, but I'm lost when it comes to where I should look to alter the weight of a biped.
Whenever I see Nuthead's avatar all I can see is a sad, abandoned cigarette butt that is forced to spend the holidays all alone in the cold.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:53 pm

You were mistaken. The only gravity available in the Halo 1 game engine is in the phys tags, which are used by vehicle units. The unit tag is unused, otherwise we might have been able to have bipd gravity also.
You might be able to hack something together by adding a vehicle seat reference to a bipd or somehow attaching a vehicle to the bipd which then has gravity.
The normal method of adjusting player physics is to change the jump height and tweak the acceleration values... if that's even possible. But really, what you're looking to do is modify the animations for the cyborg so that the behavior is different. Maybe you can slow down the animations by adjusting the number of frames or frame speed or something along those lines in the antr tag.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

a bullet

Post by a bullet » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Hmm. I was actually just trying to get a spartan to jump moderately high while floating down slowly, and I will look into what you suggested. I do know it is impossible (to my knowledge) to have the player convincingly move with no restrictions. (ie walking upside-down on the ceiling like flood infection forms.)

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:38 am

Actually...

This is the same flag that infection forms use. :P
Anyway i am sure that there is a way to make the cyborg appear lighter. *checks*

...ah god dammit, it appears... that there might be no way? :sad: I mean, i didn't find any with a quick look in bipd and matg.
maybe we can make a phys tag for the cyborg..?
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

a bullet

Post by a bullet » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:15 am

Well, yeah, I know you could do that. However it looks incredibly awkward as the fp camera cannot roll 360 degrees, and it doesn't look too convincing. Thanks though.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Heh, yeah. : ( I am sorry, i don't think there's going to be an easy way to make your camera roll.

Oh but wait... you know when the camera rolls..? When you are into a warthog as a passenger!! 0: If you get flipped, the camera flips too!!
Maybe we could... i don't know. We can't make you play *as* a vehicle that looks and acts as a cyborg because then the camera would still not roll.

*MAYBE* there could be like... uh... idk, we could make you spawn, or be forced to enter, in a *host* cyborg vehicle. It would be able to climb on wa- wait... can vehicles climb walls? M-maybe there is some setting that makes their friction high or... AUGH idk. : (

shit, this is a problem.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

a bullet

Post by a bullet » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:56 pm

uhm
halodemomods.com isn't loading. Is there something I missed?

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:05 pm

a bullet wrote:uhm
halodemomods.com isn't loading. Is there something I missed?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18483