How would you improve Halo Combat Evolved?

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Re: How would you improve Halo Combat Evolved?

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:20 pm

You guys should should make a competitive ranking system for HaloMD like Halo 2 and 3, CSR 1-50.
Also make it possible that players can see other players ranking in the game. One question: do we need to modify the source code of the game or something else? We also need voice chat and no ping leading :P

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:50 am

rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:You guys should should make a competitive ranking system for HaloMD like Halo 2 and 3, CSR 1-50
Also make it possible that players can see other players ranking in the game.
Ranking system and player ranking in-game shouldn't be too hard to create without any source modifications. The problem is somehow extracting the "scores" from each game and sending them to a server. Stick a bit of memory modding on dedicated ranked server and it should not be too difficult :lol: but then you would would also need to add logins to HaloMD and ranking code to the MD server. Only certain servers would be allowed to be ranked. Basically it would just be one big hack... but technically you could do it without modifying the halo source.
rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:One question: do we need to modify the source code of the game or something else?
This topic is about modifying the source code for the game.
rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:We also need voice chat
You don't need to modify the halo source code for this. Voice chat could be built into HaloMD as it runs in the background. Figure out a way for memory modding without an admin password and you could get voice proximity going too (so you can't hear somebody talking on the other side of the map) :p
rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:and no ping leading :P
Technically possible without source code... but I like ping leading ----)

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:08 am

Samuco wrote:
rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:You guys should should make a competitive ranking system for HaloMD like Halo 2 and 3, CSR 1-50
Ranking system and player ranking in-game shouldn't be too hard to create without any source modifications. The problem is somehow extracting the "scores" from each game and sending them to a server. Stick a bit of memory modding on dedicated ranked server and it should not be too difficult :lol: but then you would would also need to add logins to HaloMD and ranking code to the MD server. Only certain servers would be allowed to be ranked. Basically it would just be one big hack... but technically you could do it without modifying the halo source.
I do not like competition.
Samuco wrote:
rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:One question: do we need to modify the source code of the game or something else?
This topic is about modifying the source code for the game.
This topic has been discussed for one year here. Conditions have changed, and it would be better for me to redo the Halo game than to license the source code from Microsoft. MacSoft did a redo of the Halo game as Halo UB, but it has a major issue with the anti-aliasing causing a crash from what seems to be an OpenGL framebuffer overload... a GUI memory leak, sort of. Anyway, by redoing the game app, and that would be at least the fourth time that Halo 1 would have been recoded, we could essentially do what we wanted to do with it outside of the franchise's most prohibitively stifling restraints.
Samuco wrote:
You don't need to modify the halo source code for this. Voice chat could be built into HaloMD as it runs in the background. Figure out a way for memory modding without an admin password and you could get voice proximity going too (so you can't hear somebody talking on the other side of the map) :p
Dedicated servers could send this information if they keep track of player positions on their end. By having the servers do this, you would also be able to prohibit client-side cheating from affecting the game ladder ranking system.
Samuco wrote:
Instead of ping leading, modders should consider projectile gravity and speed. This would be more fun than pulling a Bart Simpson where you intentionally miss the target but hit it instead.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:31 am

Samuco wrote:

But how would HaloMD "track" the player's rank and decide if they should rank up or down and also by how much.
Samuco wrote:
Instead of voice chatting with people that are close to you in the game, lol what about talking to your team by voice anf or specifically to one another.
Samuco wrote:
I believe that more people will be interested in playing Halo if there is no ping leading.
Sparky wrote: Instead of ping leading, modders should consider projectile gravity and speed. This would be more fun than pulling a Bart Simpson where you intentionally miss the target but hit it instead.

This is essential for not only modding but creating Halo games. The Battle Rifle for example is required to lead. The projectile is not as fast as other projectiles such as the Sniper Rifle's. If this was "replacing" ping leading, then ping leading would have to be removed from the game.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:51 am

I'm not really a fan of adding a ranking / stat system either. I don't think it's really necessarily, wouldn't want to add a login information, and don't want to force people into competition. I play in public games very casually often.

I've thought about no-ping leading lately. I think for dedicated servers, on the PC end, there is a mod for it but I don't think it's compatible with Phasor which is a shame. On the Mac end, we'd have to make a mod ourselves...

Memory modding should be possible by injecting code into Halo, without having a third-party application. This is how I overrode the sv_map command to take in any map. I just need to know where to inject to in the runloop, and the function signature I'm swizzling. (If interested Samuco, I could send you more info about this via PM).

Voice chatting is probably difficult, forget about voice proximity, but creating something on par with ventrillo or Mumble without having a third-party application running. It should be an opt-in service, too, so as not to annoy people. It has bandwidth requirements too.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:53 am

Why even try and remake voice chat? With what is currently available (Teamspeak, Ventrilo, Mumble) it wouldn't be worth the dev time. MGM already has Mumble setup and I already run a Teamspeak server so that could be added if preferred.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:49 pm

rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:
Sparky wrote: Instead of ping leading, modders should consider projectile gravity and speed. This would be more fun than pulling a Bart Simpson where you intentionally miss the target but hit it instead.

This is essential for not only modding but creating Halo games. The Battle Rifle for example is required to lead. The projectile is not as fast as other projectiles such as the Sniper Rifle's. If this was "replacing" ping leading, then ping leading would have to be removed from the game.
Look at the difference when I say "lead" and "ping leading", "lead" is essentially what you said about the projectile speed and gravity. But "ping leading" is when a player shoots a gun, then the projectile spawns and the information about where the projectile is going gets sended to the host, which takes time, resulting in ping leading requirements. So if you want the "projectile gravity and speed" you therefore need ping leading ultimately disabled.

Also I was playing on Custom Edition server that had a command option of giving lead or no lead for the specific player who enters the command. "/lead 0" to disabled ping leading and "/lead 1" to enable ping leading. Interesting, huh?