HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: HaloMD

Post by Sparky » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:19 pm

The game crashed for me just now when I tried to flip a ghost up against the invisible collision barrier on the cliff using RSW Ultimate (my halo full mod). It was rather entertaining hearing my shield sound stagger as if it were a raid siren and me having to shut down my computer.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Ranger

Post by 002 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:31 am

I really wish I had a mac now. Unfortunately, it died last year, so I'm marooned on a PC. The PC version of Halo Demo has a ton of people who don't speak in English, so I'm having issues.
nil wrote:*PC players can play with you as long as they direct IP to a HaloMD game.
Could you ever find a way to make it possible for PC players to access a list of IP's and names on this lobby?

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:44 am

Also, it's worth mentioning 002 that you require the full version of halo on pc if you wish to play with people using this client.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:20 pm

002 wrote:I really wish I had a mac now. Unfortunately, it died last year, so I'm marooned on a PC. The PC version of Halo Demo has a ton of people who don't speak in English, so I'm having issues.
nil wrote:*PC players can play with you as long as they direct IP to a HaloMD game.
Could you ever find a way to make it possible for PC players to access a list of IP's and names on this lobby?
Publishing a list of IP addresses is an invitation to malicious hackers. It's a different perspective regarding maladies from the eyes of someone on a Windows OS. We would need to let players who use HaloMD know how their IP addresses are being used. Otherwise, HaloMD becomes something like a trojan horse.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Ranger

Post by 002 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:55 pm

I see. I don't even get why people would do something like this.

Nevermind.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Well, what I really wanted to say was that, 002, you had a great idea and I take it into consideration in the development of additional creative things. Any potential problems would be worked out specifically during the lifespan of those other applications.

For example, even though it does not directly relate to existing plans for Zeus, that says nothing about my consideration for implementing additional features based upon this idea or its related values. And besides, nil's app is the one at hand, and he's capable of involving it if he sees fit.

My prior comment was sharp but almost pointless.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Alpha 3 has been uploaded. This will expire March 3.

Not much has changed, but if the app runs correctly, the Halo in-game internet lobby should no longer function.

If you are experiencing problems with Halo, perhaps try playing with vertex shaders enabled and pixel shaders disabled. (Yes, I know, Halo will look worse).
002 wrote:Could you ever find a way to make it possible for PC players to access a list of IP's and names on this lobby?
Yeah, I could make it a web script or something. The technical details are very easy (for now): you open up a TCP connection to halo1.halodemomods.com on port 29920, then receive a buffer of servers in form address:port delimited by new line characters.

Re: Icons. No lions. Helmets aren't particularly new and exciting, but maybe.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:04 am

I must be getting subliminal messages from constantly seeing that lightning bolt on my sig's internetometer icon.

I don't understand how the expiration date works. HaloMD alpha 2 works still today, and it is beyond the expiration date you mentioned. I don't suppose it's like food which goes rotten, and Amy suggested that maybe the MediaFire download link gets removed then. Is this an "internal workload" expiration date for our reference?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:43 am

Sparky wrote:I must be getting subliminal messages from constantly seeing that lightning bolt on my sig's internetometer icon.

I don't understand how the expiration date works. HaloMD alpha 2 works still today, and it is beyond the expiration date you mentioned. I don't suppose it's like food which goes rotten, and Amy suggested that maybe the MediaFire download link gets removed then. Is this an "internal workload" expiration date for our reference?
If it still works, then it's a bug somehow. Either that or your system clock is messed up.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:18 pm

As for Pearl, it was stalled for awhile when I switched to Lion and no longer had means of reading the source. Now that I've solved that I worked on it a bit this weekend. So, I suppose it's getting done.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:05 am

Lion sounds like it's more of an unruly beast than was expected.

Time Limit evidence: http://www.halodemomods.com/wiki/File:H ... it_bug.png

Testing HaloMD alone, I find my ping within HaloMD to be 2 or 3 whereas in alpha 2 it was 3 to 6.

Also, I still think it would be great to list stats of the server (maybe in separate sortable columns or in a separate info window) like those shown by GameSpy.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:27 am

Sparky wrote:Lion sounds like it's more of an unruly beast than was expected.

Time Limit evidence: http://www.halodemomods.com/wiki/File:H ... it_bug.png

Testing HaloMD alone, I find my ping within HaloMD to be 2 or 3 whereas in alpha 2 it was 3 to 6.

Also, I still think it would be great to list stats of the server (maybe in separate sortable columns or in a separate info window) like those shown by GameSpy.
The ping code hasn't changed at all. I could list stats in a separate window but it's a pain. I really think the only useful information is the players in the game. Currently in my latest developmental build, I have a tooltip that lists the players in the game. I should think this through more though.

First thing I actually noted from your screenshot was actually, "Wow, is this pre-Lion? The buttons are ugly." :)

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:41 am

Yeah, when I open the app it says it has expired. Sparky did you close and reopen the app?

So this is Halo Full that I'm playing, just in Halo Demo form? xD. So with all those extra map slots you should easily be able to have mods such as Crossing and The Island easily accessible?
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:10 am

Yes, nil, this is snow leopard, which I prefer. I am right now on my mom's MacBook Pro which has Lion on it, so I know what it's like. I don't really mind the buttons except that it's hard to tell between enabled and disabled buttons.

Amy, that's the plan. Or something like that. I had suggested keeping it open-ended like Samuco did when he made his halo synchronization tool which used md5 hashes for mods at HDM. nil didn't really like that idea of using md5 hashed map files to determine differences and automatically download the map if it were available from hdm.

We have a number of different ways we could go here, though. You see, if we do actually manage to obtain the source code, then like samuco said, everything could be css, even AI which currently do not synchronize. Also, when I release Zeus, I have plans for it which would likely retire HDM's mod databases because of multi-modding. What would be most amazing would be to get the source to halo and then build all my plans for Zeus into Halo itself, making it fully customizable so that you could list the IP of the master server list to use (gamespy, MGM, HDM, etc.), play through mods at your leisure right from within Halo, man the sky really is the limit then. And players already want the net code fixed so you don't have to lead targets anymore. And it would merely mean collaborating with MacSoft and GearBox's old employees (and Roger) so that all the versions of halo can have the same net code between them. That's why I've been pursuing the halo source code, and besides, Modzy has something he wants to do with it also.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:52 pm

Amy wrote:So this is Halo Full that I'm playing, just in Halo Demo form? xD. So with all those extra map slots you should easily be able to have mods such as Crossing and The Island easily accessible?
Yep, Halo Full in 'Demo' form. Not necessarily easily, depends on Modzy's conversion progress.

Sparky, is it possible I could upload the app onto your server for download (not on the wiki, or at least not in a place where other people can edit), so that I could do automatic updating.