News from the 'dark side' (PC) - Bad Company 2 Vietnam

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
[BIG] Ranger
Operative

News from the 'dark side' (PC) - Bad Company 2 Vietnam

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:58 am

In case you are wondering why I am posting up on a Mac game forum about a PC only game, well as you know EA are promising that the next installment of the popular Battlefield franchise will be available of the Mac and at the moment thier current hit called Bad Company 2 seems to be giving us a lot of hints as to what to expect from BF3.

Yestarday EA released the latest add-on for BC2 called BC2 Vietnam and this seems to have raised the graphical and game play stakes even higher than the already high standards of BC2. In short, if this is what we have now then BF3 will undoubtedly be something spectacular.

I created a short video of my first go at BC2: 'Nam so you can see some of the action and the scenery...

When I think that I started my FPS 'career' playing Marathon on my old Performa 630 you have to be amazed at the progress made with graphics (and bear in mind I am only playing with a medium spec'd PC rig with a ATI HD8500 card). It wouldbe fantastic to get this sort of game back on the Macintosh!

I did a very short write up about my first attempt at this game on my blog: Milgeek's first game of Bad Company 2 Vietnam

Noodle
Delta Force

Re: News from the 'dark side' (PC) - Bad Company 2 Vietnam

Post by Noodle » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:27 am

Comes out on the xbox in a few days... makes me wish I had money. But it looks really fucking sweet. I look forward to conquering Hill 137. (Also, that tank is a... Patton... right?)

Zanghfei
Ranger

Post by Zanghfei » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Aaaaaah! My favourite Country.

crazyshroom
Ranger
Location: I'm sorry I'm in your house cooking bacon for my family

Post by crazyshroom » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:54 am

Wow why not BF BC2 Iraq

[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:57 am

crazyshroom wrote:Wow why not BF BC2 Iraq
I think you only have to remember the furor caused by Medal of Honor Reboot and thier decision to base the gameplay in Afghanistan why EA has decided to avoid an Iraq based game (MoH:R was banned from sale in US Army stores worldwide).

Better to take the time honoured game ploy of coming up with a ficticious war or historical campaign.

To be fair, we have to remember that we (the USA and UK) are still involved in a real shooting war in Afghanistan and the situation is Iraq is still a raw nerve. I agree that it is a insult to current serving soldiers - who's lives are in real danger - is we 'toy soldiers' play at doing what they do for real, PARTICULARLY if we give players the choice of playing the opposing force.

There are still plenty of wars that could be used as a base for a game that give a realistic historical background for a game...

For example (these are my imaginary senarios for a further BC2 installment):

> The Cold War Goes Hot: A game based on what would have happened if the Soviet Union had invaded Germany, based on 1970/80s weapons.

> The 6 Day War: The 1967 war between Isreal and Egypt, Jordan and Syria. Plethera of interesting weapons to play with.

But also I think there is still scope to add more inventive game modes - looking back to the Ghost Recon Demo on the Mac I really enjoyed some of the modded multiplayer modes like protect the VIP and there was another with a randomly spawning defence point (which was marked on the map by smoke). I'm sure Monoman can add a list of more.

Another thing that needs looking at is the modding ability of these graphically advanced games. It's getting harder and harder for people to mod for these games - particularly with teh introduction of destructable objects. This is a real shame as you no longer have a community developing extras for the game.

Again, looking at Ghost Recon there was something new from teh community on a weekly basis - including several completely new campigns! Those days are gone I'm afraid - EA didn't even bother releasing a developers toolbox for BC2. :(

So sdaly we are even more dependant on the game devlopers making new content, and because only they can do it that means they can CHARGE for DLC!!!

[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:09 am

EggNog wrote:Comes out on the xbox in a few days... makes me wish I had money. But it looks really fucking sweet. I look forward to conquering Hill 137. (Also, that tank is a... Patton... right?)
I'm not sure what changes there will for the Xbox, but bearing in mind this game is very much trimmed down compared to BF2 I reckon you'll get most of what we have on the PC.

Yes, that's a M48 Patton - the NVA have the T54. These tanks seem to be a lot more mobile than the tanks in the normal BC2 (but they would be as a M48 is a lot lighter than a modern M1A1!). But additionally they have flame throwers! A lot a fun against infantry

You will have to tell us what the Xbox version is like!

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:45 am

Lol... totally don't have money on me but I swear to god I'll try my hardest to get it by christmas... black ops got me in a "vietnam mode" right now... And I think I'll have alot of fun in a soviet T-54.. that's a nice tank.

But... the Six Day War! I remember that! I'm actually really surprised nobody's made a game on it, there was so much awesome air combat and tank combat! It would make for a really epic campaign like how Medal of Honor is on Operation Anaconda and takes two days... you could have missions for all the six days... following the stories of someone in the IAF and then someone in the ground forces. Damn.. EA should work on that. Or somebody..

crazyshroom
Ranger
Location: I'm sorry I'm in your house cooking bacon for my family

Post by crazyshroom » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:56 am

[BIG] Ranger wrote:I agree that it is a insult to current serving soldiers - who's lives are in real danger - is we 'toy soldiers' play at doing what they do for real, PARTICULARLY if we give players the choice of playing the opposing force.
Yes, that would also be very cruel. Do you think when the war in Iraq ceases they will make games about Iraq or will they wait about 5 five years or so?

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:57 am

The war in Iraq IS over, officially. But I doubt that the states would give a shit until at least 5 more years... and there are still some special forces based in Iraq, the US can't deny that.

Devious
Commando

Post by Devious » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:25 am

I have bad company's one and two for mah Xbox, along with Nam. If anyone wants to form up a squad, just add me. Gamertag: L0rd Daedalus
The armaments which thunderstrike the walls
And monarchs tremble in their capitals.
The oak leviathans, whose huge ribs make
Of lord of thee, and arbiter of war;
Alike the Armada's pride, or spoils of Trafalgar.

Zanghfei
Ranger

Post by Zanghfei » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:52 pm

Hey people,
I didn't own Battlefield bad company 2 Vietnam

Is there any singleplayer in vietnam DLC?
Please let me know ;D