Snow Leopard

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
crazyshroom
Ranger
Location: I'm sorry I'm in your house cooking bacon for my family

Re: Snow Leopard

Post by crazyshroom » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:23 pm

For those that haven't go it heres a reveiw from: http://www.testmac.net/osx-106-snow-leopard-preview

Now that we’ve had a chance to really sit down and experience Apple’s newest cat, its time to share our initial reactions to OSX 10.6 - Snow Leopard. Right off the bat, its fast. Very fast. A clean installation took about 13 minutes from start to finish, which is a world of difference from the hour or so that a clean 10.5 Leopard install takes. This has been potentially attributed to the significant reduction in the size of core applications (Snow Leopard’s Mail application is under 100mb, whereas 10.5’s was nearly 300mb). Other theories involve a removal of PowerPC support freeing up space and speeding up the install time. Other than the actual time involved, there are very few differences between the 10.5 and 10.6 installation processes in the current build.
Once you’re up and running, it feels very similar to Leopard. I don’t know how much this will change through Snow Leopard’s development, but don’t expect a terribly different interface. The subtle changes to the current Aqua definitely look good though. The biggest changes are under the hood. Snow Leopard is fast. Very fast. Like, surprisingly fast. From boot times to general application usage, Snow Leopard was noticeably quicker than Leopard when using the same system. Apple and 3rd party applications alike, they all launched faster and performed smoother. I’m sure this can be attributed to the new 64-bit architecture, but its amazing how much of a difference it really is.

Theres moar if you click on the link

P!ckoff
Ranger

Post by P!ckoff » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:41 pm

I read all 23 pages of this last night... fun. But it is the best and most complete review out there.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/20 ... x-10-6.ars
Image Xpro + 3D texture

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:00 pm

Got it in through a clean install.
My Jesus, this thing is fast! Even Safari is fast; pages are loading and rendering nearly instantly, even on MY crappy net.
I'm bit iffy on the new Exposé, but I'm sure I can get used to it.

brb installing iLife

Fuel
Green Beret

Post by Fuel » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:57 pm

I have fire leopard

DIrk

Post by DIrk » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Snow Leopard is pretty win. RAM usage is sweet, VMware should run so much better now :D