Swordedit

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: Swordedit

Post by nil » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Then you're wrong; version control is always useful ;). Plus we were talking about importance of other people being able to use and/or contribute to it anyway. The only reason you were able to build these was because of the existing code being open. I'll give sword a nudge and see if he's okay with this. If he is and you want to keep it closed, don't expect much help on the code. If he doesn't respond, you shouldn't expect the license to have changed.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:35 pm

Samuco wrote:I find version control is only useful when developing with others.
What is it like living in the past? do dinosaurs and pre-historic mammals menace you so you cannot leave your cave?

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:07 am

Rewrote the object rendering code. Comparison movies are below (optimised old vs new vbo).
Running Phoenix with Quicktime player recording (which lowers fps). Without Quicktime running I get 12 fps for the old code and 600 fps for the new code.

http://www.samuco.net/SE/Old.mov
http://www.samuco.net/SE/New.mov

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:15 am

Samuco wrote:Rewrote the object rendering code. Comparison movies are below (optimised old vs new vbo).
Running Phoenix with Quicktime player recording (which lowers fps). Without Quicktime running I get 12 fps for the old code and 600 fps for the new code.

http://www.samuco.net/SE/Old.mov
http://www.samuco.net/SE/New.mov
Needs more vsync.

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:15 am

Samuco wrote:
nil wrote:@Samuco: you can privately PM me a crash report although it is a beta after all. I'm a mac dev member so i have access to it as well, I might install it.. Also why the heck is properly open sourcing a project that was already open sourced unlikely?! Unfortunately for you, he did specfiy GPL when releasing his code. Anyway, if you'd like to talk, send me a PM.
It just hangs and takes up 400% cpu rather than crashing. The current version of starlight has new code that I would refer remained private hence why I did not release the code. If this is going to be an issue, then I am not going to add peoples change requests as it eats into my own time and then can't be released anyway.
Also sounds like someone doesn't know how to make static libs. You get to release the source code then keep the parts you want private by making it link against a static lib that you include already compiled into the project.

GG development because you apparently don't know how to.

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 am

Dirk Gently wrote:Also sounds like someone doesn't know how to make static libs. You get to release the source code then keep the parts you want private by making it link against a static lib that you include already compiled into the project.
Afaik static linking doesn't count as a workaround for the GPL, but dynamic linking does. I think the Unix version of a dynamic library is a .so file.

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:57 am

WaeV wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:Also sounds like someone doesn't know how to make static libs. You get to release the source code then keep the parts you want private by making it link against a static lib that you include already compiled into the project.
Afaik static linking doesn't count as a workaround for the GPL, but dynamic linking does. I think the Unix version of a dynamic library is a .so file.
.dylib

and oh right dynamic libraries because GPL is a load of shit.

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:24 pm

Do you do anything except whining or is that the extent of your capabilities? :lol:
My problem is not with releasing the code but rather the license that the code would be released under. The code changes are not nice little segments or functions.

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Samuco wrote:My problem is not with releasing the code but rather the license that the code would be released under.
What license would you want to release it under?

You still have the right to reuse code you wrote yourself, you know. If you're concerned about a function or something then you could certainly re-use your code in another project.

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:30 am

WaeV wrote:
Samuco wrote:My problem is not with releasing the code but rather the license that the code would be released under.
What license would you want to release it under?

You still have the right to reuse code you wrote yourself, you know. If you're concerned about a function or something then you could certainly re-use your code in another project.
Have you got a source for that? I may be able to release it if that's the case.

Changes:
1. Player spawns now show up as BIPD's
2. Moonlight renderer now displays textures properly
3. Vehicles can be deleted
4. Arrow keys can be used to move objects.
5. You can now type in rotation values.
6. You can now type in position values.
7. Added scroll to rotate objects
8. Added control left click to rotate the camera
9. Additional mod permutations are now rendered
10. Added ability to view player spawns based on game type.
11. Bug fixes & performance enhancements

The somewhat long movie below shows me making a simple mod (with moonlight) that features more vehicles. http://www.samuco.net/SE/SheeWar.mov

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:38 am

Yeah - licenses tell you how other people's code can or can't be used. Because of the GPL license, Sword's code in Swordedit can never be used in a non-GPL project... without permission from Sword.

The reason projects like Linux are effectively stuck as GPL forever is because there have been so many different contributors over the years it would be impossible to ask them all. I bet at least one contributor has died; good luck with that.

But you can always give yourself permission to use your own code in another way. You just can't relicense someone else's code for them.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... erGPLAndNF
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... perViolate

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:48 am

Samuco,

For the license, just specify that you require attribution and that derivative applications should not be published, but that people can continue to work on swordedit just like you have been doing.

I have two requests. Please allow the camera to approach an object without the model of the object disappearing. Please do what I am planning to do with Zeus and add a hotkey to snap an object down the Z axis to the bsp, accounting for the dimensions of the object rather than only the center point of the object.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:23 am

Sparky wrote:For the license, just specify that you require attribution and that derivative applications should not be published, but that people can continue to work on swordedit just like you have been doing.
You can't relicense the Swordedit project without Sword's approval, though, so you have to use the GPL (no changes or additional restrictions).

Any code Samuco *adds* to Swordedit and releases:
1) Must be released under the GPL, since it's being added to a GPL project.
2) Other people are only allowed to reuse that code in GPL projects.
3) Samuco can reuse in any other context, since he holds the copyright.

Any of Sword's code in Swordedit:
1) As of right now can only be used in GPL projects.
2) With Sword's permission could be used in other contexts.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:24 am

WaeV, how about we agree to not shoot ourselves in the foot and let Samuco add whatever license he wants to his own work. Sound like a plan? Or perhaps you aren't one of those who actually finds what he is doing useful and you don't actually care if he continues working on swordedit -- if that is the case, then why are you in this topic to begin with?

Samuco: Please put whatever license you want on what you do and leave whatever license alone on what other people have done. Case closed, move on and don't bother listening to the whining of those who are the cowbirds (leachers) of society because they whine and complain while a certain few actually do the work... and then kick and shove others out of the nest because they feel "entitled" to "own" or use however they please the results of the work of those whose lives they made miserable from their constant whining. So don't acknowledge their presence but just move on. If people want to be respected, they'll learn to respect those who take initiative to get stuff done as they judge for themselves is right and not piss on their neighbor's lawn. Ignore these ungrateful sons of ditches. Do good to them, but feel free to ignore them when you see fit. Some people whine and complain all day and accomplish nothing! Can you believe it? They should at least come to their senses and try to exercise some self-control already.

I actually appreciate what you're doing, even though I'll soon be working on my own version of something similar, but certainly without recycling anyone's code from this place.

Also, since we're on the subject of licenses, here is some nostalgia for you Halo Editing Kit users, kornmann00's Guerilla license:
Orginal Application Name: Guerilla
(C) Bungie

Features:
* Bungie splash screen :D

* Every single fucking field in every fucking tag
is now unlocked. This includes:
-sound
-hud_message_text
-scenerio
-scenario_structure_bsp
-physics
-projectile
-font
-bitmap
-biped
-gbxmodel
-model
-model_animation
-model_collision_geometry
-decal
-scenery
-hud globals
-tag collection
-ui widget collection
-ui widget definition

* I\'ve also revamped some of the tag group definitions

* Added some more hotkeys for your pleasure ;p.

* Added recent file list, but thanks to how it appends
the path in the recent file list to the path
to your tags, it fucks up. Fix one day mb? who knows...

* fixed some gui problems...though I probably caused a few
due to other reasons >_>

* added windows xp theming for you
g4y xp users out there ;p

ALT+Back - Undo
SHIFT+Delete - Cut
CTRL+Insert - Copy
SHIFT+Insert - Paste
CTRL+G - Load Workspace
CTRL+U - Save Workspace
CTRL+K - Cascade
CTRL+Tab - Next Tag
CTRL+Up - Previous block element
CTRL+Down - Next block element
Page Up - Scroll Up tag view
Page Down - Scroll down tag view
Home - Top of tag view
End - Bottom of tag view

End User Agreement:
This \'modified\' version of Bungie's guerilla that was made
to help produce better content for the game Halo
is not offically supported by Bungie or Microsoft in anyway.
They, nor I, take any responsability for any thing that this
application causes on your computer or on any of your
property.
By using this program you agree that you:
1. Own a legal CD key of HaloPC that you bought
2. Are using this program at your own risk
3. Your name isn\'t Veegie
4. Your not \'fantastic\' in anyway, shape or form
5. Not a stubborn HaloPC player.
6. Realize this program isn\'t itself quite legal...
7. <3 Microsoft. </3 Macs

If you don't qualify\\agree to any of them
that I suggest you delete this app from any medium
you posses and GTFO the planet ;p
Sounds like he:

a. is overtired
b. is pig-headed
c. probably lost his dog, his girlfriend, his house, his job... and listens to country music all day

I don't mean to judge, just saying there's a parking lot of attitude in that. And I disagree entirely with #7, which pretty much closes the coffin on my opinion of his experience. His work is appreciated, but this "Read Me" file is just wily.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:53 am

If I retain copyright over my additions (which I should in GPL) then I should be able to release the source. I would prefer to wait for a response from sword before doing that to see if the license can be switched to something more reasonable (such as BSD or MIT). Would anybody have a problem with me releasing a version of moonlight before sword responds?
Sparky wrote:I have two requests. Please allow the camera to approach an object without the model of the object disappearing. Please do what I am planning to do with Zeus and add a hotkey to snap an object down the Z axis to the bsp, accounting for the dimensions of the object rather than only the center point of the object.
#1 This only seems to be happening on the warthog and I don't know why. If you have any idea let me know.
#2 Do you mean so that it snaps such that the entire bounding box is above ground?
I wrote some BSP collision stuff which looks pretty cool:

http://www.samuco.net/SE/BSPSnap.mov
http://www.samuco.net/SE/FPS.mov