No votes

Total votes: 5

Moxus
Delta Force

Night

Post by Moxus » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:21 am

The Dark and the Dead.

Background:

Night is a simple mod which places Blood Gulch in a true night setting; rather than using fog to bring about the effect of night-time, Night has modified and internalized lightmaps which plunge the iconic box canyon in the deep of night. To fit with the darker tones, there have been several other minor changes (primarily to lights) to help Night feel like a truer darkness.

To my knowledge, this type of lightmap mod hasn't been released before. If there is one, please let me know

Screenshots

Looking out.

Blue Base.

Red Base.

--------------------------------

Download

--------------------------------
-=Moxus=-
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Kiyoshi

Re: Night

Post by Kiyoshi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:23 am

<3

G[v]N
Green Beret

Post by G[v]N » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:25 am

Into my hard drive you go.
Moxus wrote:Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:27 am

Ahh this is what you were talking about : P

Downloading now.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

G[v]N
Green Beret

Post by G[v]N » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:53 am

'Kay, these are my thoughts:

Pretty simple concept and changes, but (I'm thinking) very playstyle-altering. On Slayer with a player color of black (or active camo) this would certainly introduce a whole new 'stealth' element to BG. In that sense, I'm thinking the Sniper Rifle's night vision is going to come in very handy, and to a lesser extent, your flashlight.

There's only one minor 'flaw' I can think of: the already-weak plasma weapons (excluding the Fuel Rod ofc) would be easily revealed thanks to the green/blue glow that emanates from the weapons. I haven't actually played a few games, but this will *probably* reduce usability of the plasma weapons to none. Unless it's Slayer. But in any case it's too much of a disadvantage.

Anyway, as for aesthetics- though simple, the effect is..well..effective :P . The lights in the base provide a very..calming(?) feeling; not that it's anything bad - it's just beautiful.

Overall, yes, a simple mod- but drastic changes in gameplay, greatly varying the levels of equipment usability.

To be honest, it is a nice mod, though I'm not sure if it's 'different' enough to motivate constant play; since it's a non-CSS mod. If worse comes to worst, it would make a nice template.
Moxus wrote:Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Monk34
Ranger

Post by Monk34 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:02 am

O_O You keep releasing awesome mods. Love the light effects.

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:05 am

G[v]N wrote:There's only one minor 'flaw' I can think of: the already-weak plasma weapons (excluding the Fuel Rod ofc) would be easily revealed thanks to the green/blue glow that emanates from the weapons. I haven't actually played a few games, but this will *probably* reduce usability of the plasma weapons to none. Unless it's Slayer. But in any case it's too much of a disadvantage.

I never even thought of that! You're right: the glow is extremely revealing in the pitch black. I'll look into the change, but in the meantime, a game-play pointer: When you're using a plasma based weapon, after you've either killed an enemy or are finished with it, stow it for a short time to eliminate the glow.
G[v]N wrote:Anyway, as for aesthetics- though simple, the effect is..well..effective :P . The lights in the base provide a very..calming(?) feeling; not that it's anything bad - it's just beautiful.
<3.
G[v]N wrote:To be honest, it is a nice mod, though I'm not sure if it's 'different' enough to motivate constant play; since it's a non-CSS mod. If worse comes to worst, it would make a nice template.
Thoughtful and extremely correct. Yet, considering the few mods which make it to constant play, I wouldn't be surprised if it faded.

Thanks to everyone for your comments, and special thanks to the Grav for the honest and insightful critique!

-=Moxus=-
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

G[v]N
Green Beret

Post by G[v]N » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:59 pm

It's what I do ^.^

Fortune
Ranger

Post by Fortune » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:01 pm

It looks nice, though i dont really see any point to it. The only fun it would serve is when playing on a regular server, you not being host.
ᕦ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )ᕤ

Visiting this website is filled with nostalgia. Its like going to an old home.

Thank you for all the memories. Never change.

Zanghfei
Ranger

Post by Zanghfei » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Quite fun, why cloud is White instead black?

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Because cloud look more awesome and real if white?

Black clouds would be good for a less-realistic mod though...
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
WilliamSub wrote:They flock with your hormones
MGM Sig

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:56 pm

Not too bad, Moxus. I'll have to try this tonight.

Zanghfei
Ranger

Post by Zanghfei » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Kayar wrote:Because cloud look more awesome and real if white?

Black clouds would be good for a less-realistic mod though...
but if you look in the sky (for night).
is look less-Black or somethin'

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:36 am

Fortune wrote:It looks nice, though i dont really see any point to it. The only fun it would serve is when playing on a regular server, you not being host.
I disagree; the stealthy feel and ability to hide virtually anywhere promote a very different style of play, well worth the mod. Besides, if nothing else, it saves anyone wanting to make a map featuring night-time some tedious work.

-=Moxus=-

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:39 am

Moxus wrote:
Fortune wrote:It looks nice, though i dont really see any point to it. The only fun it would serve is when playing on a regular server, you not being host.
I disagree; the stealthy feel and ability to hide virtually anywhere promote a very different style of play, well worth the mod. Besides, if nothing else, it saves anyone wanting to make a map featuring night-time some tedious work.

-=Moxus=-
I find it fun to play with this mod on. it gives a huge challenge....... so i modded the sniper's night vision so it was super intense and was white..... made it look like a thermal sight. t'was cool.