X-Plane: Operation ATLANTA

Everything related to machinima.
Noodle
Delta Force

X-Plane: Operation ATLANTA

Post by Noodle » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Merry Christmas.
Last video of 2009. Merry christmas, and thanks to all my viewers for support!

Gulf of Aden, present day. Operation ATLANTA is the name of the NATO mission to prevent piracy off the coast of Somalia, and at it's height, the Irene Maersk, not unlike the Maersk Alabama which was taken by pirates a year ago, sends a distress call. NATO forces determine that this is, too, a hijacking. Will they bring the ship home safely? Stay tuned

jack

Re: X-Plane: Operation ATLANTA

Post by jack » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:10 am

a few things
1. Good video
2. You bought all those vehicles?
3. You make machinima's?

Fortune
Ranger

Post by Fortune » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:22 am

@Jack: yes, yes and yes. tho im not sure what you mean by the second question... Do you need to buy expansion packs to get vehicles? Also, if you think you will be staying here, you should think of getting an account instead of continually guest posting.
lol i bet taxi was one of those italian special forces paratroopers jumpin out of that plane. Watching your xplane machinima makes me wanna get xplane 9 for mac badly. I think i will torrent it sometime soon and see.
ᕦ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )ᕤ

Visiting this website is filled with nostalgia. Its like going to an old home.

Thank you for all the memories. Never change.

jack

Post by jack » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:55 pm

Fortune wrote:@Jack: yes, yes and yes. tho im not sure what you mean by the second question... Do you need to buy expansion packs to get vehicles? Also, if you think you will be staying here, you should think of getting an account instead of continually guest posting.
lol i bet taxi was one of those italian special forces paratroopers jumpin out of that plane. Watching your xplane machinima makes me wanna get xplane 9 for mac badly. I think i will torrent it sometime soon and see.
Well seafire blocks me from the forum, so i cant. but it's icebulb.

Any ways i think that he might have made some air craft, but they look hard to make.

Anyways xplane 9 can be a waste of time, and money and space if you don't really know how to use it.

It takes up a lot of space, HD, or Xplane

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:21 pm

The only thing I have against you is you keep PMing me and act like you're 8 years old. >.>

In response to your questions:

1: Thank you.
2: Most of those- check that, all of those were free aircraft and ships. Most of the aircraft can be found at x-plane.org.
3: Dhurr. Check my youtube page and my blog.

@Fortune:

Some stuff is free, some stuff isn't. Frankly, right now is the "golden age" for X-Plane, and most "payware" aircraft and add-ons are usually under ten bucks. The really good stuff (Or just the overpriced stuff) can be 20 or more.

Just bear in mind that ANY payware is sure to be an outstanding aircraft, and if you're lucky some payware quality planes are released for free. (Like the C-27J Spartan that was dropping Taxi. Lawl, Taxi...)

@General idea for buying X-Plane:

It's a great sim, I really enjoy it, especially with all the potential it has. But keep in mind that you will have to pay a lot of attention to the details, and it will take a while before you master it. IMO, the cost is reasonable ($30 for just the install CD, $20 or more depending on the extra scenery you add to it.), and for Mac, it's the only serious option at the moment.

It's certainly changed the way I look at aviation. Ever since my cousin downloaded the demo for it about three christmases ago, I've been hooked. I'm even trying for my private pilot's license now. X-Plane can be for anyone, frankly. And it can get as serious as being FAA certified. But you choose your own path. Just always remember that once you get it, there's really no turning back. It's a lot of hard disk and money, that ships in a package about the size of your torso.

For TL;DR's, I'd suggest it, but only if you really want to get into aviation.
Last edited by Noodle on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortune
Ranger

Post by Fortune » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:17 pm

yeah, my uncle is a commercial pilot. He has an iphone and i really liked playing xplane on it. I got hooked. Ima try the demo when i can, to see if its worth it.
ᕦ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )ᕤ

Visiting this website is filled with nostalgia. Its like going to an old home.

Thank you for all the memories. Never change.

jack

Post by jack » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:07 pm

Hmmm, when I checked the sight, almost nothing was free. Y'know they made the frigate from halo buy-able. I liked X-plane but it made my computer slow. I also wanted to make my own airplane, but, the instruments were all messed up.any ways can you show me a tutorial how to fly a helicopter? Let me ask you, do you know how skin them? I had the demo and I still was able to skin them

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:09 pm

What? No, just about everything at x-plane.org is free, yo. You just have to create an account there.

tokage
Ranger

Post by tokage » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:33 pm

Alright, posting this as I watch.

First off, might I interest you in more detailed skins for the boat?
And thank you for finally putting in subtitles, no offense but I could never hear or understand you over the music in the other movies.
You might also try changing your voice a bit in iMovie. You'd be surprised how much deepening your voice a bit on the other side of the radio can help.
No smoke after being hit by an rpg? Maybe X-plane just can't do that.
Woah. At like 3:57 the water looks amazing.
Taxi fell out pretty stiff XD

I'd give it 4.7/5

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:48 pm

Ehh, the obj. file I found for the container ship had a texture file that was like 100 x 150, or something.

X-Plane does have "dead engine" effects where smoke will pour out of it, but there's no real way to manually do that without actually shooting down another AI helicopter.

tokage
Ranger

Post by tokage » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:50 pm

And I'm guessing the helicopter would just fall instead of the desired effect

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:51 pm

Yeah... I'll experiment with engine fires sometime later.