[TuT]Mod Basics 101

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Pielogist
Ranger

Re: [TuT]Mod Basics 101

Post by Pielogist » Tue May 12, 2009 5:51 am

Thx a lot for the tut, i totally agree with your 'balance' part. But about the 'nooby' weapon part, rapid-fire rockets is exactly what i did, but in my case, i tuned the cyborg health up and damage of rockets down. So now people get a chance to fight back and kill. I think it's fair.

(The reason i did that is because most people like violence and rockets flying everywhere, even though they don't kill easily. But that's just how the brain works :D )

BTW a tut about tags in general and what each tag do would be nice

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:33 am

G[v]N wrote:I would appreciate it if you guys suggested more topics to write on, to make the tut more complete. (I wouldn't mind if you wrote a section either :P )
2.2 is duplicated, by the way. It should read 2.2 then 2.3.

I'd like to add:

3: Publishing Your New Mods

===============

3.1: Screenshots
Play through your mod and take screenshots. To do this, use cmd-shift-3. The image will show up on your desktop, by default. You can upload your images to the Diner Gallery (see the next paragraph), or Filefront.

Important Stuff To Keep In Mind -
~ The images should be resized before you post them. You can use GraphicConverter, Gimp, or some freeware apps found at PureMac to do this. Alternatively, upload them to the MGM Diner Gallery, click on "Last Uploads", then click on your image. The image will show up in a resized version. Cntrl-click the image and copy its link. Paste these links into a new text file to save them for the next steps.

===============

3.2: Upload Your Mod to HDM
You can upload your file to filefront.com or mediafire.com. Copy the download link and save it in a text file for later.

After you've gotten better at modding, you should publish your mods to the Mod Database at HDM: Visit our partner site, HaloDemoMods, register on the wiki, send Sparky or nil a PM here at the forum requesting to join the HDM modders group, wait for one of them to add you to the group, then visit the Mod Database and edit the field that falls alphabetically behind your mod's name and use the same format to insert your mod. You can use the upload.halodemo.net page to upload your mod. Read the Mod Database discussion page so you know the rules for using the database.

~ Some people can't download from MediaFire or FileFront.

===============

3.3: Create a topic
Finally, create a topic for your mod at this Halo Demo forum here at MGM. If you've uploaded your file to the Mod Database, you can use the description from that entry. Your topic title should be something like "[MOD] Turrets of Glory" so that it can be identified as a mod topic. In the post, use the image links you saved from the previous steps: place the link between image BBCode tags. Post the file's download link that you saved in the text file.

~ Always give your mod a title suited to its theme. The best idea is to develop the title right after you come up with the theme.
~ When you post your mod, be open to suggestions for improvement. This is a forum meant for discussion.

===============
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

G[v]N
Green Beret

Post by G[v]N » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:52 am

Thanks, Spark. Your awesome contribution is now edited into the post. :P
Moxus wrote:Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:32 am

Update please- i want to know more of the knowledge of professional mods!
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Sugarlumps
Ranger

Post by Sugarlumps » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:50 am

pielogist wrote:Thx a lot for the tut, i totally agree with your 'balance' part. But about the 'nooby' weapon part, rapid-fire rockets is exactly what i did, but in my case, i tuned the cyborg health up and damage of rockets down. So now people get a chance to fight back and kill. I think it's fair.

(The reason i did that is because most people like violence and rockets flying everywhere, even though they don't kill easily. But that's just how the brain works :D )

BTW a tut about tags in general and what each tag do would be nice
When did you have a rocket mod?

G[v]N you mean something like my Fuels and Rockets CSS Mod? Where the damage gets real low like 10?

I like this tut. Command Shift 4 is an ideal way to take a picture of one object too.

I wanna add the the screenshots part

3.1: Screenshots
Play through your mod and take screenshots. To do this, use cmd-shift-3. The image will show up on your desktop, by default. You can upload your images to the Diner Gallery (see the next paragraph), or Filefront, or even Tinypic.com. Screenshots can be just a picture of a mod, but it would be preferable if it is 3rd person if it has new changes. A way to do this is to use 3rd person hack. If that doesn't work, you may want to try using a Warthog's side seat, by getting off and on. For example: I want to take a picture of my sniper. I switch to my other weapon, lets say pistol. I get in my hog side seat. I get out, and there will be a moment where you are in 3rd person. Quickly tab out (command tab) and youll switch to your other weapon auto matically once you press tab. Take a screenshot of yourself in 3rd person, maybe in the middle of a meelee, which will look cool. 3rd person may be hard, so you can just get a friend to pose for you, or just take a picture first person.

Mostly teaching ppl how to do 3rd person for screenshots by th
\emselves lol~
Click!