[Tutorial] High Accuracy Airstrike

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Ranger
Location: Forerunner Cartography Installation 330, making new maps!

[Tutorial] High Accuracy Airstrike

Post by 2310 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:08 am

Most airstrikes involve using a high z-offset, which is fairly simple, but makes it hard to tell where the airstrike's going to land. This method of airstrike creation allows the airstrike to hit exactly where you shoot at.

Credits:

Sparky (for making the Chainspawning effe)
Taxi (for helping test and create the idea)
Darth Vader (for finding errors in this tutorial)
RIPz (for helping to test)

What you'll need:
  1. Eschaton
  2. Sparky's Chainspawning Grenades
What you need to do:
  1. Import two instances of Sparky's Chainspawning explosion effe. Note that you'll need a map with Chainspawning nades, as the tags are currently in HEK format.
  2. Duplicate (export and re-import) the Needle proj tag twice.
  3. Name the first Needle proj tag as "airstrike\drone" and the second as "airstrike\riser"
  4. Switch the weapon of your choice to fire the Needle.
  5. Change the "drone" to chainspawn the "riser" by switching the needle detonation effe with the first chainspawning explosion effe.
  6. In the first chainspawning explosion effe, set Reflexives > Events > Events 1 > Reflexives > Parts > Parts 08 > Bitmask16s and check "Face Down Regardless of Location".
  7. Change the drone's max range to 500.
  8. Change the riser to bounce off all materials.
  9. Change the riser's detonation effe to the second chainspawining explosion effe.
  10. Change all chainspawning slots in the second chainspawning effe to the frag grenade.
  11. Set the riser's velocity as 0, maximum range as 20 and gravity as -10.
  12. Change the drone to attach to all materials.
  13. Enjoy!
Further improvements:
  • Mess with the max range settings of the riser for a higher/lower airstrike.
  • Instead of using frag nades, use rockets with no speed and high gravity. Use the flag "oriented along velocity" so the rockets point down, and duplicate them so they don't conflict with other rocket-using weapons.
  • Use a new model for the drone!
  • Disable autoaim on the Airstrike (range=0)
  • Darth Vader wrote:make the drone chainspawn 3 risers. Much more effective for those who used grenades as their payloads. also, set the payload gravity scale to something about 8(base size spread)
Last edited by 2310 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:23 am, edited 5 times in total.

Darth Vader

Re: [TUT] High Accuracy Airstrike

Post by Darth Vader » Fri May 31, 2013 4:38 am

Very nice job....
"And for a split second, the rabbit wondered what the anti-personnel mine was doing in the carrot patch" - Works of David Shrigley

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Re: [Tutorial] High Accuracy Airstrike

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Fri May 31, 2013 2:17 pm

You can even make a partially CSS air strike with this same concept as this one, because chainspawning effect is CSS!
I made one for Halo Demo PPC and it works quite well!
Nice tutorial!

Also if you change the gravity of the riser to something higher or lower then -10, then it will change at which height the airstrike launches the rockets.

Ranger

Post by 2310 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:08 pm

Actually, I think the riser's gravity will only affect the delay between the drone hitting and the airstrike spawning above - as we are using distance, not time, to detonate the projectile.

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » Fri May 31, 2013 8:04 pm

Ermmmmm, i think i have a prob..... the riser and the drone.... they are suppose to have 2 separate chainspawns but they seem to share one? i change one to the riser chainspawn and the drone follows the change too? help?.
"And for a split second, the rabbit wondered what the anti-personnel mine was doing in the carrot patch" - Works of David Shrigley

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:42 am

You know.... rEsTnPeAcEz..... using this.... we have our halo 4 incinerator cannon... its just a really low airstrike with 4 projectiles....you should add this into your halo 4 css....

Ranger

Post by 2310 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:08 am

Darth Vader wrote:Ermmmmm, i think i have a prob..... the riser and the drone.... they are suppose to have 2 separate chainspawns but they seem to share one? i change one to the riser chainspawn and the drone follows the change too? help?.
Make sure you're using different projectiles, and re-check that you've named everything right. (Given that you're dealing with two similar projectiles and two similar effects, re-naming is really helpful to doing it right.) I haven't had this problem yet ...

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:34 am

Renamed them very distinctly. If "chainspawn drone" and chainspawn riser" for the chainspawn thing is not distinct then i have no idea. same goes for the projectile which was named according to the tut.

i really have no idea why they share the same tags... if one changes, so does the other....

Ranger

Post by 2310 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:36 am

That is strange ... could you send me the map?

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:28 am

Darth Vader wrote:You know.... rEsTnPeAcEz..... using this.... we have our halo 4 incinerator cannon... its just a really low airstrike with 4 projectiles....you should add this into your halo 4 css....
Thanks for the idea, dude. I have been trying to make the incinerator cannon for like how long. I wasn't really planning to upgrade halo 4 css, but with your help and ideas, I think I should.
Also you can call me RIPz, like you do in the game :lol:

The only thing about the incinerator cannon is that the projectiles don't spawn in the air, but spawn on the ground goes up then falls. My idea is to make the explosion of the incinerator cannon a regular "red" explosion and chain spawn 4 projectiles that has negative gravity so it goes up, but then it has a maximum detonation range of something like 2 meters then it will detonate in the air, which will trigger another explosion that will chainspawn the 4 projectiles that will a high positive gravity to fall and explode. This is really interesting.

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:29 pm

Then just slowdown the riser so you can see it. also adjust the drone time to be instant detonation

Ranger

Post by 2310 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Update: Riser must bounce off ground to work, and face down to be precise.

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:07 pm

And another improvement.... make the drone chainspawn 3 risers. Much more effective for those who used grenades as their payloads. also, set the payload gravity scale to something about 8(base size spread)