-redacted-

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Tucker933
Peon

-redacted-

Post by Tucker933 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:44 am

-redacted-
Last edited by Tucker933 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: [GUIDE] Gameplay Design

Post by nil » Thu May 09, 2013 10:51 pm

I mostly strongly agree with this philosophical post, although it's not really specific to Halo, nor does what you say only apply to game design (I can make some connections with software development, eg, don't blindly take user advice).

I really am in favor of simplicity and visual cues to make things obvious. It's true that if something needs explanation, it can probably be improved, somehow, although technology limitations can get in the way people should work around them in favor of design.

Experience with creating things is probably the most important factor, really. The more "polished/complete" things you make that are released out to wild and tested, the better.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Tucker933
Peon

Re: [GUIDE] Gameplay Design

Post by Tucker933 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:57 am

nil wrote:I mostly strongly agree with this philosophical post, although it's not really specific to Halo, nor does what you say only apply to game design (I can make some connections with software development, eg, don't blindly take user advice).

I really am in favor of simplicity and visual cues to make things obvious. It's true that if something needs explanation, it can probably be improved, somehow, although technology limitations can get in the way people should work around them in favor of design.
It doesn't really pertain to Halo or anything in particular, however I feel it can be beneficial here.

When it comes to visual cues I know what you mean as far as limitations go, an example being with my mods because I can't implement new models or animations. Though whenever possible, especially on a professional project when you have someone for each field, it's very important to convey the functionality of a piece across as many mediums as possible.
An overheating weapon for example should have a sound effect and visual cue to the player that the weapon has overheated rather than have it simply stop firing or a UI overlay hinting towards that. You should be able to draw your own conclusion as to what's happening, though if it's not apparent it will get in the way of gameplay.