Halo Patch for Mavericks + New Lobby

Everything about Halo and its mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Darkness Seeker

Re: Halo Patch for Mavericks + New Lobby

Post by Darkness Seeker » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:08 pm

I have downloaded halo mac, got it working once then when I tried to open it a second time it crashed and gave me a chance to reopen it. I have followed instructions for the Mavericks patch and it still doesn't work. HELP

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:12 pm

Save is not functioning properly. game plays fine on yosemite but when I save and shut down Halo and restart later my save data is wrong and doesn't start where It auto saved.
Any help would be appreciated.

benhanson

Post by benhanson » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:44 pm

I have the same problem on 10.10, game plays OK but won't save.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:21 pm

I can reproduce save not working, but am not entirely sure why it's not working. Since I can run Halo on one of my machines without the patch, I know it must be something unrelated to my patch.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Skywoolf

Post by Skywoolf » Thu May 28, 2015 3:06 am

Thank you for the patch After all these years I still can't find any game I like better than Halo.

I am using a MacBookPro running Yosemite with a 30" cinema display. The Mavericks + New Lobby patch got Halo to load and run but all the rocks and trees are invisible while some characters are black or yellow silhouettes and some vehicles are yellow silhouettes.

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Skywoolf

Post by Skywoolf » Thu May 28, 2015 8:51 pm

I found the solution to the invisible rocks and trees. I turned off Pixel Shaders.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri May 29, 2015 9:18 am

Yes, that's one way. Another is if you're using HaloMD, you can enable the Shader Workaround extension which tries to work around the graphics issue whilst keeping pixel shaders on.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Oberon

Halo Lobby Updater for PowerPC & Intel Macs

Post by Oberon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:34 pm

I've created a short AppleScript (available for download as Halo Lobby Updater) to patch Halo (Universal Binary version 2.0.4 for both PowerPC & Intel Macs) or the Halo Demo (version 1.5.2) to use the new multiplayer Internet-lobby after GameSpy stopped supporting it in 2014.

Moreover mid-level saved checkpoints in the campaign can be loaded as expected.

The details are:
  • The PowerPC Halo Demo will use the new master servers under hosthpc.com as shown in lines 77—80, i.e.
  • a multiplayer game created and hosted for the internet will be published to the lobby
  • where it can be seen and joined by other Halo Demo clients (but nobody else owing to the dated code base).
  • The changes to the full Universal Binary version are based on nils "Halo Lobby Patch" (the third download in the head of the thread) and include
    • the new master servers as above and
    • exchanging the version string "01.00.09.0620" with "01.00.10.0621" (from the latest Halo PC patch) in several places in the code - see lines 89—92 in mavericks_patch.c
    • as well as the previous compatible version "01.00.08.0616" with "01.00.09.0620".
  • One copy of "01.00.09.0620" in the data area was left untouched but has to be updated too because
    • the string wasn't compiled into the PowerPC code which instead references it for filtering the lobby and
    • verifying checkpoints for compatibility (on both CPU types) - formerly the new version was only used to create checkpoints so they were not recognized on load and Halo fell back to the beginning of the level.
      (As an implication new checkpoints can not be read by an unpatched Halo.)
    • The difference can be seen in the About tab of the Edit Profile Settings.
  • Both PowerPC and Intel hosts can announce games to the lobby
  • that can be seen and joined by all clients using version "01.00.10.0621" (including Windows) and
  • both can see and join any current host in the lobby.
  • This Updater should run on any Mac OS X since 10.3 though it has only been tested on 10.5/PPC and 10.10,
  • works with all three language variants when brought to version 2.0.4 and
  • is fully compatible with the Patch for Mavericks (which is still needed on Intel Macs) and both can be applied in any order.
A tool like Port Map is usually required to forward ports 2302 and 2303 when hosting a game at home behind a typical Network Address Translation router.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:25 pm

Looks cool! I never really did figure why campaign broke all of a sudden.. That was always strange to me. We might look into making the full campaign playable for MD users (intel, 10.7+) as long as they have all the maps. At least, it sounds like a decent idea..

KernkraftX360

Post by KernkraftX360 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:53 am

Anyone on Power PC wants to test the HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED Demo? Looks like the servers are running on empty. Twitter me: KernkraftX360

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:39 pm

I updated the original post to include how to play the full campaign with HaloMD. The multiplayer version isn't altered there (because we have an entirely separate lobby), so it shouldn't run into saving issues that Oberon mentions above.

A Stick

Post by A Stick » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:01 am

When I put the Halo and the maverics_patch.dylib in the MacOS folder it gave me this error saying You can’t open the application “Halo” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported. Im on OS X 10.11 El Captian
IGN: a stick
Discord: Stick#9145

DudeQuestion

Post by DudeQuestion » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:14 am

Wow, great work nil!

So if we have a retail copy of Halo for Mac... with this patch, we'd be able to join PC servers with 1.10?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:01 pm

You should be able to join the servers anyway (by eg: direct IP). What this patch does is update the list of the servers that show up in the lobby to reflect 1.10 servers.

Christhefox

Post by Christhefox » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:09 pm

Are there any fov fixes for the mac version?