Suuuuuper quick question here

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

a bullet

Suuuuuper quick question here

Post by a bullet » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Hellooooo, Halo Mac modding community! I haven't stopped around here for awhile as I've since bought windows 7 for my Mac and am trying to get used to the Custom Edition set of tools, but I was wondering if any of you old chaps had developed a map converter while I've been gone. I was hoping to convert an old mod that I released (the only one, actually,) to custom edition so I can release it for CE players. I remember that Pearl converted Halo full and and some custom edition maps to Halo Demo, but is there a conversion program that does the opposite?

This is the mod I'm hoping to convert:
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=18500
(The DL link is long gone but I still have the original file)
ty xoxo
Whenever I see Nuthead's avatar all I can see is a sad, abandoned cigarette butt that is forced to spend the holidays all alone in the cold.

Modzy
Green Beret

Re: Suuuuuper quick question here

Post by Modzy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:46 pm

viewtopic.php?f=101&t=18512

This will be an interesting experiment, try this:

Download Pearl 2
Create a folder and copy all of halo full's singleplayer maps to that folder. (a10, b30, etc)
Copy all of the stock maps from your Halo CE maps folder to the folder with the singleplayer maps in it.

Open up Pearl and go to the Tools menu, select the Index Generator.
Once there, select your demo maps folder, and for the full map's folder, select the folder you created earlier.

Press "Generate" and close Pearl.

Once those steps are completed:

Open Pearl and select the mod you want to convert from demo to CE.
Change the drop down menu to "Demo to Full" instead of to MD.
Convert the map. Note: when you name the map file, that name also gets applied to the internal map name.

Open the converted map in a hex editor.

Go to offset 0x4 (the four bytes directly after "daeh").
Change 0x07000000 to 0x61020000.

Start up CE and test it out!

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:17 pm

Modzy, you should release a version of Pearl which can freely convert between all versions of Halo!

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:06 pm

WaeV wrote:Modzy, you should release a version of Pearl which can freely convert between all versions of Halo!

All the different ways the image and sound data are stored makes that such a pain the arse. If it were as easy as just changing all the pointers I could do it in about then hour but all that raw data crap makes it so headache. Much angst.

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Well, rather than enable all conversions, you could just go back and forth from one version.

MD <=> Demo
MD <=> Full
MD <=> CE

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:29 pm

WaeV wrote:Well, rather than enable all conversions, you could just go back and forth from one version.

MD <=> Demo
MD <=> Full
MD <=> CE
That would make such crappy implementations that it's more worth just making it go through all versions. :p

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:12 am

For what it's worth, we have a MD/full version of your mod on our database.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Pyrhex

Post by Pyrhex » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:30 pm

mind if I fix it up for md?

a bullet

Post by a bullet » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:05 pm

Is Halo Demo, like, officially dead? I'm not talking about MD (I haven't logged on there,) but I just threw open Halo Demo Mac for the sake of testing some old unfinished mods and there were no servers up. I knew the population was ridiculously low, but usually I thought there would be about 24 people online.
Whenever I see Nuthead's avatar all I can see is a sad, abandoned cigarette butt that is forced to spend the holidays all alone in the cold.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:54 pm

Just means that activity became worse over time which was what we pretty much expected. MD definitely has much more activity now.

The demo lobby still works though, which you can browse here.

Should be able to convert your mods from demo to MD or full (and maybe CE) via Pearl.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!