How to host / start a HaloMD server?

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

jeepwrangler

How to host / start a HaloMD server?

Post by jeepwrangler » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi,

I'd like to run a dedicated Triforce server for the community, and while I was able to easily for Halo Demo (I have DMZ port forwarding enabled on my router, meaning all ports are open), I'm having some trouble with HaloMD. i can't get my server to list in the server list.

Is there a step-by-step guide, or could someone layout the steps I need to go through to host a server?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: How to host / start a HaloMD server?

Post by nil » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:36 pm

Hey.

We use this software for hosting dedicated servers: http://macgamingmods.com/forum/viewtopi ... 01&t=18567

It doesn't require having Halo running and doesn't require the host to be in-game. Give it a try. Like the thread mentions, before running this software, you should change your in-game ports to 2304 - 2305 so the dedi can use 2302 - 2303. Restart Halo and MD lobby app after making that change.

If that works, you can then copy the triforce map into the dedi's Maps folder (in its package contents, which is explained in the linked thread). Check if your game shows up on the web lobby list. You may have to give it a minute (though probably not).
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

jeepwrangler

Post by jeepwrangler » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks for the reply!

Interesting dilemma... I started the server, and it shows up in the web lobby list (Beer's Triforce Pub), but doesn't in the Halo MD list. I see people joining and playing, but I can't join the server myself, even if I manually type in the ip/port in the game.

I have ports 2302-2306 forwarded, and HaloMD's ports set to 2304 + 2305... quite confusing... any ides? (Tried restarting router, computer, tried on another mac, etc... no luck!)

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:39 am

jeepwrangler wrote:Thanks for the reply!

Interesting dilemma... I started the server, and it shows up in the web lobby list (Beer's Triforce Pub), but doesn't in the Halo MD list. I see people joining and playing, but I can't join the server myself, even if I manually type in the ip/port in the game.

I have ports 2302-2306 forwarded, and HaloMD's ports set to 2304 + 2305... quite confusing... any ides? (Tried restarting router, computer, tried on another mac, etc... no luck!)
This isn't really an uncommon problem, though it's odd. Your computer can't detect itself by using your public IP, but anyone else from the outside can. Basically, your server shows up for everyone else. In order to join your own dedicated server, one way is to join it by direct IP locally. Your computer's local IP on you network may be something like 192.168.1.5 or something. System Preference's Network settings should tell you.

So I'd start up Halo, go into Multiplayer -> join game under Direct IP, and enter in something like 192.168.1.5:2302 (don't forget port number). It's also possible to add this IP to the lobby window so it'll show up there. Let me know if you are able to join and I can explain that further if you want.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

jeepwrangler

Post by jeepwrangler » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Works! Thank you.

For clarification, if your server is showing up in the web list, make sure you connect to your local IP via HaloMD (type in your local IP, example 192.168.1.101:2302)

hax0rkine

Post by hax0rkine » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi, there. I've got an Asus router and I'm having trouble hosting a game. I saw a post titled "How to host / start a HaloMD server?" but someone there is listing different ports. Anyways, I've attached a screenshot showing what I have entered: http://i64.tinypic.com/2hfub6w.jpg , is that correct of the data I entered?

When I go to the HaloMD app list, I click on refresh and I see my hosted game and just to make sure I click refresh again and now my hosted game is gone and on the bottom says that I may have hosting issues. I even installed port mapper. What else can I do?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:39 pm

hax0rkine wrote:Hi, there. I've got an Asus router and I'm having trouble hosting a game. I saw a post titled "How to host / start a HaloMD server?" but someone there is listing different ports. Anyways, I've attached a screenshot showing what I have entered: http://i64.tinypic.com/2hfub6w.jpg , is that correct of the data I entered?

When I go to the HaloMD app list, I click on refresh and I see my hosted game and just to make sure I click refresh again and now my hosted game is gone and on the bottom says that I may have hosting issues. I even installed port mapper. What else can I do?
You used IP 192.168.1.1 which is probably wrong (that is likely the router address). You need to use the IP of your machine inside your network, which probably starts with "192.168.1."

Open up System Preferences, go to Network settings, and it should tell you the IP address of your machine inside of your network. Note if you're using DHCP, this address may change if your computer re-connects to your network so you may want to use DHCP with manual address and pick an address that won't conflict with any other devices on your network.

(When you host a game in halo, on the bottom right when bringing up the scores, Halo should show you your machine's IP on the network there as well).

Edit: As this thread already notes, you should verify if your server shows up by using the web lobby. And be sure to disable the port mapper extension since it doesn't work for you.

Steve

Post by Steve » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:26 pm

Ok so I have the server running but I can't seem to be able to connect to it now. ideas?

Ranger

Post by 002 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:21 am

Steve wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:26 pm Ok so I have the server running but I can't seem to be able to connect to it now. ideas?
Is it on the web app? https://halomd.macgamingmods.com/lobby/

If so, then you should be able to connect to it from the outside, and from the inside, you'd use your private IP address. If not, try installing the Port Mapper plugin and see if it appears. If it doesn't, try forwarding UDP port 2304 (or whatever port you have set to your server). It should appear on the web lobby then.

nil wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:39 am This isn't really an uncommon problem, though it's odd. Your computer can't detect itself by using your public IP, but anyone else from the outside can. Basically, your server shows up for everyone else. In order to join your own dedicated server, one way is to join it by direct IP locally. Your computer's local IP on you network may be something like 192.168.1.5 or something. System Preference's Network settings should tell you.
Many home networks work using NAT, allowing multiple PCs (among other network devices like printers) to share one public IPv4 address, which is why you have to do things like port forwarding when you host servers behind a router. This is unlike dedicated servers which often have IP addresses dedicated to them. This is why if you try to send packets to your public IP on such networks, your packets can be dropped depending on your router's configuration, because none of your devices actually own that IP address. Some routers do have something called hairpin NAT or NAT loopback which will have your router direct packets to the correct device as if it came from the outside, but technically it doesn't have to do this, so I'd imagine many people would have this issue.

IPv6 removes the need for NAT, allowing many devices to have their own public IPv6 address. As we all know, not everyone has NAT, and without an MD plugin, HaloMD won't support it.