[WIP] HaloMD Zombies Gametype

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Re: [WIP] HaloMD Zombies Gametype

Post by TaxiService » Sat May 18, 2013 12:11 pm

>The problem with doing that is that some weapons have either word in them and they end up being not the energy sword, which means that it could possibly give the wrong weapon to the zombies.

That's just so improbable, man. I bet 10$ that a script like that would work in any CE map that you'd (reasonably) choose to play in your mapcycle.

Even better, check if any of the itmcs use a weap tag with energy and/or sword as its dependency; and if yes use that weap as the one to give them.

Chances are that it'll always work when there's an energy sword. Find me another CE weapon that has "sword" in its name, dude.
If there is, then find me one that has both "energy" and "sword" in its name, and isn't an energy sword.
If there are more than one kind of energy swords, the script should be written to find out which one is spawned in the scnr; or just pick one at random.

I think it will work.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat May 18, 2013 12:33 pm

This is actually pretty trivial. Any setting that is specific to a particular mod should be treated as data, not code. Thus, you have a file in some sort of format with a list of maps, and under each map lists exactly what tag in that mod to use. You could even specify nothing for some maps, which will use the "default" option (oddball). You don't even have to check for a tag's existence, because you know it exists if you listed it in the data file that will be parsed. Similarly, you can add other options like time limit, which locations users should not access, and whatever else - all settings that depend on particular map being played. If somehow parsing this file is a bottleneck, you can cache what you need to cache.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed May 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Please add my latest map to zombies: Concretely Cemented, Completely Demented.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Ranger

Post by 002 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:40 am

I'm getting a ton of graphics glitches on that map, like chunks of the map disappearing at certain camera angles.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Thu May 23, 2013 12:41 pm

If the map is made out of scenery, you might wanna check the render bounding radius and the bounding radius of the scenery objects, in Eschaton...
Expand map --> Expand Scenery tag class --> Expand the scenery tag --> Floats ...
The radii must be bigger then the actually object, if it is not, then from certain angles a player will not see the full object.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Thu May 23, 2013 1:47 pm

RIPz beat me to it but yeah, that!

*grows dick a little*
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Thu May 23, 2013 2:03 pm

TaxiService wrote:RIPz beat me to it but yeah, that!

*grows dick a little*

SUCK IT! LOL :P

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Thu May 23, 2013 2:11 pm

But yeah, the render bounding radius is basically the radius of which an object is rendered. The bounding radius is the radius of something getting picked up or entered, but can also be for different things...

My friend:
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthre ... adius-quot

And my other friend:
http://www.halodemomods.com/

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu May 23, 2013 7:54 pm

I had decided to not set the render bounding radius. The bounding radius was set. Both were intentional. And after investigating, it appears both are already set correctly. This suggestion is not the answer.

I did limit the number of scenery visible at each angle, and the vertical walls help limit certain views, but decided to not have every view limited. I also decided to not run the radiosity again.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Fri May 24, 2013 12:46 pm

So basically the map cannot be played, because of how you cannot see the scenery objects from certain camera angles?

Also the
rEsTnPeAcEz wrote: http://www.halodemomods.com/
is not a real url but just underlined and colored text :P if you noticed...

Ranger

Post by 002 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:33 pm

rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:Also the
rEsTnPeAcEz wrote: http://www.halodemomods.com/
is not a real url but just underlined and colored text :P if you noticed...
How does that help Sparky?
rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:SUCK IT! LOL :P
Grow up. You're not helping at all.

Anyway, I'll add Concrete to the mapcycle if it's fixed. The map is pretty cool.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:50 am

11:45:04 <[MT]_Sparky> if (map_file == "concrete_1") { echo "item collections\single weapons\plasma pistol"; echo "<br>"; echo "item collections\single weapons\shotgun"; }

11:45:27 <[MT]_Sparky> put such a php script on a server; you could use the halodemomods.com server

11:45:53 <002a> left

11:48:42 <[MT]_Sparky> then just go to the web page, loading the map file name as a url argument, like ….index.php&concrete_1

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:02 am

002 wrote:I'm getting a ton of graphics glitches on that map, like chunks of the map disappearing at certain camera angles.
This is an issue with the map hitting the BSP poly count.

Apparently it's fixable, but I don't know how yet.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:28 am

In my case, because it was a scenery map, it's the same situation as your problem: the game is rendering too many faces using the same shader tag. To fix it, either duplicate the shader tag and apply it to some of the other faces, or otherwise have fewer visible faces with the same shader tag -- change their shader tag or use sealed portal planes so that fewer faces are rendered all at once. If it's a simple metadata edit you're after, try duplicating the shader tag and scenery tag and using half of the one scenery and the other half of the duplicated scenery which references the duplicated shader.

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:44 am

Sparky wrote:the game is rendering too many faces using the same shader tag
Oh, is that what causes this problem? Do you think that's the cause of the BSP issue as well? Just too many faces with the same shader tag, not too many faces in general.