HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: HaloMD

Post by Sparky » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:31 am

In every instance where I saw the icon used in 10.6, the ring was not pixellated. See my screenshot for an example of the largest size. I was thinking of making a 3d model remake of it, or a 2d vector graphic version of it (I could easily do either one) before I noticed that this was not really necessary.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:27 pm

I like the icon. From nil's list, I support The shaft, Crossing, Outpost 49,(haven't played barrier), (haven't played depot either), Moisture though I have yet to play it with other people, Blizzard had messed up spawns, sorry amy, too unprofessional for the "official unofficial" filler maps, sandpit, and the island. Good choices for the most part.
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Well, look. I want to be able to use something like HDemoLauncher to switch maps, and I don't want to be limited to maps that we feel like voting upon here. Votes are lame when it comes to creativity.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Don't forget Snow Gulch! That's a classic for me.
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm looking for default map replacements that we should bundle. The keyword is default. People will still be able to "switch"/"enable" mods as they please. I may or may not create an interface for this, similar to HDemoLauncher. Because this is not Custom Edition, swapping is necessary, but it *might* be possible to do the swapping in the executable instead of in the file system.

@Vegerot: I'm looking for Halo 1 PC maps, not a simple bloodgulch mod.

@Taxi: Anything up with the icon(s)?
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Bloodgulch and b30 should be the only maps included, otherwise you are just pirating the full version.

In other notes, I would still like a non-passworded dedicated server. The phoenix server is just full of noobs with rcon.
(What is the point in playing on a server where you are kicked immediately. If you're not kicked, you are told to go to the cliffs on a map without cliffs... The server is just full of 12-year olds who only know/use works like nigger, fag and jew.) If we are trying to make halo demo work on lion/mountain lion for people like this, I don't want to be a part of it.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Like I said before, the full maps would be a sort of way to 'upgrade' the demo version, much like how we can convert full maps into demo and plug it into bloodgulch. But the loose spots should definitely be used for community maps, since most of the normal players wont be switching maps in and out. This actually makes me want to finish another map I was working on that would have fit well with the no gameplay modding list.
Mgalekgolo wrote: Blizzard had messed up spawns, sorry amy, too unprofessional for the "official unofficial" filler maps.
haha, no offense taken. I guess you didn't read my post but I too said that Blizzard was a bad choice.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:13 pm

I'd like HDM to use a dedicated server. It's unix-based, though, not windows-based. I don't see it happening in the near future because of this. But if I can do it once, I can do it multiple times over.

(At some point, I'll be upgrading HDM to an uber dedicated server, but I don't have the money to invest in this right now, so it'll be some time in 2013 probably before it gets upgraded like that. Then we can go all-out on it.)

Guys, should we be adding suggested gametypes also, which would get installed into the user's profile folder? A bunch of recommended gametypes would be neat.

I suppose it's back to the voting table. I'm rather biased since I know about the amazing mods I'm developing for the near future.

But what happens if we have a really amazing mod come out and we decide it should take the place of another one as default? It just seems like an unfair thing to have a vote.

If there are 20 maps and about 20 active modders at MGM, doesn't that mean we should just take one "best work" from each modder? Let's do it that way, have each of us submit our "best" mod and then determine which ones to choose from THAT list. So at least everyone gets a say and it doesn't become totally political.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:17 pm

The thing is we would like to stay away from mods that edit core-gameplay. That's why Nil listed mods like Crossing and Barrier. Almost-pure maps. I think new people downloading the game would get pretty confused at drastic changes in gameplay across maps...
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Samuco wrote:Bloodgulch and b30 should be the only maps included, otherwise you are just pirating the full version.
With the exception of mods demo modders have created.

Like I said, anyone can pay for a public Halo dedi if they want to. One such website I found on google is here. I don't recommend bothering with "home" dedi's, like what Sparky was thinking about with HDM. They will probably suck. [Also, I'd try to pick a popular location...]

Amy's last two posts are correct. I also never really did say anything about voting. I was just accumulating a list of possible maps to choose from, which I am looking forward to test and see what is playable from a non-modder's perspective, assuming that Pearl will work as we hope that is. (But I do encourage thoughts/feedback).

Adding suggested gametypes is not a bad idea. Never thought about that. On first thought, I can think of adding a "Classic Slayer Pro" version of "Team Slayer."

@Sparky: In the future, If we have enough slots, we add it as a default. Otherwise, we don't. I guess.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:05 am

Well, if you ever decide to have each person submit their best mod to work as a "default" map, then I'll just go with Random Starting Weapons Series, which comes with gametypes also. It's actually a few different maps, but I'd have to go with the Invisible Team King of the Hill with sniper instagib because it's best received by players. Stationary hill with shade turrets in the middle.

Most mods use bloodgulch as a template. The mods which don't often add significant other assets like hangar walls. If you really start considering them all, I think it will come to a vote if not a single submission by each mod author.

Isle is probably the best replacement for a b30-style map by Modzy.
Axis I think should be Brimstone's contribution in this department, since he's not really around here anymore.

Don't think of players as newbies; it's fun to explore and experience different types of strategies. I've seen enthusiasm with Ultimate Icefields which is basically a device machine template with imported weapons.

I'm done here. Think about variety for the players and have mod authors submit a single mod that they see players like playing the most. I like making gametypes and I've made some really nice ones in the past, so I'd be happy to contribute there.

About the dedicated servers, do not waste your money there. If I can figure out how to get it to work with HDM, we'll be able to have a room up for free, and later on, at least 10 dedicated server rooms running for free.

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:49 am

Im on a Mac Monday and Wednesday and from 11-12PM to 3PM Eastern I will be able to play.
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:59 am

Sparky wrote:Isle is probably the best replacement for a b30-style map by Moxus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:03 pm

I'm not going to do a real "voting." I only plan on bundling 5 mods at most. I want classic maps that don't modify core elements of gameplay. I don't want random weapons. I don't want Axis.

As Modzy corrected, Moxus made Isle.

I'm just slightly doubtful about having the dedi's on HDM. I'm almost sure it won't be as good as a real one. But you never know. It is a Windows executable by the way. Good luck.

I was able to test out some maps that were converted from Pearl beta (slightly buggy):

*Shaft is good.

*Crossing and Depot are potentially worthy.

*Moisture looks almost worthy, but the underground tunnel is messed up with shaders (works fine without pixel shaders). If there is no water in the underground part, it may be considered. It also has some other minor issues though. [EDIT]: Shader issue I was having may not be Moisture's fault.

*Outpost 49 seems annoyingly dark and confusing. There is a place that's so dark that the flashlight doesn't even help. [EDIT]: Not sure this is Outpost's fault.

*Barrier is also slightly annoyingly dark. Not sure about it yet. [EDIT]: Not sure this is Barrier's fault.

*Deep Space Arena has terrible spawns, core gameplay is on the top, map is kinda plain, 'eh.

*Isle I could not test.

*Blizzard, The Island ("exploring adventures"), are not what I'm looking for.

*Sandpit, things can be messed up greatly by nades. Perhaps too small.
Last edited by nil on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:53 pm

No big surprise that none of my maps have been mentioned... they weren't that great anyway...
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
WilliamSub wrote:They flock with your hormones
MGM Sig