HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Dead Site
Veteran

Re: HaloMD

Post by Dead Site » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:51 am

Still on the note of icons, sorta off-topic..

Some icons still have text such as Garry's Mod, text-only icons, Adobe, Creative Suite, RuneScape, Torchlight. Just not full words. Another reason not to use the original icon is because it isn't even 512x512, let alone 256x256. I think. The one with Modzy's shield and my MD looks pretty good in the dock in my opinion. I have a bunch of crap in my dock so the icons are also smaller, too(and with that note I just cleared it out a bit), but..

Gonna try to make something out of the second spartan/MC.

Edit 1: The Spartan alone does not work that well. It only looks good in the Cover Flow Finder window view. I'm going to see if I can add the "universal Halo logo" thing below it.
Last edited by Dead Site on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=steam://friends/add/76561198023999718]Image[/url]

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:14 am

With the shield and letters idea (the shield is not mine by the way), I'd like it more if the letters were tilted backwards to align better with the shield halves, as if they were engraved on the two halves. Try an embossed font style instead of a shadow font style, and make the color a different shade of gray to match the shield more, or perhaps gilded letters, a gold color.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Dead Site
Veteran

Post by Dead Site » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am

Right, it was late and I didn't go back. Modzy's shield. I'll edit those posts. I'll experiment with that..I haven't gone to university and learned how to be a graphic designer or anything.
Not exactly a shadow font style, it is two layers of the exact same thing except they are opposite colours/tints/shades.

Made this too
I like how it looks in the dock now. [Download]

For now I'm going to be done making the icons. This looked cool though. And a version with the shield having a shadow too. But I don't want to ruin a good/important discussion with something not as important. And I like the one I made now, so, I'm satisfied for icons.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:29 am

I like it, but the Finder window list-view icon which is just the light blue halo icon is also used by the map files, so that should change.

It is also slightly odd to have two different icons with the same application name, but that's not your fault. I think the icon could reflect that it's the actual hosting program rather than the playing game. Perhaps a lightning bolt or some other kind of networking symbol would be appropriate? I like the dark colors to the spartan, though. The icons here could replace the older Halo's playable game icons. There should be a more "networking" iconic image for the networking HaloMD app.

Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Dead Site
Veteran

Post by Dead Site » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:07 am

Hm, I don't agree with networking because that's not all that it does. Sure, we can play Halo with multiplayer again, and HaloMD is the launcher and server browser, but it is just Halo. I focused on Halo. Thanks for using the icon, though. Also, many things have different icons with the same app name. Since I won't really be making any more icons for Halo Demo, you can try using Icon Composer to put the same icon in the 32x32 and 16x16 icons too. People usually look at the file name anyway. ;)

Oh yeah, opinion too. Reverse engineer the icon if you wish.

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:09 pm

@Cronos: That new icon looks much better.

On another note, I agree with Sparky that we should not include Halo Full maps, as I feel that would be infringing on any right we may have to release this thing as a remake of the free, non-commercialized Halo Demo application.
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
WilliamSub wrote:They flock with your hormones
MGM Sig

Samuco_

Post by Samuco_ » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:08 pm

Kayar wrote:@Cronos: That new icon looks much better.

On another note, I agree with Sparky that we should not include Halo Full maps, as I feel that would be infringing on any right we may have to release this thing as a remake of the free, non-commercialized Halo Demo application.
Aren't the maps just located inside application support? People can just download them and drag them to the maps folder.

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:22 pm

Can I please have a link to HaloMD? Since Mono is blocking my IP for no reason it's not letting me open the download link. So can I please have an actual URL that I can copy/paste into my browser?
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Samuco_ wrote:
Kayar wrote:@Cronos: That new icon looks much better.

Aren't the maps just located inside application support? People can just download them and drag them to the maps folder.
That was my point. To summarize, it's probably a worthwhile idea to keep in mind the differences between players and modders.
Vegerot wrote:Can I please have a link to HaloMD? Since Mono is blocking my IP for no reason it's not letting me open the download link. So can I please have an actual URL that I can copy/paste into my browser?
See the first post.
http://nilftp.halodemomods.com/HaloMD.zip

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Yeah, I read it in the first post, but it wouldn't let me click it because of my proxy.
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

Dead Site
Veteran

Post by Dead Site » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:25 pm

There's no way I'm creating another download/mirroring/reuploading it, but maybe this perfectly legal authorized alternate link might work.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Alright. I'm not going to include other full version maps except for bloodgulch. But I'm also not going to make any change (eg, shifting map header or having only one multiplayer slot), which can and will be reverse engineered by someone.

Demo players did play full version maps; all they had to do was convert them.

If you own the full version maps (there's no way to tell if you actually got it legitimately or not by the way), you can put the maps in. If you know how to, you're already above the "normal" player.

I still think we should replace some slots with our own demo maps.

Modzy mentioned to me the idea of having HaloMD editing ui.map and the executable depending on what Halo maps are installed. This may work nicely. There'd be limited number of slots (20?).

@Cronos: The idea of the master chief icon isn't too bad, although the blue ring is a little pixelated.
Last edited by nil on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:33 pm

Cronos Dage wrote:There's no way I'm creating another download/mirroring/reuploading it, but maybe this perfectly legal authorized alternate link might work.
nooo, I just needed the URL to copy/paste it into my browser! That's all.

Dead Site
Veteran

Post by Dead Site » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:54 pm

nil wrote: @Cronos: The idea of the master chief icon isn't too bad, although the blue ring is a little pixelated.
The blue ring is only pixelated for the 512x512 image size and ignorable in the 256x256. There does not appear to be any vectors out there for the ring. I have Adobe Illustrator CS4 but I have no comprehension on using it.

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Me neither. Also, Cronos, I like that avatar better.