Map Ideas

Everything about GhRD and its mods.
Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Map Ideas

Post by Monoman » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:55 pm

I'm looking for some ideas for the castle map. For example new starting inserts for coop (which I have already done). I'm thinking of maybe doing a new mission. I just need some ideas of what the mission objectives should be.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Sephiroth Clock
Veteran

Post by Sephiroth Clock » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:18 pm

1. Find a car for Sephy.
2. Give the car to Sephy.
3. Survive for at least 10 minutes as Sephy chases you down in the car.

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:19 am

The find the car part my actually be possible in full and maybe the demo.

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Hardedge
Veteran

Post by Hardedge » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:16 pm

lol, dats a pretty cool idea

Sephiroth Clock
Veteran

Post by Sephiroth Clock » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:02 pm

i wonder if it would be possible to mod the game a bit so human players could drive cars too... that would pwn

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:23 pm

You could mod it to ride in one since you can ride in helicopters but you couldn't drive it.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

[BIG] Ranger
Operative

What I'd like to see in the Gemo...

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:59 am

...The are several things I would love to have tried out on the castle map - but really (not being a coder) I don't know what's possible. I will list my ideas anyway, but if they are stupid, please understand that I don't know what the limits are:

1) Open up restricted areas: Has anyone else always wanted to be able to get down the hill? (You know, where that tree is blocking the path down at the start point?)...I always find it frustrating that I can see another house down in the valley but can't get down there. Now that would open up Assasinate the General wouldn't it! LOL

2) 'Keep the Keep' - Each player or team is in control of one of the towers (rather like command and conquer). The other team must take your tower without losing theirs.

3) 'Keep the Keep II' (Co-Op version) - Here you spawn in a tower, with the Russians outside the castle. They will assault your tower, entering the castle either through a randomly selected gate, OR multiple gates. You must stand and fight to maintain control of your tower.

4) 'Minefield' - The open ground in the centre of the castle, and outside the castle, is mined. You and your team must traverse the castle using only the walls, in this way you must eliminate the other team (or Russians, in a Co-Op).

5) 'Protection Racket' - Your team has captured a wanted Serbian General - And the Serbs want him back! You start at the spawn point and must get your team and the captive into the safty of the castle (one of the houses). The castle is lightly guarded...But reinforcements are on the way! Once you have the General inside the designated hiding place then the fun begins...A large scale assault by Serbian troops to re-capture their General. If you hold off the assault for a specified time (imanagining that there would be some sort of helicopter pick up) then you win. Serbia troops spawn is unlimited - so use that ammo wisely!

6) 'General Alert' - You and your team are part of the Russian garrison holding the Castle...You must stave off the assault of the opposing team. To make matters difficult one of your team is General...And he must not be killed in the assault!

7) 'Jail Break' - Your team is being held in one of the houses. You must break OUT of the castle to get to a pick up point within a certain time. (The game starts after you have over-powered the guards and stolen their weapons)...Russian troops line the walls and patrol inside and out.

8) 'Traitor' - You must take the castle BUT one of your team is a traitor, he can kill other team members WITHOUT the friendly fire alert telling team members that they are being killed by their own man! The traitor should 'pick off' team members carefully in order to gurad their identity...Should the team wise up and kill the traitor, they must still take the castle to win. The traitor wins if he can eliminate all the team - or if the castle defenders win.

9) 'Double Agent' - similar to 'Traitor' but this is for team play, and there is a traitor in both teams! - Will you guess who the traitor is before it's too late? (Maybe there should be a rule that if you have too many 'friendly kills' - in attempting to kill the treaitor - then you should also loose.)

10) 'Capture the Flag' - Yes I know, this is old...But it would be nice to play this kind of game in the demo. Two flags, two bases...You must capture the enemies flag (touch it or pass over it)...The player who does becomes the flag man and he must be killed to return the flag. The winner is the team that retains the enemy flag to the end of a specified time.[/b]

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What I'd like to see in the Gemo...

Post by Monoman » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:37 pm

I will start from the top.

1. The restricted areas could be opened up that only with the program that was used to make the map. The program is only for the Windows and expensive, so I cannot do it but it can be done. In the full version of the game there is another version of the castle map with those areas opened but the towers closed up. If only the demo would recognize full version maps.

2. This is possible to do and I can do it. All it involves is changing the bases to the towers and then playing command and conquer.

3. This is also possible. This would be done by changing the insert to castles and placing the rebels outside the castle.

4. I do know that someone is working on this exact thing. A mission where you must retrieve an item by going through a minefield then get out of the minefield and get the extraction area.

5. This is possible. This would be a mission and not a gametype. There are a few missions similar to this in the full.

6. I am assuming this is suppose to be a mission and not just Assassination. This might be possible. I think it would be setup in the same way when you need demo experts and if they die its over.

7. This would be setup like recon except you would start in a house. You wouldn't be able to steal the guards weapons but you could start out with pistols.

8. This I do not think is possible. Since there is no way to make the traitor unknown to the team, either you could tell the traitor by placeing your ret over him or when he killed someone it would say player1 killed player2.

9. The same reasons as above.

10. This one has been done for the full version. This would not be a server-side gametype since everyone would need the flags. I will try to convert this one to demo.

Alot of good ideas and so little time. I will try to do some of these.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:45 am

Wow...Thanks for teh kind words. Sorry I put so many ideas - this was only because I thought I would have a lot of bad ones so was hedgng my bets...

Shame about the 'Traitor' idea - this just happened to be teh one idea, when I mentioned it round my office, that everyone went 'wow, I'd like that!'...I think this is mainly because it would legitamise 'friendly fire' - something my office team mates excel at already! LOL

One thing - on 'Jail Break', I should have said that it would be a 'given' assumption that the team starts out with stolen guns (Russian arms only)...You would just have to 'pretend' they over-came the guards (...would it be possible to have a couple of dead Russian bodies lying about?). And this is when the game would start (so they already had a AK47 each).

Thanks for responding...Like you I find it a great pity that additional maps are not easily converted for use with the demo. But congradulations on the fantastic job you did on the 'Dust' castle.

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:49 pm

I am sure you could have dead bodies on the start for Jail Break. It seems that I remember some mod for the full have a mission or gametype where you have to rescue a team mates and only the rescuer gets a gun. I can't remember what mod it was but it might be possible to convert it. Now to try to remember what mod it was. [:)

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:25 am

At our suggestion Monoman I had a go at Frostbite...

Wow...Excellent mod/conversion...

One play format I liked and though would be great on GRD was the 'DEFEND' format...

I like the idea of attempting to repell a full out assault inside the Castle map. Maybe the game would start with you (and your team in a Co-op game) inside one of the houses.

I like the idea of holding off a mass attack by shooting out the windos...Bit 'wild west' eh?

:)

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:54 am

I don't remember if Defend works on the demo. You could test it by adding the gametype to your mission folder for the demo.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Mongrel

Mod ideas/"Traitor," in particular

Post by Mongrel » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:37 pm

Hey Monoman, Ranger.

I just stumbled across this forum. Very cool. I am thrilled that I am not the only sick bast*** who would think of the traitor variant on the game. In fact, I came up with the same idea last week.

Two teams of four and me as an Observer. I picked the traitor on each team and Private Messaged him/her BEFORE hitting "start." so only they knew that they were the traitor. Then I had to hand-assign the teams to be sure that there was one traitor on each team.

It really didn't matter that the other teams' members knew that there was friendly fire going on, b/c it takes a couple of assassinations before the whole team can actually figure it out. And with the rest of the opposing team ALSO trying to take them out, the stress level keeps it REALLLLLY interesting.

In fact, I think I enjoyed being an observer more than I would have enjoyed playing. The Gamers playing seemed to LOVE it. Froggy and AznSnipa, I think, were the traitors.

If it could be automated, then the script would just write the text, "YOU ARE THE TRAITOR!" on the screen in much the same way that Assassination writes, "You are the general. Hide!"

As I said, it CAN be done without a mod, but it was a pain in the butt to run it. I'm with Ranger. I think this mod would be wildly popular!

Mongrel
-- "My kingdom for a Humvee."

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:04 am

I know that a few months ago I read about someone making a similar gametype. I would think it is probably done by now. I just have to remember what site I read that from. :wink:

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Mongrel

If you do remember..

Post by Mongrel » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:02 pm

I'd love to see how they set it up. Let me know if you find it

thanks for everyting!!\

Mongrel
-- "My kingdom for a Humvee."