SOG Reticle MOD

Special Operations Group

Moderator: Vir2L™

Vir2L™
Ranger

SOG Reticle MOD

Post by Vir2L™ » Wed May 11, 2005 1:11 pm

I'm in the process at my first attempt at modding. The mod will be for personal/squad use only.

The mod will remove the stock weapon reticles and replace them with new and improved ones.

Big thanks to ingeloop for letting me use his awesome reticles he created.

The look I'm going for is similar to Alpha Squads style, with no pips on the assault rifles. The Sniper rifles will have them tho. Oh ya, Island Thunder required.

I'm currently at version .9b and have more than half the stock weapon rets replaced. I have all the most popular weapons done, but I'm not to sure if I wanna change the less used weapons in the game. (I'm running out of reticles, heh.) Maybe just some more feeling out what ret feels best on each popular gun and finish it there.

Does anyone ever use any of these?
Support - RPK7, PKM, M60, Russian 7.62 DP, RP46, M240 G
Rifleman - 7.62mm Carbine, AN94, AK47, AK74, vz.58
Demo - Bizon 9mm, A91, 9nbsp z84, SA25

Also, if any of you have any requests, I'd be more than happy to try and accommodate your request, as long as it is in my realm of capabilities.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter."

TrueLT
Peon

Post by TrueLT » Wed May 11, 2005 4:40 pm

I liked how the Rangers v3 mod sniper rets (at least I think thats what it was) worked. The sniper mask was changed to the reticule and there were no other crosshairs or pips, the mask itself had the crosshairs and you had to be patient and figure out when the reticule had settled.
The enemy diversion you're ignoring is the main assault.

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Wed May 11, 2005 6:57 pm

I was thinking of removing the pips from the sniper rifles, but since most of them vary so much I decided to keep em in there. The assault rifles on the other hand settle alot quicker so i took em off those.

I am looking for a way to remove the yellow lines that span vertically and horizontily on the sniper rifles. I have noticed some mods have those removed, but I haven't quite figured out how to do it. I've compared .gun files that have them to those that don't and don't see a difference.

I wonder if it is a mask issue.

Doc Froyla
Peon

reticles/reticules

Post by Doc Froyla » Thu May 12, 2005 8:14 am

It's a little off-topic, but i think
it's kinda funny that the "one-eye"
system of sight is used....

when you're actually learning to shoot
you're told to keep both eyes open and concentrate
your vision on one eye or the other....but leave both open....
same thing as the microscope......with a monocular scope.

I understand how the mask works and the reasons to use
one when "scoping", and i'm not suggesting any changes....
but realism would have a circle of high powered zoom 60 degrees
to the right within an entire field of vision.......most times
i'm killed by ai is when i'm all zoomy and accurate while
another bloke out of field of vision (FOV) picks ya off.

I like the psm4....rock solid and visible on most maps....
and the dtd sniper sights.......but I've been looking at
sights on line and they seem to vary quite interestingly.
One mod had a different pistol sight....but i can't member which.
And the black sun red laser is a classic...so tiny and perfect.

TrueLT
Peon

Post by TrueLT » Thu May 12, 2005 11:41 am

Vir2L™ wrote:I was thinking of removing the pips from the sniper rifles, but since most of them vary so much I decided to keep em in there. The assault rifles on the other hand settle alot quicker so i took em off those.

I am looking for a way to remove the yellow lines that span vertically and horizontily on the sniper rifles. I have noticed some mods have those removed, but I haven't quite figured out how to do it. I've compared .gun files that have them to those that don't and don't see a difference.

I wonder if it is a mask issue.
Maybe try making it a different weapon class? I dunno its been a while since I've looked into any .gun files in GhR.
The enemy diversion you're ignoring is the main assault.

ZiPpo

Pips are good things

Post by ZiPpo » Thu May 12, 2005 11:58 am

Vir2L, Pips are good. I have tried about half of the weapons you opened this forum with, but do not normally use them. I also think a pink Nip Pip would keep everyone's eyes open more.

Yar! Looking forward to trying them.
DRINK DUFF. We fight to keep it free.

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Thu May 12, 2005 12:54 pm

everyone likes pink nips =P

ZiPpo

Pips are good things

Post by ZiPpo » Fri May 13, 2005 3:35 am

Vir2L, the color of the pip is something I have been thinking about. I hate the yellow pips/sights. Something in the red spectrum would be more discernable.

Wait, Pink Nip Pips! Nevermind, I already mentioned something in the red spectrum.

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Fri May 13, 2005 10:50 am

U can change the color of the stock reticule (and pips) to any color you desire in the options.xml in the Ghost Recon - Desert Siege/Ghost Recon Data Folder. Just open the file using TextEdit and voila.

If you want a red reticle than just change the following in the options.xml to:

<ReticuleColorR>255</ReticuleColorR>
<ReticuleColorG>0</ReticuleColorG>
<ReticuleColorB>0</ReticuleColorB>

...... or whatever RGB color code u desire.

Red goes quite well with some of these new Reticles too.

ZiPpo

Pippage

Post by ZiPpo » Fri May 13, 2005 12:47 pm

Thanks, Vir2L. I knew you would know! Appreciate it, and see ya soon on GR.

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Sat May 14, 2005 6:20 pm

So to the people that i sent it to, what do you think?

I can also do weapon tweaks (zoom, stability, add stopping power, etc) so if you want anything special done, let me know. As long as it is in the lines of realism.

SiP
Peon

Post by SiP » Sat May 14, 2005 7:09 pm

Overall, I do like it. All the little gadgets and stuff for some of the weapons look cool. The zoom on the AT is a nice touch. The new ret you put on some of the support weapons (crosshairs with many red dots) are definitely something new to me - unique, but still ok. What I like the best is the new one for the OICW - I think having a reticule that doesn't cover the exact point of bullet impact is the best way to go! I have similar feelings for the new reticules that have a hollow red circle in the middle. However, the new OICW ret put on all the weapons, in my opinion, would be ideal.

However, here my constructive criticism:

Binoculars:
-They obviously don't need improvement, but something new with another look would be cool.

Sniper Kits:
-For most all of them (except the 7.62mm PSG-1), I found it sort of difficult to see the pips converging in on the bullet impact zone/point. Too are too small, too transparent, and/or not of a color choice that has a great enough intensity to strongly set them apart from everything else in one's FOV. From the posts above, I see that the color modification is something that basically anyone can to. I think I may try a really opaque neon green color. As for pip size, making the outside end of each pip (the end that is furthest from the point of bullet impact) larger would help greatly in making them more visible.

Rifleman Kits:
-The upside-down triangle in the new reticule for the M16 is probably my least favorite. In fact, any ret for that matter that possesses a single triangle in the center just doesn't have that feel of precise aiming.

Demo Kits:
-If the AT can have zoom, could the GL's also have a little?
Yah sure ya betcha!!
ImageImage

SiP
Peon

Post by SiP » Sat May 14, 2005 7:46 pm

Almost forgot!!!

I liked the new GL reticule so much that I decided to test its trajectory compatibility. I found that the first dove tails from the bottom are lined up with a target, the distance to impact is exactly 100 meters. The second from the bottom is 50 meters and the third from the bottom is 25 meters. The two top dove tails seemed sort of meaningless to test due to the fact that the round is impacting at a distance of less than 25 meters.

Constructive Criticism:
-Extend the scale downward to accomodate distances that are further than 100 meters and add nurmerical distance values next to each dove tail that correspond to each dove tail's distance to impact. My guess is that as the scale is extended, the dove tails will have to be placed closer and closer to one another to compansate for the fact that the distance doubles for each downwardly-added dovetail. First, I'd just expand the scale with the current dove tail distance imcrements. Then, I'd suggess adding sub dove tails between each of the primary dove tails to allow for great ease in trajectory alignment. Another mod that has something similar to this is HX5 (the mortar in US Demo Expert Kit #59).
Yah sure ya betcha!!
ImageImage

ZiPpo

Reticules

Post by ZiPpo » Sun May 15, 2005 7:14 am

OK, the dove-tail idea from Sip is a good one, however, I don't know if it is doable. If anyone can do it, however, Vir2L can. I happen to really like the triangle sight. It is SPOT ON for me when using the SA80.

Could you make a set of breasts that converge into a single pink nip pip?

Yar! Of course ye can!

Great work overall, Vir2L.

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Sun May 15, 2005 12:38 pm

yar

I have no control over the actual artwork, what u see is what u get, really.

I have done some tweaks, added a level of zoom to the grenade launchers, and changed the SOPMOD sound to the MP5 SD sound.

I am looking into changing the allignment on the grenade launcher leaf so the top of it is where the nade fires to, hopefully that is possible.

I also like the triangle rets like the SA80, it's similar to the SA80 in the alpha mod, so it fits my eye quite well.