Mac Call of Duty 4 - can you play on PC game servers?

Everything about CoD, CoD 2, and their mods.
[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Mac Call of Duty 4 - can you play on PC game servers?

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Tue May 19, 2009 10:34 pm

I actually only discovered that CoD4: Modern Warfare was available on the Mac today...

I have been playing this quite a lot recently on my PC - but the idea I could play on my Mac is quite exciting (uber humiliation for my other clan members when I admit I thrashed them using a Mac!) :)

BUT - this all begs the question: Can I access normal internet CoD4 servers via teh Mac and join my PC playing friends?

Anyone know?

Thanks, Ranger

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mac Call of Duty 4 - can you play on PC game servers?

Post by Monoman » Tue May 19, 2009 11:18 pm

Yes, you should be able to play on all the PC servers. Just like how you could with the other CoD versions. You probably will not get the same frame rates you do on your PC though.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Tue May 19, 2009 11:24 pm

Monoman wrote:Yes, you should be able to play on all the PC servers. Just like how you could with the other CoD versions. You probably will not get the same frame rates you do on your PC though.
Thanks for that Monoman...

Yes, I am using a Nvidia 8800 GTS on my PC (starting to age a bit now, but still well ahead of my Mac video adapter). Still, the sheer gauling humiliation I can inflict on my clan mates when I announce I have been killing them on a Mac will compensate for the reduced graphics! Hee hee...

Plus it's just nice to be gaming on a reasonable par with PCs again - last time this was true for me was with Ghost Recon.

I'll buy CoD4 for the Mac on pay day and will post up some comparison screen shots and do a report on comparative play.

Cheers, Ranger

Comparative platform graphic details:-

Mac: ATI Radeon HD2400 (128mb)
PC: Nvidian 8800 GTS (640mb)

Ape Man

Post by Ape Man » Sun May 24, 2009 1:12 pm

Yes, you can. You just need to update to the latest version, which is 1.7.

P!ckoff
Ranger

Post by P!ckoff » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:01 pm

I still need to find a copy on CoD4 for PC so I can compare the FPS on the exact same hardware via bootcamp. The people I own over lan at school are usually surprised to hear the Mac bit too.

MBP early '08

8600m GT 256, 2.4, 4 GB running Windows 7 and 10.5. Usually get from 25-35 Fps at high, not highest specs, at (what is it?) 1152 x 720 or something?
Image Xpro + 3D texture