New Boards?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Boards?

Post by Monoman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Are there any boards (gaming or otherwise) you want added?
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Modzy
Green Beret

Re: New Boards?

Post by Modzy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:36 pm

A HaloMD board maybe.

Although we should be looking at removing boards, the forum has gotten pretty cluttered with all the boards we don't use. Or at least condense them.

Sven
SEAL

Post by Sven » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:33 pm

I'm in agreement with Modzy on clearing up / condensing some of the older boards.

Speaking of gaming, you guys should check out Kerbal Space Program. Ever since I left Minecraft this has been filling the gap. I've got a couple of moon bases, a bunch of satellites around other planets and a few space stations. It is an incredible amount of fun.
blackkyurem123123 wrote:one of the Admins asks "whaths wrong" and he repiles " someone smasmed me chests".

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:59 pm

Merge Halo and Halo Demo boards, call the board "Halo." Move it to the top of the forums, below General.
Make a HaloMD forum, or rename Halo Demo forum to HaloMD.
Consider giving Minecraft its own board, below Halo's (so General Discussion -> Halo -> Minecraft)
Archive in-active no-longer-playable or no-longer-supported games (eg: powerpc ones), or move them to Other board. Games like Raven shield, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Rogue Spear. Ghost Recon can be considered, although it still looks like a supported game.. your choice there.
Archive GR Bash and Dinner Gallery, or start doing something with them...
Make the Halo Demo group forums into subforums and place them into a "Groups" forum or something similar.

Idea is to hide what is not used, condense forums, and make more popular forums more accessible than less popular ones. There's more problems with the forums too, but these changes should give a good first start.

The main website needs work too. Things need to be removed. (Does MGM even still have a dedicated Ghost Recon server on GameRanger..?). And there needs to be a reason to visit the website.

Also, a change in forum theme would be nice too. I don't particularly like this theme.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:48 am

^I agree with everything except the theme change. This place is so familiar, I wouldn't want all the colors to change :\.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Yarok
Ranger

Post by Yarok » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:15 pm

Yeah, even if neko chan is gone this theme should stay.

I think that if there's enough communal interest in a specific game it could constitute a board of its own, but everyone seems to be playing halo or minecraft, or some other game that only two people or so play.

Forums have been kinda dry lately, at least in GD/Spam. Perhaps some kind of community playdate or something could be done, I dunno. I've given up on halo, and there's less than ten people who post with any kind of frequency in GD.
TaxiService wrote:I've got no soul
As I surreptitiously put my tallywhacker into the jet

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:27 pm

Familiarity over current theme is not a good reason to keep it. But, changing the theme would not be easy work. So won't fight for that yet.. (Although, it may be even more important to change the forum software to a better one; Monoman has done this before).

For those who don't already know, the MGM IRC chat is actually quite active. So if you want hang out, do join it.

And you guys who gave up on Halo are nubs =P. Playing it is more fun than ever before because of the modding scene that was built here. If you thought that people used to play the mods in the old demo; that is simply a joke compared to now.

[EDIT]: Monoman, why are you not in IRC? \=. Also, can you remove that browser version 1 link? It's horrible and I recall it's Flash which like doesn't even come with the OS anymore, and sucks. And it turns out the link is broken anyway.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:55 am

I am planning on moving/removing some boards which is why I was checking on any interest in new boards. I am working on a new theme although it will be very similar to the current one so shouldn't be jarring.
nil wrote:[EDIT]: Monoman, why are you not in IRC? \=. Also, can you remove that browser version 1 link? It's horrible and I recall it's Flash which like doesn't even come with the OS anymore, and sucks. And it turns out the link is broken anyway.
Power went out on me the other day and I never got around to turning the computer back on. I do plan on removing the other IRC link and just keeping the ajax/mibbit version.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Dead Site
Veteran

Post by Dead Site » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:14 pm

didn't read other replies but yes not too much change in the theme

a board for general MOBAs (DoTA, DOTA 2, LoL (which is now on OS X but I'll never ever download), HoN, Aeon of Strife, Blizzard All-Stars etc.) would be cool
[url=steam://friends/add/76561198023999718]Image[/url]

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Oh wow. It's... pretty weird like this. : | I mean, not bad in any way! I'm just... not used to this at all!
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:59 pm

I also agree with the new theme and you should do a poll, Monoman.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:53 pm

It's a good start, but I still think there's room for improvement.

But really, for those who want to bring up new games:
*Discuss them in the IRC chat
*Initiate a plan so that we can get together and play

Bonuses:
*Easily accessible (free games are more easily accessible as well as non-steam games)
*Online and moddable (who would have thought)
*Doesn't eat my hardisk space

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:51 am

I'd like a sub-forum for Skyrim modding, although this is a PC game rather than a Mac game.
I'd like a sub-forum for Objective-C and Cocoa in the Programming sub-forum, since this is a significant programming topic with lots of sub-topics.
I would also like a Tutorials sub-forum in the Programming sub-forum.

Also, can you install a syntax highlighter phpBB mod for the "code" BBCode tags?
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Dead Site
Veteran

Post by Dead Site » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 am

Sparky wrote:I'd like a sub-forum for Skyrim modding, although this is a PC game rather than a Mac game.
even though it's MacGamingMods I sorta want to start using OS X and Windows as terms more

I've accidentally trained my jimmies to get extremely rustled whenever someone says a Windows game doesn't work on Mac because I don't think of Mac as the operating system at all anymore

boot camp and shit
[url=steam://friends/add/76561198023999718]Image[/url]

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 pm

The Mac is still a platform, which largely means, OS X on Apple hardware. It's both the hardware and software. We're not having games that don't run on OS X, which is incredibly silly, and Windows of course doesn't count.