Is this the BEST time for Mac gaming EVER?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Is this the BEST time for Mac gaming EVER?

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:30 am

I am very lucky, I have a variety of gaming platforms available to me now - including a brand new Xbox 360 - but there was a time when my only games machine was an Apple Performa computer.

Apple gaming has always been completely overshadowed by it's bigger PC cousin, and although it has enjoyed a few minor successes - Marathon being my fondest memory - there was always a bit of platform envy going on as the best and newest games only came out on the PC and Mac users felt adrift in time.

Well, thanks mainly to Valve (and Steam) those days are well and truely over as top-notch games are released for Intel Macs which give us Macites near parity with our Windows cousins. While we still lag behind the gulf that used to divide the two platforms is closer than it has ever been and in some respects it is constantly closing.

Take the forthcoming much antisipated release of Counter Strike: Global Offensive. This is already on pre-order on Steam for both Windows and Apple platforms!

Right from the get go Mac and PC gamers will be able to play against each other (servers allowing) - this is nearly unheard of (I *think* the last time this happened was with Doom II in 1995?).

Moreover I may soon be in a very unique position - with the forthcoming release of Borderlands 2 (and going on the developers Mac friendliness) I might eventually find that I can play Borderlands 2 on my PC, Xbox AND Mac!

Now that would be something! (A bit geeky!) :D

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: Is this the BEST time for Mac gaming EVER?

Post by Sparky » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:11 am

With all this experience, you should be able to determine what works and what doesn't ... in bearing good fruit. Maybe go into game development and recommend some game engines to us?

Have you used Sauerbraten's game engine yet? I was discussing this with Monoman as an alternative to Halo's Blam! engine.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:26 pm

[BIG] Ranger, it is nice to see you, a person who registered at MGM around the time I did. Sephiroth Clock, hx239, FakeDave, Pie (who I actually thought was Sephiroth Clock for a time), LordLothar, Rapid... and Game™ and MadMax and Blade, though I don't know where they went, were some other gamer friends. I got to know Game™ and Blade a little more than others here in person and spoke with them about other things like graphics design and music. Blade went to college a little after I did and Game is probably going into college now.

I think in terms of age, older to younger, it's

Monoman -- I don't remember or he never told me how old he is
Sparky -- 26 like it says in my profile
Blade -- probably 23 now
MadMax -- probably 22ish
Game -- maybe 21?

But yeah, nobody else here will really understand what I'm saying. I think Al Capwn said he was in his 40s, but I don't remember him as a forum "old timer".

Many people are visitors here for a long time before they register a username. I'm the 31st registered user, profile ID 36. I didn't register immediately when Monoman and I were talking he was telling me a little about starting MGM, but I waited a while... isn't that right, Monoman? It's hard to remember 8 to 9 years ago.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:19 pm

Gaming wise it might be one of the best with what is available now. Community wise I don't think it is. So many of the older Mac games were separate from the PC side either from multiplayer, versions, or releases that I think caused a closer Mac community.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Monoman wrote:Gaming wise it might be one of the best with what is available now. Community wise I don't think it is. So many of the older Mac games were separate from the PC side either from multiplayer, versions, or releases that I think caused a closer Mac community.
I think that instead of seeing this as a downside, work with it and use it to form something better. This is not an axiomatic statement, but you seem to have in mind what we spoke about a short time ago, about blamdevcom.net.