High school programming

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Mgalekgolo
Commando

High school programming

Post by Mgalekgolo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:31 am

Hey everyone! I went to school today to apply and there are a few programming choices. C++, Basic, intro to programming, and an AP computer programming class. I signed up for C++ and computer repair but I can sign up for another, should I do the AP computer programming or wait till' I finish C++?
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: High school programming

Post by nil » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:21 pm

For programming, I say AP Computer Science. It should be Java and like a 1st semester course for a compsci major in college, maybe even better (if taught well of course).
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Yarok
Ranger

Post by Yarok » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:14 pm

What does computer repair entail? Seems useless for me, but I'm just going by the title.

But yeah, what nil said. Basic you don't need taught, and intro to programming is whatever (probably java).
TaxiService wrote:I've got no soul
As I surreptitiously put my tallywhacker into the jet

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm

I'm learning Java at the moment with school (all .class based applets) It's not overly exciting, but it's an interesting course.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:34 pm

I wish my school offered java, that's the only programming experience I have. And you guys don't think the AP will be too hard? My memory's not too great...

Ranger

Post by 002 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:40 am

You want an extra A?

My school only offers HTML classes (lame) unfortunately.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:10 am

I took HTML in 8th grade. Alright, i'll sign up for the AP class and see what happens.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:12 am

Mgalekgolo wrote:I wish my school offered java, that's the only programming experience I have. And you guys don't think the AP will be too hard? My memory's not too great...
Uh, it may be really hard, but that is kind of the point, for it to be rewarding : ). It's an AP course, after all.

The course should emphasize more on computer science rather than "Java". And it will be taught in Java since that is what the curriculum for AP does.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Ranger

Post by 002 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:32 pm

log.info("Indeed.");

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Well i'm sure i'll enjoy it, i'm just hoping they don't expect any experience, as I have very little.

Sven
SEAL

Post by Sven » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:51 pm

Hey, good for you, man. I'm terrible at any form of programming :L
blackkyurem123123 wrote:one of the Admins asks "whaths wrong" and he repiles " someone smasmed me chests".

Ranger

Post by 002 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:39 pm

When I was new to this field, I said the same thing. It's a big thing, and you kind of have to know a language to learn another.

C# is easy if you know enough Java, as are many other languages like Objective C, and vice versa. Java got easy after my first few Bukkit plugins.

There are some languages that suit beginners, like AppleScript. AppleScript more for macros of preprogrammed functions and stuff, but it can help with making a makeshift GUI for shell scripts.

I haven't tried RealBasic, but I heard that it should be avoided for its price.

If you are wanting to learn a language, do objc or Java. They may be intimidating, and the word "error" will be a common term, but if you try your best, you will catch your mistakes and learn something that might be fun, probably never to return to modding.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Arrggghh.. Avoid applescript! Avoid!

You're not really missing much from realbasic...

For beginners and experienced programmers, I like to recommend Python or Ruby. But Java is okay to start out with. Computer science is not really all that much about programming, but it helps a lot.

Other programming languages exist that have completely different paradigms than the ones listed.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:58 am

What is the function of D? I remember hearing of it but never for anything important.

Sven
SEAL

Post by Sven » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:03 am

002 wrote:When I was new to this field, I said the same thing. It's a big thing, and you kind of have to know a language to learn another.

C# is easy if you know enough Java, as are many other languages like Objective C, and vice versa. Java got easy after my first few Bukkit plugins.

There are some languages that suit beginners, like AppleScript. AppleScript more for macros of preprogrammed functions and stuff, but it can help with making a makeshift GUI for shell scripts.

I haven't tried RealBasic, but I heard that it should be avoided for its price.

If you are wanting to learn a language, do objc or Java. They may be intimidating, and the word "error" will be a common term, but if you try your best, you will catch your mistakes and learn something that might be fun, probably never to return to modding.
bumping but yeah.

Thanks for the advice. I'm probably going to master Python then move onto something a tad more complicated. Maybe Java or C.
blackkyurem123123 wrote:one of the Admins asks "whaths wrong" and he repiles " someone smasmed me chests".