At last - the Ghosr Recon we deserve, Operation Flashpoint 2

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
[BIG] Ranger
Operative

At last - the Ghosr Recon we deserve, Operation Flashpoint 2

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:21 am

Sorry - I know that this is a little subjective AND it's about a PC game - but as fans of the original 'Classic' Ghost Recon I suppose we always wanted just an updated version of the original (while GRAW and GRAW2 were all very nice they lacked something)...

Well, yesterday I received my copy of Codemaster's Operation Flashpoint 2 and I had my first games last night. All I can say is that this game is the Ghost Recon we deserve - it really does have all teh feel and spirit of the original GhR game - except it has superb graphics and a proper first person weapon view of course!

You may say that I'm just twittering on, but I really do feel that OFP2 has the atmosphere and intensity that Classic Ghost Recon had (even the dull weather and grey skies reminded me of those wonderful days spent playing in Vilnius)!

Dunno if any of you also have a PC too - but if so give OFP2 a whirl and see if you think the same as I do!

Ranger

Kiyoshi
Commando

Re: At last - the Ghosr Recon we deserve, Operation Flashpoint 2

Post by Kiyoshi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:43 am

O.O...whoa...

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:52 am

The first Operation Flashpoint was very similar to Ghost Recon. Almost a extension of it as the some of the files would work with Ghost Recon. Looks like Codemaster decided to stick with what the fans liked about the game instead going arcade style like Ubisoft.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:14 am

...I just played my first online multiplayer co-op game of Operation Flashpoint 2. Absolutely excellent - Classic Ghost Recon!

We had to knock out some SAM and Radar installations and the action was good, and was a night Op so good old green NV! :) - Put me in mind of that night Op map in Ghost Recon with teh castle and the mobile SAMs you had to destroy (forgot the name of it).

The more I play this game the more I am taken back to the days playing GhR on GameRanger. Really enjoying this.

Above: My AI squad in a single player co-op mission (I have a nice M14 marksman rifle - good old 7.62mm!)

- Mind you, the game's multiplayer server browser sucks just a little (still not as bad as ArmA2's one though). It doesn't seem to allow you to save favourite servers or enter an IP address or host name if you know it. Still - I'm sure the community will be quick to point this out. Another niggle I have is that I can't seem to locate an in-game voice comms system. No biggy when I play with friends - we all use Ventrilo - but if you are on a public server and want to talk to your squad members it's a bit of a pain.

I've only seen rural maps so far - everything is in hilly wooded countryside, no urban map as yet. But I am only a small way into the campaign as yet.

Looks like Codemasters really has got back to the basics that made the original OFP so very popular.

Mota-Lev
Green Beret

Post by Mota-Lev » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:31 pm

That looks sweet I'll look that game up when i get my pc.
Stupid tinypic removing my images

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:44 pm

Eh, never really liked the whole "You get shot once, you're fucked" aspect of the GR games...

Kiyoshi
Commando

Post by Kiyoshi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:44 pm

o_O to me that's what made them awesome. It's just like real life. more or less

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:48 pm

WHAT

I COULD RUN INTO A M61 VULCAN TURRET AT HIGH VELOCITY AND NOT EVEN FLINCH YOU TOOL GTFO

Meh, I guess it makes sense, but really. It's like being the enemy in COD4 on easy, where if they get hit once they double over and totally get in a raping position.

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:20 pm

How is the stealth aspect of the game in coop? Do the enemies come running if you use a gun without a silencer?
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig