Would it be hard to create a new sparkedit?

Everything related to programming.

How do you feel about the idea of a OSX-native all-in-one scnr editing tool?

I think it'd be an useful addition to my editors collection.
67%
I'm okay with this.
No votes
I don't really care.
No votes
I don't think we need such a tool because of the already existing alternatives.
No votes
I think the use of this tool won't justify all the work necessary to create it.
No votes
I don't think we will use this tool anyway because modding is dead.
No votes
Other. (please specify..? idk what other options to add!)
33%

Total votes: 3

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Would it be hard to create a new sparkedit?

Post by TaxiService » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:14 am

I had this idea today. (or some other day? let's just say I had this idea recently)

I would want to create a new sparkedit-kind of application that, other than letting you to move, duplicate and delete scen's from the scnr, would also allow you to do the same for any other scnr element. It should also allow you to add tags into the scnr; like machines and whatnot.

Adding a tag palette to a scenario requires the map to be rebuilt though, right? So a rebuilding mechanism should also be programmed into the scnr editor.

…yeah, how hard would all of this be? Would there be a best programming language to program such an app? Could I use eschaton's source code as a base for creating this thing? (if it's public..? i don't recall)

I mean, i am speaking hypothetically. Right now i don't even have the time to whine about how little time i have. :(
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: Would it be hard to create a new sparkedit?

Post by Sparky » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:50 pm

Zeus can do that when I'm done with it.
You'd be referring to adding chunks to the scnr metadata. The current issues we have are simply that our tools do not respect the engine limits for these things. For example, maps become potentially corrupted by adding too many netgame flags (teleporter points), but you don't see this as an issue anywhere since the engine can handle it. Some limitations could have been artificially imposed by the HEK though.

Modifying Eschaton is a pain in the royal crotch. Ask Modzy if you don't believe me ;)
Besides, RealBasic is lame; Obj-C would be the language in which to develop such a program, and I'll probably either do Zeus in php to make it cross-platform or convert it to windows using Cocotron which Samuco suggested.

I know you guys are all tired of waiting for it, but... I just keep adding more tasks to my plate all the time. It's about time to swing around to it again though, and do a little more studying on Obj-C. I'm still learning how to properly manage my time.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:42 am

Dude making a Decent Fully featured and functional program by anything other than realbasic is fucking time consuming, frustrating and downright difficult.

Take your fucking time.
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:49 am

Fonzie wrote:Dude making a Decent Fully featured and functional program by anything other than realbasic is fucking time consuming, frustrating and downright difficult.

Take your fucking time.
There's a huge difference between "making a decently fully featured and functional program" and "learning curve difficulty of an API", 'cos I bet anything RealBASIC is just easier for a newbie whilst Cocoa allows for much more rapid development. Not like RealBASIC is a real option, 'cos people who use it for fully featured apps can't make proper ones that behave correctly.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:32 pm

nil wrote:
Fonzie wrote:Dude making a Decent Fully featured and functional program by anything other than realbasic is fucking time consuming, frustrating and downright difficult.

Take your fucking time.
There's a huge difference between "making a decently fully featured and functional program" and "learning curve difficulty of an API", 'cos I bet anything RealBASIC is just easier for a newbie whilst Cocoa allows for much more rapid development. Not like RealBASIC is a real option, 'cos people who use it for fully featured apps can't make proper ones that behave correctly.
That's a shame, but I guess I'm sticking with php and Obj-C/Cocoa as my options. But I'm not here to usurp this topic, that's just my point of view.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.