Questions

Everything about Minecraft.
draconic74
Green Beret

Questions

Post by draconic74 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:14 pm

Here are a few questions regarding Minecraft, and I guess depending on the answers I'll figure something out. I know, real vague comment there. Anyway, here goes:

Er... Just use a scale of 1-10 I guess. I didn't really think this through very well. I suppose you could give explanation to go with the scale if you want.

1) How much do you like building things for aesthetics? (making nice looking structures, buildings, etc)
2) How about building for functionality? (efficient space, minecart/boats transport, redstone)
3) How good are you with redstone?
4) Thoughts on traps in Minecraft?
5) Thoughts on puzzles in Minecraft?
6) Can you write a story/lore/etc? Would you?

Answer this one without the scale I guess:
7) What do you most like doing in Minecraft (building/adventuring/exploring/redstone/rpg/something else)? And would you play Creative or Survival in order to do this? (In other words: I don't want to bother with picks VS I like mining for my resources/landscaping)

You may see where I'm going with this, but I would just be interested in people's answers before I decide on anything else.

kiddten
Commando

Re: Questions

Post by kiddten » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:28 pm

1) about 7/8. I'm a shitty designer but I try to make stuff look unique.
2) 3. It usually doesn't need anything fancy, some doors and perhaps hidden chests.
3) 3. I can build basic circuts, but I also haven't really looked much at it.
4) 7. They're awesome if they can work on players.
5) 8. I've played through puzzle maps, they are always quite fun.
6) 1. I'm horrible with the english language.
7) I have been having fun with adventuring since 1.8 was released but before that I used to just build houses. Materials weren't really a problem since I usually just build with wood/cobble/glass. I may have to look at stone bricks though.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Excend
Commando

Post by Excend » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:05 pm

1) 7 (What I think looks good doesn't and I'm bad at actually creating what I intend to but I normally try to build to this guideline.)
2) 8 (Aside from being space efficient, I like to use lots of space, doesn't matter how much I use as long as it's pretty.)
3) 5 (I started learning from Taxi, and he taught me a lot with our engineering products, but those died, and I didn't pick up too much.)
4) 9 (I don't know if you consider the farms I made traps, but those were sort of traps. Amy and I also made a trap for Cronus at my lava house [in which she died more times than he did]. And I had another trap at my tree house. I like 'em. And lava. I love lava.)
5) 6 (Puzzles are fun, but there's not much you can do to that effect in minecraft, I tried making a maze but it didn't work out too well and is MUCH more time consuming to make than it is to solve.)
6) 3 (Get Kayar, he wrote my epic. I don't see how this ties in though.)
7) All of the above. Survival only. Creative is kind of boring in my opinion.
TaxiService wrote:Roses are red
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.

Yarok
Ranger

Post by Yarok » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:05 pm

1)7 I like to build things big and geometric. Layout is what I like to do
2)8 If necessary, I can do it well. Almost never need to though
3)2-3 Never needed to
4)4 Eh, if done well I suppose
5)6 Have yet to, but I'd be interested
6)6-7 If motivated, yes. I 'd never start, though
7) Building and RPG, especially in SMP. I like to play creative for building in scale or collaboration, so I don't have limits and can easily collaborate. Plus I can build silly things without worrying about resources.
TaxiService wrote:I've got no soul
As I surreptitiously put my tallywhacker into the jet

draconic74
Green Beret

Post by draconic74 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:17 pm

Ok, this looks good. Although I probably should have asked that one question I just thought up, but that can come up later.

I should get back to studying, I'll check back in tomorrow after class. Got two tests tomorrow in the classes that I suck at. It's gonna be a long day...

Oh, by the way. I just realized there is only about two weeks until we can stop bothering with 1.8 or pre-releases and finally update to the proper game.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:55 am

1) 8! I like aesthetics!
2) 8! I like functionality!
3) 5.5! I understand how it works and know how to use it.
4) 6. I guess they can be cool.
5) 7! They'd be interesting.
6) 3! No! I am not good with that sort of thing.
7) Oh, i am fine with both. The best thing would be being able to switch modes and decide whenever to use which.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Mota-Lev
Green Beret

Post by Mota-Lev » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:46 pm

1) 10 i guess.... I've always been to lazy though to collect the blocks required.. or make the insides of my buildings complete.
2) 8 space I'm good at the other not my concern
3) 4 Alright :/ could be better.. a lot better
4) 1 Not my concern
5) 1 Not my concern
6) 1 Not my concern
7) 10 Building*.. Only part of the game I like and I use survival mainly cause developing the land is part of the fun. and gathering blocks.. to a degree anyway.
Last edited by Mota-Lev on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stupid tinypic removing my images

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:06 pm

1. 10
2. 10
3. 7
4. 10
5. 10
6. 10
7. What do I like doing most in Minecraft? Well... before I got Alpha, I used to play Creative/Classic for free. My first world was left untouched aside from a single house I built hidden away in the corner of the map, which I designed to have as decorative and comfortable an interior as I could at the time. The rest of that world I explored from top to bottom. In my second world, I decided that I would create a civilization. I built towers, ruins of an ancient city, created separate districts and areas, each with a reason for being there, each shaped around the existing terrain but never destroying the existing terrain, always coexisting with it, just as we humans do our best to coexist with our world. Of course, we never do a very good job of this. In one corner of what I began to call The Empire I built the Wizard's Tower, shaping it from a mountain... then adding to it until it touched the map ceiling. I dug out the inside to the bottom of the map, and the top floor was made of gold. My creation was human. It aspired to the skies, to the land of the gods. This was only the beginning. My next world I never finished, but my goal was to blot out the sky itself. I jump-built up to the sky and placed stone in a growing plane above the land, stopping the light from shining through and preventing the grass of that land to grow. It was a massive project, and I never finished.

I no longer play creative, and I do not play Beta with any mods installed. The thing I like most about Minecraft is that it challenges us to build and aspire to godlike status, which, incidentally, is what I believe to be the basic human condition. Minecraft never truly allows you to reach that point, however. You may become powerful, you may find yourself feeling immortal after killing enemy mob after enemy mob. You may feel that you have creation in the palm of your hand, that you can build anything, that your rule is law. But Minecraft Beta is not creative mode. You are not god. When push comes to shove, you die in lava like anyone else, you make mistakes, you do not have infinite resources, you cannot place bedrock, you are not omniscient, you did not create the world nor do you know everything about it, you are human. That is what I like most about Minecraft: You can create anything, but it is a challenge to do so, it is not as simple as just placing the blocks. You can build a world, build a civilization. But the creepers can come, the lightning can come, the endermen can come, and they will, and when they do, you know that all things must end one day. It makes me wonder how powerful the overworld dragons will be...
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
WilliamSub wrote:They flock with your hormones
MGM Sig

Yarok
Ranger

Post by Yarok » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:57 pm

Oh, look at the guy with all the 10's. Don't get so penisey.
TaxiService wrote:I've got no soul
As I surreptitiously put my tallywhacker into the jet

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:32 pm

White Knightmare wrote: Amy and I also made a trap for Cronus at my lava house [in which she died more times than he did].
I smiled, then frowned.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:40 pm

Yarok wrote:Oh, look at the guy with all the 10's. Don't get so penisey.
The questions were about how much we valued certain aspects of Minecraft. They had nothing to do with what we considered as being our skill in the game.
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
MGM Sig

Excend
Commando

Post by Excend » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:34 am

Aside from number 3, which kayar did not say 10 for. He did say higher than Taxi, and I suppose maybe this is true now? O.o But Taxi did go way too low on the redstone question for some reason.
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:18 am

I am worse than Taxi at redstone. I did not read what Taxi put, and chose 7 as a midpoint between 5 and 10, since I considered anything below 5 as being "I don't really know how to use redstone" and everything above 5 as getting progressively better with redstone, 5 being "I KAN HAZ OPENING DOORS WITH TEH REDSTONEZ," 6 being "Look at me, I made a thing that does something!" and 7 being "I can make a doorbell, a door and elevator with pistons, and can work with note blocks pretty well." 8 would be better than this, making more complex things, 9 would be at the level of Mozart with note blocks, and 10 would be "I created your entire universe using a redstone computer and some duct tape."
~Kayar~
MGM Sig

draconic74
Green Beret

Post by draconic74 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:08 pm

Ok, so if I were to hazard a guess, we have a bunch of people who seem to enjoy building for looks, as well as functionality (thats sort of what I meant for Q2), wide array of redstone ability, sort of half and half on traps and puzzles, storytelling is just for a select few, and half and half on creative vs survival, and Kayar went all existential on us.

Also, from what I heard, the Enderdragons will destroy any blocks they fly through when they chase you. The exceptions are End Stone and Obsidian, which is all that exists in The End. The wiki says it drops 1 Obsidian when it dies, which makes it seem like all that fight is worthless until you see the XP drop.

Excend
Commando

Post by Excend » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:52 pm

Woah! Enderdragons? What? It's like a completely new game.
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.