Eschaton 0.8.2 Release

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
Modzy
Green Beret

Re: Eschaton 0.8.1 Release

Post by Modzy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:40 pm

Altimit01 wrote:TagID is meaningless for a lot of uses. Especially when you use duplicated tags or import them from external sources. The basis of the map itself is compiling unique files that exist in a file system on the computer that created them. Hence the folders and all the rest. If anything it'd be better to just use some sort of hash value while also keeping track of all values so that identical tags produce new unique values. TagIDs are a crutch that only make sense within a compiled file.
The "TagID" doesn't have to be from the map file. Unique values based on how many tags there are currently loaded would work just fine. Although I'm sure you just said something along those lines, anyway.

Altimit01
Eschaton Dev
Eschaton Dev

Post by Altimit01 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:36 pm

Well the dictionaries that rely on class:name are local to each map file where there should be unique tag names. The fact that Halo can run with non-unique names for tags of the same class is separate. Building map files requires them to be unique since that's how they are organized on the host system.

Of course the easy solution to tag protection is to simply create a unique name for each tag (or build a framework for editing files that relies on some other unique identifier).
Disclaimer: I am no longer active. Any posts, PMs or other communication I use has no guarantee of accuracy or follow up.
Download Eschaton: Mediafire

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:06 pm

You and your silly style of tag organization. Pearl stores tags based entirely on an ID system; any info like names, classes, etc. can be accessed through simple calls I've created.
This allows Pearl to handle both duplicate tags and protected maps very easily, because it only uses names for the index of the rebuilt map. Even my internalized bitmaps and sounds have their own types of IDs.

Altimit01
Eschaton Dev
Eschaton Dev

Post by Altimit01 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:55 am

Because Eschaton is an editing environment and not a simple 2-inputs-1-cup tool it uses the following hierarchy for file organization:
Windows:
-Expanded Maps:
--Tags within expanded map
-Read/Write Maps:
--Tags within r/w map
-Extracted Tags:
--Tags within extracted tag collection

In each case, tags are always organized into logical blocks. This comes from the fact that the main focus is editing map files (as a whole) that happen to contain tags. When you're doing a simple job you can play fast and loose with organization. Not so much with a more open ended design. Especially when transferring tags between these files (as with an import and export) it becomes more manageable to keep individual relations local. There's also the consideration of what happens when you work with external tags. Without a unique name you end up having to create one anyways if you want to represent the tags naturally on the file system.

Yes I am aware there is a modifiable version of the above. Keep on large collection of tags external to everything and have local collections of pointers to that tag collection. Maybe next time I rewrite the engine I'll do something like that. Or I might just switch focus from maps to tags.
Disclaimer: I am no longer active. Any posts, PMs or other communication I use has no guarantee of accuracy or follow up.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Altimit01 wrote:Because Eschaton is an editing environment and not a simple 2-inputs-1-cup tool

LOLZ@!

yeah.. uh not to be offtopic:

Eschaton 8.1 fixes what.....
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Altimit01
Eschaton Dev
Eschaton Dev

Post by Altimit01 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:25 am

Problems with certain import options, dependency swapper in expanded mode dying and bsp replacement problems.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:47 am

gotcha.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:11 pm

Altimit01 wrote:2-inputs-1-cup
Your awesome, you know that?
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm

deadly vision
Veteran

Post by deadly vision » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:41 am

you are!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:35 am

This is related and a bug issue in one:
  • I want to create multiple instances of a single tag (like creating many itmc tags), so I expand a map and import a tag that was extracted non-recursively into memory. Now I rename each itmc tag so that it has a unique name for the weap that it references. When I change the referenced weap in each itmc tag, changing the reference in one changes the references in all the other "duplicate" itmc tags. I have to first rebuild the map and then swap the referenced weapons. Can you make it so that I can import a single tag several times and rename each of those tags and then also work with the dep swapper with each one without having the dep swapper change all the references for the other copies of that tag I imported?
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Altimit01
Eschaton Dev
Eschaton Dev

Post by Altimit01 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:24 am

That's really odd. It shouldn't be doing that. Is this d-swapping taking place in expanded mode or post rebuild? And just to be clear that's with 0.8.1 right? The update fixed some of the issues related to imports, especially multiple imports of the same tag.

Side note: this is why I sometimes hate working in high level languages. What is a distinct instance and what is simply another name for the same instance gets muddled.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:15 pm

Altimit01 wrote:That's really odd. It shouldn't be doing that. Is this d-swapping taking place in expanded mode or post rebuild? And just to be clear that's with 0.8.1 right? The update fixed some of the issues related to imports, especially multiple imports of the same tag.

Side note: this is why I sometimes hate working in high level languages. What is a distinct instance and what is simply another name for the same instance gets muddled.
green is yes, red is no
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:23 pm

Just a few small thing's that could be implemented:
The option to select all items in the import/rebuild window
Flying camera for the BSP viewer and a view reset button
The option to duplicate tags in an expanded map without exporting and importing them

Thats all for now.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:19 pm

The same thing with sparky happens to me....
MGM Sig

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:49 pm

a double post in Alts topic...lol

Well, related to the problems that happened to sparky,

1. so i expand a map
2. rename a bitmp tag
3. extract bitmap tag
4. import bitmap tag (in diff map)
5. so i change the image for one of the bitmaps, and both change....

i checked reference swapper to see if they are referenced but their not....
do i have to edit the bitmaps before i import them into the map?
MGM Sig