Halo Update series

New mod releases.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

HandofGod
Peon

Halo Update series

Post by HandofGod » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:37 pm

Hey everyone,

I know that most of the remaining active people on here know me but I wanted to share the progress of the modding project I have been working on. This is a Halo MD exclusive project and is my attempt to refresh the stock maps that came with Halo PC/Mac but make them unique (improved weapon models, textures, shaders) and better gameplay wise. I drew inspiration from Halo Anniversary primarily for the weapons but also used some weapons (and all the vehicles) from Halo 3 (Covenant ghost, banshee, shade) and Halo Reach (UNSC warthogs, scorpion). This project has been ongoing for awhile now and some of you have probably played some of the mods I have done in the past like Hangemhigher and Convict, to name just a few. I am happy to report that I have made substantial advancements in terms of the visuals of these mods and hopefully the gameplay too (although I haven't had a chance to test them with others as of today).

I have three maps that I plan on submitting soon, which are updated versions of Hang 'Em High and Sidewinder (Hangemhigher & Sunset are my versions of the maps) and a new version of Battle Creek (Dark Creek is my variant). I know that some people on here will likely say that "Oh... All that HandofGod does is rip rippity rip tags from Halo Custom Edition and doesn't do anything else." I am happy to disprove that is not all that I did. I spent hours working on the HUD for this project, creating custom weapon pickup icons, using some new environment textures I retrieved from the internet but changed to work for Halo while also ripping and organizing assets from maps/mods that Halo MD would likely never see (as they are Open Sauce Custom Edition singleplayer mods or Custom Edition mods that are above 200 MB).

My goal was to create worthy variants of the stock maps that are small in terms of size (no greater than 180 MB), visually appealing, fun gameplay wise and contain stock weapons/vehicles that are improved dramatically to meet the higher standards the Halo MD community has after the release of Bigass. I like to think of this as my gift to the Halo MD community and I want to get all 19 original multiplayer maps eventually updated like the three I am releasing soon.

Of course any feedback is welcome although ideally it will be constructive rather than just negatively slamming these mods. I admit this is likely my first and last modding project for Halo as modding is way too time consuming. I hope to have these mods on one of the dedicated servers (maybe Sparky's or atomical's) eventually.
Last edited by HandofGod on Tue May 17, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HandofGod
Peon

Re: Halo Update series

Post by HandofGod » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:15 am

Submitted the three mods to nil and 002 the other day. I tested them with Sparky too before and I noticed a few errors in testing with him that fortunately can be easily fixed by the time of the next update but were not able to be fixed before submission.

ItsMeAustin

Post by ItsMeAustin » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:25 am

HandofGod wrote:Hey everyone,

I know that most of the remaining active people on here know me but I wanted to share the progress of the modding project I have been working on. This is a Halo MD exclusive project and is my attempt to refresh the stock maps that came with Halo PC/Mac but make them unique (improved weapon models, textures, shaders) and better gameplay wise. I drew inspiration from Halo Anniversary primarily for the weapons but also used some weapons (and all the vehicles) from Halo 3 (Covenant ghost, banshee, shade) and Halo Reach (UNSC warthogs, scorpion). This project has been ongoing for awhile now and some of you have probably played some of the mods I have done in the past like Hangemhigher and Convict, to name just a few. I am happy to report that I have made substantial advancements in terms of the visuals of these mods and hopefully the gameplay too (although I haven't had a chance to test them with others as of today).

I have three maps that I plan on submitting soon, which are updated versions of Hang 'Em High and Sidewinder (Hangemhigher & Sunset are my versions of the maps) and a new version of Battle Creek (Dark Creek is my variant). I know that some people on here will likely say that "Oh... All that HandofGod does is rip rippity rip tags from Halo Custom Edition and doesn't do anything else." I am happy to disprove that is not all that I did. I spent hours working on the HUD for this project, creating custom weapon pickup icons, using some new environment textures I retrieved from the internet but changed to work for Halo while also ripping and organizing assets from maps/mods that Halo MD would likely never see (as they are Open Sauce Custom Edition singleplayer mods or Custom Edition mods that are above 200 MB).

My goal was to create worthy variants of the stock maps that are small in terms of size (no greater than 180 MB), visually appealing, fun gameplay wise and contain stock weapons/vehicles that are improved dramatically to meet the higher standards the Halo MD community has after the release of Bigass. I like to think of this as my gift to the Halo MD community and I want to get all 19 original multiplayer maps eventually updated like the three I am releasing soon.

Of course any feedback is welcome although ideally it will be constructive rather than just negatively slamming these mods. I admit this is likely my first and last modding project for Halo as modding is way too time consuming. I hope to have these mods on one of the dedicated servers (maybe Sparky's or atomical's) eventually.

Below are some screenshots:
---Sunset---
Note: trees have been changed to the ones seen in photo below...

---Hangemhigher---

---Dark Creek---
Note: old alpha version of mod with old HUD and plasma rifle
I actually like these kind of maps, last time I played on one of them however the DMR was absurdly overpowered. Might wanna do something about that.

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:58 pm

Yeah need to fix a few things. Having trouble finding the motivation to complete this project at the moment. I don't think people on Halo MD care enough if I finish this or not.

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:58 am

Downpour on the way
Last edited by HandofGod on Tue May 17, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:09 am

Halo Update versions of Infinity, Derelict and Ice Fields will also be done
Last edited by HandofGod on Tue May 17, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:17 am

Also I do want to put out an update soon as I know some people are looking forward to this! I just struggle to find the motivation to finish the project sometimes due to how modding on Mac has limitations in comparison to modding on PC. I also am frustrated by a variety of issues that always seem to pop up when I work on each map. Hopefully I will have something to show at the end of this month/beginning of May. I have also decided to not do versions of Bloodgulch, Death Island, Wizard, Chill Out as I don't have the time to find good enough textures for those maps and they have already been modded countless times on Halo MD (Bloodgulch and Death Island especially)

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Fri May 06, 2016 1:37 pm

UPDATE: So I am submitting 4 maps to nil soon... These will be redone versions of Downpour, Hydra, Sunset and Hangemhigher. Its taken me awhile to fine tune everything in the maps, which is why I've been so slow. I still need to finish up the new versions of Canopy, Outback and Convict and obviously other maps too.

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:17 pm

Weapons featured in the final Halo Update release! I am still working on it when I have the time, I promise!

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:55 pm

Screenshot of the updated version of Chillout I am working on: Image My little friends and me :wink: I used the FTW2 team's Chillout and changed their textures and scenery to make it look a little more 2016... Still need to fix up a few things but I am making progress.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:32 pm

Ah, neat! I had forgotten how visually appealing FTW was.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:47 pm

Putting this project on hold indefinitely as I don't think there are enough people who would appreciate it on here or on Custom Edition for that matter. I might release some of the map betas I did later but for now I'd like to concentrate on other things in my life and not worry myself with Halo MD and Halo Update, which I've done for the past 3 years. Halo Update might still happen but for now I'm outttttt

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Started work again on Halo Update. Will be releasing "updated" versions of Timberland, Damnation, Hang 'Em High, Sidewinder, Chill Out, Chiron TL-34, Dangercanyon and Derelict in the next few weeks hopefully. My goal is to also do a version of Bloodgulch that is updated visually and could possibly be hosted on a server like atomical's Bloodgulch Beer Garden. But it's been a pain to basically restart this project from scratch as I'm changing a lot of things from the last mods I put out to HaloMD. Textures and shaders have been tweaked/improved, changed a lot of the effects too and the vehicles/weapons will be more fun to use this time. Will share some screenshots soon guys.

UPDATE: Delayed/cancelled until further notice.. sorry guys, I just can't find the motivation to finish this right now

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:11 am

I plan on submitting the final version mods for this project soon. If anyone cares they'll be given to nil soon. Time for me to move on from these mods. Its been fun but they're also a pain in the ass. Halo Mac modding can only do so much.
Last edited by HandofGod on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

VicFirth

Post by VicFirth » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:59 pm

I care!!!!